• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice On First Set of Discs

WaterHole

Bogey Member
Ok I have played 8 rounds of DG so far and I am looking to make an investment into my own set of discs. (I have been using my friends "I don't wanna use discs" so far) I am looking to buy this set next week so I was hoping for some feedback on the discs that I chose, from some of the veteran players. The set I am buying are as follows... And yes I'm partial to Innova as that is what I have been playing with. However if you have any advice on a disc that would rival that with another brand I would be happy to hear it..

DX Beast 171g
Pro Wraith 174g
Champion Groove 170g
Champion Valkyrie 172g
DX Valkyrie 168g
Champion Monarch 170g
Dragon 150g
DX Leopard 170g
DX Viper 172g <-- I know its exp. but I have been using a whippet lol.
DX Cobra 150g
Star Kite 161g
Champion Aviar 175g
Millenium JLS 175g
Pro Boss 172g <-- cheap enough I want to learn on. I know its exp.
Pro D Challenger 170g

Please feel free to tell me your thoughts as this will be an investment and this will probably be the only time I get experienced advice lol.. :eek:
Thank you all in advance.

A lot of that will be too fast for you (will fade left on a RHBH really early) for a while. There are some good discs for learning with though.

The Aviar/Challenger, Cobra, and JLS/Leopard are all going to grow with you from new to experienced.

The Viper will make a nice overstable complement after you've gotten your form in good shape. I would avoid it early on though because its overstability will mask a lot of form flaws.

The Monarch and Valkyrie will also be nice when you're ready to start throwing faster discs.

The thing to do will be to spend time absorbing all the information you can on this page as the wealth of information contained in there will be vital to improving your form. It'll be a little frustrating at first, but once you get that in shape, the real fun begins!

Last edited:
Nice shopping list. If you can afford it, I don't see any problem. 15 Discs will require a good sized bag; that's about max cap for a Fade Crunch Box (I've had 18 in mine, but was a VERY tight fit), so if you plan on acquiring more discs down the line (and we all know you DO), you may want to look at touney sized bags and shoulder straps.

Discwise, the only things I can offer are to check out the Discraft Buzzz (stable mid) and Glide (understable fairway driver/mid) in Z plastics; you won't be disappointed.

I had a big long reply typed up and my stupid phone lost the connection...

Anyway, welcome to the site! My fellow members here will be shocked by this, but I highly recommend MVP discs. You would be well served by the beginner friendly Amp fairway, Tangent midrange, and Ion putter. Yea, they are premium discs, and a tad pricier. But the quality and durabilty of MVP plastic is second to none.

It's something to consider if you ever wanted to try something out besides Innova. :)

My two cents:

Anything over speed 9 forget it. For now. Do yourself a favor, buy a really good putter that feels great in the hand, depending on how far/fast you are throwing now and your current form, I agree the leopard dx 150-165g would be a great disc to teach you so much about nose angles, release angles and snap. Honestly I would recommend a putter to putt with that feels good, a driving putter like an ion or a judge or KC aviar, a buzz or an mvp axis or a roc and leopard and perhaps a lighter dx teebird.

This is all you need to start and even score below par. Throw your putter as much as possible on drives until you can hit about 200' then start really digging into the teebird and leopard. Play putter and mid ranges exclusively once in a while. To start, simpler is better.

First form, then more discs. Then form, more discs, and repeat. Hope it helps

I realize some of them are out of my range as of now.. But I wanted them to experiment with. I have spent countless hours though on here (before I actually signed up lol) and watching countless hours of "clinics" to better myself at DG. Out of my friends bag I was using the following..

Whippet<-- was using for Fairway to Mid Range
Champion Valkyrie<-- Off the Tee
Experimental Driver? <--that's what it said lol..
Unknown putter

I felt that if I got the faster ones now, now that I know the specs on the discs that I will be able to learn them and eventually have a good varying bag. ?

Would you suggest substituting some discs for others to begin with?

You would be well served by the beginner friendly Amp fairway, Tangent midrange, and Ion putter. Yea, they are premium discs, and a tad pricier. But the quality and durabilty of MVP plastic is second to none.

It's something to consider if you ever wanted to try something out besides Innova. :)

^this

I was in a place of stutter until I threw an axis. My whole world changed, now my bag is all mvp because of how they feel and how I throw them different than other discs.

Honestly, the biggest thing that helped my game was getting my own basket.

Maybe just buy a couple mids, a ten pack of putters, and buy or build a basket.... Everyone can drive 300'+, not everyone can consistantly crank out 50' putts.

Welcome to the addiction!

Most disc golf shops have various testers to try. Go throw a slew of stuff. Try discraft, DD, Mvp, prodigy, lat/ww and legacy or any others. Make sure that the discs you do buy feel good to you. Put a target out there, gather all of your discs and throw for a hour before you buy. Some discs that are high speed drivers will go no farther than your mids. The ones that feel good, and you throw accurately are good to start with. Brand is just that. I do agree that having some high speed discs is nice to play with, but they also can form bad habits to get distance.

I am throwing around 320'-350' max D and for the winter will work on mechanics and putting. I throw nothing over speed 9. A volt and amp are my DD's. I know how the addiction goes of you want discs you will get them, but you be like me with 40+ discs and 16 I throw... The others were purchased trying to buy distance and accuracy.

With the above list of discs that I was handed I was taking par on 5 of 18 holes with a bogy on the rest except one that I can't hit without +3 lol..

I am RHBH but have been throwing in the field trying FH ..

I will take your advice in mind though as I do always when someone has played more than I.. :thmbup:

Don't bother with the wraith, groove or boss. They are all way too fast for you.

I realize some of them are out of my range as of now.. But I wanted them to experiment with. I have spent countless hours though on here (before I actually signed up lol) and watching countless hours of "clinics" to better myself at DG. Out of my friends bag I was using the following..

Whippet<-- was using for Fairway to Mid Range
Champion Valkyrie<-- Off the Tee
Experimental Driver? <--that's what it said lol..
Unknown putter

I felt that if I got the faster ones now, now that I know the specs on the discs that I will be able to learn them and eventually have a good varying bag. ?

Would you suggest substituting some discs for others to begin with?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry having a diverse bag at this time. Especially with the high speed drivers. At this stage you really should heed tbird's advice. You don't "need" a diverse bag to score well. Some of my best rounds have been from using 2 or 3 discs.

Learning how to throw that leopard and a neutral mid and having a putter you are comfortable with will teach you more about "how" to throw and score well. The slower drivers will help you keep the discs in the fairway and are less likely to get you in trouble.

YeahYoHey!

as stated avoid anything too fast (stick to speed 7 or below if you can) and avoid the groove period.

Other than that, enjoy.

There's lots of great choices. For me, the MVP Neutron Anode has yet been the best disc I've thrown. I highly recommend it. It's neutral putter that's pretty forgiving and extremely straight.

Stick with speed 7 and under like the others have said.

Yes to the Leopard. I didn't like them for a long time but the disc is good. The Leopard will be your main driver for a while. When the Leopard gets flippy you can get another one in max weight champ plastic. After that you can look into used Eagles or Teebirds.

If you must try faster discs, give the Roadrunner a try.

Innova makes a starter set which has a leopard, shark and aviar. Those are wonderful starter discs. If you throw in an eagle or a teebird and maybe a roc, you'll be able to enjoy yourself a lot from the start while throwing discs that you can grow with. If the roc seems too overstable, consider a cobra or stingray to pair with the shark. Do avoid anything faster than the teebird/or eagle. It will just teach you form flaws at this stage of the game. Oh, and to the mention of the MVP tangent, very nice disc if you want to try something non innova. Enjoy!

I bought an unreasonably large collection of discs when I started last spring. What I learned from the experience is that gateway putters are awesome and high speed drivers can suck it. If you can't kick ass with a magic (or aviar, which is also great) you sure as hell aren't going to do well with a full bag of drivers.