• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

About giving away discs

runnaman

Eagle Member
I was playing Herbert Hoover park today and two guys (probably 17-18 years old) came up with one disc each and I let them play through. When I got to hole 9th hole they were searching for a disc one of them lost in the bushes. After a few minutes of helping them look, they gave up and walked up the hill to wait for their ride, I'm assuming.

So I finished the 9th hole and thought about it for a while and decided to give him one of my discs, in hopes that he will someday return the favor. Kind of like a pay it foreward type thing.

I'm just curious: does anyone else feel good after giving away discs? I know I do.

That was a real nice thing to do, giving that dude a disc. Don't know if I would of done the same thing, i'm kindof greedy and all, lol. But I'm just here to say Kudoes to you man.

You're good peoples runnaman. :)

In the past I've give a few friends putters that had none as I tried to find the right one for me.
Last time I gave someone a disc I was out playing when I saw two girls trying to play with a beach frisbee. I pulled a sharpie and blacked out my ink on the back of a dx leopard I hadn't thrown much yet. Jogged over and gave it to them. I think they thought I was being a creep at first, lmao. I had to convince them I really was just giving it to them no strings attached and it hopefully should make the game more enjoyable and they'll want to play again.

I have given away a couple of discs that I don't use to friends and family who have started playing the game. I am also one of the suckers who gave a disc to War Eagle when he told us his garage was broken into. I would rather have given him one and been tricked than not helped out.

I havn't yet, but I keep one in my bag in case that time arises that I feel someone deserves a disc! lol....I let someone borrow a putter this week for doubles, my friend brought his friend and gave him some discs to borrow but said he didn't have a putter, so I had 4 in my bag and let him borrow mine...he was in my group to so that helped lol I carry extra mini's too in case someone needs to borrow one

yea good job with giving that disc away i can say that i defiantly would not have done that do people that i don't even know...good job man!

nice dude, hopefully they return the favor to someone in the future, cause the community of the game is the best part, knowing you are good to go anywhere, and will be welcomed by the locals.

I got a box of older/found discs that I let friends play with that are just starting. I'll sell a couple to them for like $3-$7 or so. If I see a fairly young (younger than 16) person out making an effort I would throw a couple his way. It feels good to get new people going in the game.

I lost a dx leopard in Troy, NC. Threw it at dusk into the weeds. The next day I got a call from a kid just walking across the park who found it. He said he didn't play was just walking through. I told him to keep it and gave him a brief description of what to do with it. I'm hoping he tried the game.

I've gave more discs to my friends than I currently have in my trunk, but they've gave plenty back. And I still have more than I can throw.

I'm all for this, I think it's in the spirit of the sport and sheds a positive image for the sport on new players. I've got a buch of old beat up discs in my trunk. When I see a noob or a kid with only a disc or two, then I give them a disc or two for free. I've probably given away 15-20 discs over the last 3-4 years. They discs are no longer of use for me, hopefully it'll further enhance their experience, and it's good karma....at least I feel good about it.

Your karma has increased +1... Seriously, I have always thought if you want to make the world a better place you start at home or with yourself. I have given away my fair share of plastic to people just starting out. It does make you feel good to give in the hopes they will do the same in the future.

Just started working with a guy about 3 weeks ago, and he notices me on different disc golf websites all the time. He started asking me about it and he seemed interested, and has 4 kids between the ages of 14-18. He also lives within 3 miles of a course. So I went through my stash and picked out 2 wizards, 3 beadless aviars, 2 Elements, 1 stingray, 2 classic rocs, 2 comets, 1 valkyrie, 2 leopards, and 2 magics. Just told him to keep them and try it out, and if they didn't like the sport then I would take them back. This made my wife happy to get rid of some plastic. She said I need to get rid of a few hundred more, but I disagree. Well he played monday and they said they enjoyed it, but was really sore.

My home course is located next to a campground, so every weekend we get to introduce the sport to hundreds of campers, so I always keep a few extra discs in my bag in case one of the campers is interested and wants to try. It is cool to have a constant exposure to potential new players on a weekly basis.

I was playing Dolese Park in OKC and as I was finishing got to talking with this guy who was just starting his round on the first tee. He told me he was up from Texas on business and only brought one driver with him, not expecting to have a chance to play, and really needed a putter. Well, I drove off but as I passed him, I tossed him an extra putter, right out the window of my car.

I felt good even when giving love OK to TX :D

I think it's a great way to sow seeds for the sport by giving discs to newbiew, especially kids...I've done it a ton of times over the years and it's awesome to see how some of the people have stuck with it and are regular players now...

I've never had any give me one, but I have a great excuse to buy new plastic when I pass one of mine on :)

What a great way to grow the sport! I totally agree. I was in a soccer field throwing a few weeks ago and there was a boy that seemed the most interested out of the group. He was watching me throw and yelling out the occasional "wow". So I gave him a dx aviar and he seemed real happy.

I remember when I was given my first disc, now I've been playing for 8 years and given away at least 100 discs. Not trying to toot my own horn here, just trying to encourage everyone to look for someone to give to this week. Grow the Sport!

I remember when I was given my first disc, now I've been playing for 8 years and given away at least 100 discs. Not trying to toot my own horn here, just trying to encourage everyone to look for someone to give to this week. Grow the Sport!

Awesome...

and the obligatory smartass comment...

It doesn't hurt to be in the right place when that Innova tractor-trailer just happened to jack-knife and spill its contents on the highway that fateful day eh?