• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advantages/Disadvantages...

jbombo34

Rit w/water vs. Rit w/acetone in the dipping method.

I have read endless threads on dyeing and have pretty much absorbed about as much info as I can stand w/o dying. (No pun intended). I haven't found this direct question answered but I also haven't read everything there is to read. I have pretty much figured out that the ratio from rit to mix liquid is whatever you want if you get the desired result. I did my first disc 4 cups of water to 1 tsp of powder rit. Turned out pretty good. Set disc in for about 20 min and I was pleased. Now I have a multi-colored disc I want to dye and am wondering if using acetone gives it an advantage and if so what ratio do I use?

My first attempt at dyeing. 4 c. water: 1 tsp rit pwd
313577_10150923667225111_517405110_21436732_1069495750_n.jpg
[/IMG]

There's no real reason to use acetone for dip-dyeing. Plenty of reasons not to though. Here's why:
1)It costs more than tap water
2)It doesn't mix with water
3)It evaporates rapidly(especially when floating on hot water)
4)It presents the possibility that you could potentially start dissolving the vinyl mask if you put too much acetone in.
5)It could potentially ignite into one glorious fireball if you're sloppy with it.

note that this is just for dip-dyeing. Any other method is it's own story.

Acetone would be bad news for dip dying. It is very flammable. It does work well for painting however.

Advantages are that it works very quickly giving good results in very little time. You can also get a brush painted look from it like you would see in a painting.

Disadvantages are that it will eat vinyl if you aren't careful, and it's a little more difficult to get a good solid color.

At least that has been my experience with acetone.