• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advantages vs. Disadvantages of Swedish Throwing Style

cornelius

Par Member
I'm just wondering if there's any distinct advantages to throwing in the swedish style as compared to the American style such as more distance,accuracy,consistency.

as far as I know, same as any style. All depends on your ability to control your body, your timing and your dedication. I guess Blake would also throw in natural ability since there are going to be folks who will never progress beyond a certain point because of natural ability.

Blake mentioned something to me about this, as I use to have a more Swedish style, distance is the biggest disadvantage from the way he made it sound. But, accuracy prevailed. The ratio between what's gained and lost between the other styles, I really don't know. I'm sure anyone sitting in the medium range of either style would be pretty much equal in distance and accuracy.

You have to think of the upper bounds of the form before you really see any major advantage or disadvantage become relevant to a point it should begin to be discussed. So, until you're really pushing the envelope in a certain style, I don't really think the style matters nearly as much as people make it sound. As Blake has said, until you know how to hit it, everything else really doesn't matter. As once you learn to hit it, everything has to change to fit that, so you'll end up reworking your throw to better facilitate the hit. The hit doesn't change, but everything before it will usually need to be changed so it works with the hit. So everything before the hit isn't as important "UNTIL" you can hit it in either style.

just like going through high school,
i wish i could hit it...

i'm upset throwing mids over 300, and i 'slip' most every driver shot ... someday, i'll figure it out

and like its been said before, i dont matter which style, you just have to see what they are doing to get the "hit", being a noob myself, i'm guessing its 75%grip and wrist extesion, get those two timed right, and no matter what you do leading up to that will only effect the other 25%

swedes do look very comfortable throwing, but i think its easier to get the timing "taught" going with the american style

... just random thoughts, sorry to but in

I agree, back when I was throwing more with a swede type throw. It was very comfortable. But, I was more prone to OAT, due to the leverage of the arm, more like a catapult instead of whip. Because I threw with sort of down to up motion, I OATed a lot. Now that I've changed my form, It took me a bit longer to really figure out how to hit it "part of the way." You say you're confused with throwing mids over 300...

I'm throwing putters 320-350', with a Index finger wrapped, fan grip. But, my drivers (SOLF, Cyclones, TL's) are slowly going farther to 380-400', but my last step(stepping too far) and rotation/follow through were hurting me. Since I was stepping too far, it was keeping my weight back and kept me from rotating into my follow through like I should. But, I'm still not getting quite the distance I should be with my drivers, which I personally think is like you say, due to my lack of gripping tighter right at the rip. I have been working with a Powerball to get my grip strength up though. Either way you go, the hit is the most important.

Yes, I completely agree there! I can throw some crazy far Annies now with my current form, I was terrible at throwing them before. I relied on throwing hyzer flips with something really under stable then.

swedish style is easy to build leverage and timing, but that doesn't mean it will have better results for a given person.

bent elbow is actually the easiest way to learn timing, but again, it doesn't mean it will have better results for a given person.

based upon your PM's this isn't something i would be worrying about at this time, as the fundamentals you are struggling are the same in swedish throwing as american throwing.

Latest posts