• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

johnny1153

is an older player that does not have the snap they used to have, better off with a lighter weight disc or a heavier one? i bought me a boss the other day and thought i would be able to throw it farther than my other old hand me downs. about 150 or 200 ft. is all i am good for. i am 57. any help would get a real big thank you. maybe i am just not holding them at the right angle.

If you're only throwing 150-200 ft, you should not be throwing high speed drivers like the boss. High speed drivers, like the boss, are designed for people that can throw over 400ft. You will get better results throwing putters and midranges than you will drivers because you do not they arm speed, yet, to get them up to their cruising speed. Once you develop better form you will get better results with faster discs. Plenty of older guys can still throw far because throwing far is more about form than pure strength.

I suggest you so a search for discing down or read the 2nd post in this link https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17397

Last edited:
The fastest disc you should be throwing is a Leopard. Put that Boss away, or better yet, sell it.

While I agree with what everyone before me has said, to answer your question, lighter weight discs are better for anyone who lacks arm speed and snap. My parents, both older than you, use lighter weight discs for the most part. My dad, who throws forehand and can get them to go sometimes has some heavier discs for the wind.

I agree with the lighter weights. See if you can find a lighter , Buzz, Leopard, or Valkyrie. I would start with those. Also, a LS Polaris is a good disc if you don't have alot of power.

My friend can't throw very hard, and he throws a light weight Leopard, and he can throw it pretty far for him (about 260ft).

I've had the honor of "teaching" a few new players this past year, and the disc that I usually give them for a backhand driver is a Roadrunner <champ or star>, usually in the 160ish g range. Everyone seems to do fairly well with it.

First of all, hello fellow older player!

What midranges do you have in your bag? Right now, midranges are in your wheelhouse, so they will fly the way they are designed. Throwing drivers that are too fast will teach you bad habits that (I can attest) are very hard to un-learn.

If you are throwing 150-200', I suggest a glidey, understable midrange like a Comet or Fuse, probably in the mid-160s. These discs use glide rather than speed to achieve distance. With practice, you should find that you can throw midranges about as far as you can throw a driver, but with much better control. Control keeps you on the fairway.:)

The other thing that a Comet or Fuse will do is help you with your form. If they immediately turn right into the ground (assuming you throw right hand backhand), keep throwing them in a field until you can throw them straight, curving left, and curving right.

As a bonus, most people find that they score as well or better with midranges and putters. Distance is great, but distance without control just means that you spend more time looking for your discs in the underbrush.

Good luck!

is an older player that does not have the snap they used to have, better off with a lighter weight disc or a heavier one?

I switched to throwing 150s recently, and find that my joints are much less sore after a day on the course. Lighter discs are easier to throw faster, so you may see a bit more distance from them. Lighter discs are also more sensitive to flaws in how you throw them, and they will also get bounced around more by the wind. For more info on 150s, check Marmoset's summary of 150 pros and cons (clicky)

maybe i am just not holding them at the right angle.

When you throw midranges or slower drivers, try to keep the disc on the same plane throughout your throw. Many people find that the most consistent throws come from keeping the outer edge of the disc tilted very slightly away from you (hyzer, in the lingo).

Just to emphasize, though, there is no "right angle" for you to throw a Boss right now.;)

is an older player that does not have the snap they used to have, better off with a lighter weight disc or a heavier one?

Yep and I'm living proof of it. I'm 53 with a bad back and a loose shoulder socket (from a fracture). I can barely control a 150 Polaris LS and only throw anything faster or more overstable under certain wind conditions. My main disc is a 150 Gateway Element.

FWIW, there is lighter stuff out there but I find it too squirrelly. Slower 165 stuff (another Element) isn't too bad either.

i can't stress enough how players who think they don't have any distance need to pick up discs like valks and gazelles and whatnot. you don't need to throw hard, just smooth. sometimes, i'll throw a champ valk just right from a standstill shot nice and smooth, and the little bastard will glide 300+ feet past the pin effectively making me question my game

I think this will be a really good thread for future use, but I have an odd question. Can one of the mods change the title to "aging and snap related question" or something similar so it is easier to search?

Nice thread idea

Okay so I'm 60 and I played Oak Grove yesterday, throwing farther and with better accuracy than ever before, even better than when I was a young f@rt of, oh, say, 50.

So don't sweat it, pal. Work on form and you'll be scaring the hell out of trees in no time flat :D

Okay so I'm 60 and I played Oak Grove yesterday, throwing farther and with better accuracy than ever before, even better than when I was a young f@rt of, oh, say, 50.

So don't sweat it, pal. Work on form and you'll be scaring the hell out of trees in no time flat :D

Good point - I am still a young f@rt of 50, and I can throw a hundred feet farther than when I was a pup. Technique trumps strength, at least up to a point (and I hope I haven't reached that point yet).

150-160 r-pro boss, 150 champ valkyrie, 160 champ or star roadrunner or 160 esp avenger ss would be my driver suggestions.
For mids/fairways, 160 champ leopard, 160 z stalker, 170 z glide, 170 star stingray.

I'm 64 and have tried a bunch of drivers and made all the mistakes in selecting discs that I couldn't get to perform.

I really feel you should try a 166 or so Squall in Proline plastic (made by Discraft for DGA). If you get a new one in that weight and don't like it, PM me and I'll buy it from you. I'm RHBH. The Squall will hold any line, but it tends to be straight with a little fade at the end. Stay on the fairway and score.