• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aaron's Bag

Aaron_D

* Ace Member *
Stable Control Driver
one champ and one star leopard and a solf/sols combo all 175 (really I consider all my discs stable control drivers...)

Distance Driver
a sols , solf , and one z predator all 175

Understable Driver

one star leopard tuned understable , and one sols tuned understable both 175

Moderately Overstable Driver

solf 175

Very Overstable Driver
z predator 171

Mids
one dx and one kc roc both near 180

Putters
two 165 proto wizards, one thrashed 171 ss wizard for touch upshots, and one beat medium s wizard for drives

so its:
4 wizards
2 rocs
2 leopards
2 orions ls/lf
1 pred

fits in my revo mini

Why the Leopard in particular vs the other slow speed drivers you've had in that slot previously?

Eric O said:
Why the Leopard in particular vs the other slow speed drivers you've had in that slot previously?

yeah curious as well, have only thrown Champ Leos in the past and had a hard time finessing it, kinda similar to a Champ Panther, a cat of another flavor

I just came out of a period of all dx discs they were:

wizards, rocs, teebirds, valks, pred (well i guess the pred isnt)

My dx teebirds were my fairway drivers and I could get them out to maybe 330-360 on a low line drive. Teebirds really need more air to get them out past that, especially if they are flippy which mine are (which I like). I find that for lines I would use my teebirds I can throw the champ/star leopards. I get the leos out to the same D on low lines. Drivers like cyclones, gazelles, cheetahs, and the like need more height to go the same D as the JLS, XL and leopard. My favorite fairway driver of all time is the standard JLS, but they get beat up really fast. I went in search of a disc that was close to the standard jls. I tried the z and x XL, the q and s JLS, 10x and 11x cheetahs, etc. and found out that a seasoned star or champ leopard is as close as it gets.

On a more general note, I am gravitating towards more understable drivers in general and relying more on wrist roll and hyzer to get them going straight and left.

When I asked about the Leopard, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for as far as disc comparisons. Thanks!

Aaron_D said:
On a more general note, I am gravitating towards more understable drivers in general and relying more on wrist roll and hyzer to get them going straight and left.

hmm keep us posted on how that works out.

Well, Ive been doing it a lot with my all dx bag and it has worked out great. I prefer to throw the slowest driver I can for any given shot and I find I can get leopards out pretty far if I give them a lot of hyzer and wrist roll and I dont have to air them out. Same for the SOLS, I am throwing it consistently farther than I was throwing the pro wraith and esp flash that were competeing for that slot. They were longer on some throws, but they were so nose angle sensitive they would often get 1 or 2 degrees too nose up and stall or get 1 or two degrees down and bite the dirt. I also dont have to throw the orion as hard.

Aaron_D said:
Well, Ive been doing it a lot with my all dx bag and it has worked out great. I prefer to throw the slowest driver I can for any given shot and I find I can get leopards out pretty far if I give them a lot of hyzer and wrist roll and I dont have to air them out. Same for the SOLS, I am throwing it consistently farther than I was throwing the pro wraith and esp flash that were competeing for that slot. They were longer on some throws, but they were so nose angle sensitive they would often get 1 or 2 degrees too nose up and stall or get 1 or two degrees down and bite the dirt. I also dont have to throw the orion as hard.

Many here have praised the ESP Flash for the glide and touted it as the longest disc on the market for golf shots. Chris Voight has thrown it to 205 meters so it works for distance lines too. On which lines did you throw the ESP Flash against the SOLS and the Pro Wraith? Were the Wraith and the Flash 175 too?

the flash is faster than the sols. The flashis a great disc, but the sols has a thinner rim and is slower but is almost as long for me. I can throw the flash a little bit farther, but not enough to justify it. The sols fits in my hand better and is more controllable.

the sols and pro wraiths were 175 the esp flash is 173. Im talking about the 1.2 sols which is f-ing amazing. SO domey.

Aaron_D said:
the flash is faster than the sols. The flashis a great disc, but the sols has a thinner rim and is slower but is almost as long for me. I can throw the flash a little bit farther, but not enough to justify it. The sols fits in my hand better and is more controllable.

the sols and pro wraiths were 175 the esp flash is 173. Im talking about the 1.2 sols which is f-ing amazing. SO domey.

I watched Hwicha throw 1.1 SOLS dunno about the weight and in L>R winds it seemed susceptible to the wind so maybe a 1.2 is better. Is it more high speed stable like SOLF is 1.1 vs 1.2? How would you compare the HSS of a SOLS 1.2 vs SOLF 1.1 175? That's what I have and would like a straighter finishing disc with at least as much HSS or more. Wondering if SOLS 1.2 fits the bill.

the 1.1 and 1.2 sols are much more similar than they are compared to any run solf. The sols should be very straight if hyzerflipped up to about 400' in calm conditions with a straight finish. They dont hold up to headwinds, that's what solfs are for. The 1.2 solf is really great in windy conditions--better than a teebird imo. I liked the teebird better than the first run solf for windy conditions. In calm conditions I cannot flip the 1.2 solf past flat on a smooth throw and I have put them over 430'.

The 1.2 sols is much domier than the first runs and it seems a few ticks more stable. I would not really care too much if I were throwing a first run or 1.2 sols, but I would rather throw a 1.2 solf a lot more than a first run.

A lot of people think the sols is good for players who throw in the 330-350 range because it is fairly understable, but truly the JLS is better for players in that range and the orions only really become truly useful after you are regularly breaking 380'. One catch is that you have to have a throw with less OAT to get the most out of these discs.

Thanks. I've found out the OAT susceptibility of SOLF 1.1. There aren't any 1.2s in Finland yet to my knowledge. How much does a 1.2 SOLF fade for you?

Dunno about 380' regularly with a SOLS or SOLF because I haven't thrown my SOLF recently. I do get to 380 with Destroyer and Wraith regularly. Skip on top of that.

Aaron_D said:
the 1.1 and 1.2 sols are much more similar than they are compared to any run solf. The sols should be very straight if hyzerflipped up to about 400' in calm conditions with a straight finish. They dont hold up to headwinds, that's what solfs are for. The 1.2 solf is really great in windy conditions--better than a teebird imo. I liked the teebird better than the first run solf for windy conditions. In calm conditions I cannot flip the 1.2 solf past flat on a smooth throw and I have put them over 430'.

The 1.2 sols is much domier than the first runs and it seems a few ticks more stable. I would not really care too much if I were throwing a first run or 1.2 sols, but I would rather throw a 1.2 solf a lot more than a first run.

A lot of people think the sols is good for players who throw in the 330-350 range because it is fairly understable, but truly the JLS is better for players in that range and the orions only really become truly useful after you are regularly breaking 380'. One catch is that you have to have a throw with less OAT to get the most out of these discs.

Im having a fever--the only cure is more millennium.

3 wizards
2 rocs
2 JLS's
2 OLS's
2 OLF's
1 Pred

My putters and mids havent changed since moses dropped commandments 10-15.

(2) 165g proto wizards
(1) 171g SS wizard - flipper than any silly magic. used for all upshots and off the tee.

(1) 176g dx roc - Im finding I prefer 175-177g rocs over max weight ones. They seem to be easier to finesse. I like to have a thrashed dx for straight and understable needs as well as max D turnover roc drives up to about 350'.

(1) 175g kc roc - I like have a kc in the bag because it is a little more stable than the dx and I dont have to worry about it turning over as much.

(2) 175g JLS's - I tried for so long to find a disc that lasted longer and still flew like a standard max weight JLS. The champ leopard is close, but there really is no substitute. This disc is bad to the bone son. I think the J stands for chains.

(2) 175g M Orion LS's - these are my max D drivers. They are quite simply the longest discs I have. The 1.2 SOLS is also very nice, but the standard OLS is flippier and longer which is what I want from this disc. I also throw all my rollers with these.

(1) 175g M Orion LF - long and straight. boom. is there anything else to say? This disc is my go to for max D straight throws near my max range.

(1) 175g S Orion LF - 1.2 baby! This thing is rock solid. Super long and stable in a wide variety of conditions. I can count on this disc when the winds are up. But if the winds are really howling...

(1) 171g elite z Predator - overhands, sharp curves, hyzers, side arm, flex shots, this disc sees a lot of action. This disc is so incredibly dependable I feel confident throwing it max power into severe headwinds--just give it a little hyzer and it gets great penetration.

back on the teebird bandwagon and experimenting with max weight putters.

4 175g wizards
3 rocs 2 dx and 1 kc 176ish
2 JLS's
5 teebirds 2 dx 2 kc 1 champ
2 OLS's M 175g
1 solf 1.2
1 z pred 171g

Aaron_D said:
back on the teebird bandwagon and experimenting with max weight putters.

4 175g wizards
3 rocs 2 dx and 1 kc 176ish
2 JLS's
5 teebirds 2 dx 2 kc 1 champ
2 OLS's M 175g
1 solf 1.2
1 z pred 171g
3 whole days without Teebirds, you must have been jonesin' pretty bad by the end there. ;)

duuuuuuude. I went out in the field with a bag of nothing but teebirds and fell in love with them all over again. Honestly 10x kc and dx teebirds are incredibly similar. Teebirds complete me.

Dude...I was in the PIAS the other day and there were two roc's with Aaron D on them. I found it kind of funny. Wonder if they were yours from a trade.

Latest posts