• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

About giving away discs

I've given away several hundred discs over the years -- mostly to new players to get them hooked. I try to keep a couple of beginner-friendly discs in the car, suitable for new folks, so I don't feel obligation to give away the discs I really throw. Though I've found that I've given away both my money pearly champ Orcs lately, which is leaving a hole in my bag... working on beating in a replacement.

I have started carrying an extra disc with me to give away. Right now it is a 12x KC pro roc, so I'm not just planning on giving someone an old crappy disc. I don't throw Rocs, but I realize how great of a disc it is and that it is a good all-around disc for beginners. I will always carry a disc to give away now, and probably mostly Rocs since I tend to find them a lot. I also gave a DX aviar P&A to my friends neighbor's kid, who is about 6 or so. He always came over when we were putting with the skillshot, so I figured he should have his own disc.

Putters is what i mostly give away when i see people putting with sidewinders because thats all the have. I have given away probably 10 putters and a couple drivers.

I let a friend borrow a disc and she was doing pretty good with it, so I just let her keep it as her first disc.

ive given away about 10-12 in the last week...i find them all over the place and if they have no numbers ill hang on to them...so after i build up a bag of like 40-50 i start handing them out to friends or people i meet on the course and start seeing out there more frequently...i ran into a kid in my summer class on the course 2 days ago and him and his buddy just started and were using trashed discs so i gave them both like-new beasts and wraiths...i mean, i found them so im not out any money or anything

I steal discs, mission impossible style. Set your bag down on the bench, I rappel down from the trees and yank your favorite champ roc. OK not really. I give most of my unnamed found dx discs to my brother who just got into the game recently. I once gave a guy a disc I found on the same hole I was looking for my lost disc b/c he found mine and couldn't find his. Maybe if I had a job I'd carry a give away disc with some Werther's Originals. But I'm poor.

I lost my Skeeter in the water at Memorial Park in Wausau, WI last fall. I loved this disc - not a great distance disc but an all-around up-shot disc that flies straight at low speeds (great for us old guys). If I don't need a good fade, this was my go-to disc for the up-shot. After mucking around in the duck poop in the pond for about 30 minutes, I gave it up for gone - played my Shark instead as it's a very similar disc. Still, I had a soft spot for that Skeeter, we'd been through a lot together.

In the meantime, I'd been carrying around a Champ Orc in my bag for the past couple years, never throwing it on the course because while practicing in the field I'd learned that I'm just not strong enough to throw it correctly. You get where this is going...

So I get a call this spring from a guy who found my Skeeter while looking for his disc, and he's willing to meet me at the course to return it. I show up, and he's there (nipple rings and tattoos from head to foot) with my disc. I'm in my 2008 Corolla, and I don't think he believed I could be a DG'er - so I walked up and said "are you the guy that found my Skeeter?" He said, "Dude...this belongs to you," and handed me my old disc. I showed him my Champ Orc, and asked if he thought he could use it. When he said "dude!" I assumed he was replying in the affirmative, so I gave it to him.

I hope it's flying well out of his hand, as it never did from mine. And I've got my little Skeeter back.

I love DG. Dude.

I feel you, I lost my first and favorite skeeter in god knows where in Castle Hayne, NC. Never got it back though. Wahh.

i've given away 5-10, but hopefully that'll just keep going up.

I feel sorry for all the lost Skeeters. I just got one and absolutely love it. I don't use my rocs anymore because me Skeeter is just so cool. (knock on wood) I hope I never lose it.

I feel sorry for all the lost Skeeters. I just got one and absolutely love it. I don't use my rocs anymore because me Skeeter is just so cool. (knock on wood) I hope I never lose it.

If you need your Skeeter to fade at the end (like to get around a grove of trees or bushes, use your Roc instead - it will fly like the Skeeter and fade off major at the end of the flight.

lmao if only it were that sort of scenario. But alas they were fully dressed and if I had to guess might have been reallllllly good friends.

should be some kind of law though that says if you are going to play with beach toys you have to wear a swimsuit while doing so.

Ive given away at least 30 discs, always to new players and I never think twice about it. In fact I didn't even know about trading for discs till I got on this site. To me if I can give away a disc and get a new person into disc golf Ive done my job. Also if I'm not using something and a buddy needs what I got then they get it, its doing me no good and it helps there game. At least thats how I see it.

Your freaking wierd dude. Your a freak of human nature. Give away a disc? for free? to kids? Only disc i give away is the ones i can't find after 30 minutes of looking. You must work at one of those soup places for homeless people. This isn't a miss america pageant bro. World hunger is non solveable.

haha just yanking your chain. Good for you bro i wish i ran into people like you more often.

Just a thought...what if those kids were playing with a disc you previously lost??? hmmmm? oh the irony

Played a tourney about a month back and we finished the last round with a thunderstorm from hell...about an inch of rain in 30 mins. When I got home I took my discs out and spread them on my front porch to dry out, along with my bag. My wife and I decided we wanted pizza, so we had one delivered out. When the pizza guy got there, he saw the discs spread out, and said "hey u play disc golf?" I was surprised that someone actually knew what it was. Since I have a lot of extra discs, I asked what he threw, and he said he only had a few discs, so I gave him 3. He said that was the best tip he'd ever gotten....made me feel pretty good, and hopefully I've gotten another addict going!