• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alternative to Ice for water bottles

SirRaph

Double Eagle Member
Living in Tennessee, I try to stay as hydrated as possible. I use a Revolution Carolina Team Bag, and always fill both drink holders with a max size Nalgene bottle.

But as the summer heat starts to pick up, I'm finding that even if I fill the bottles to the top with ice, they're pee warm after the first round. And even after the first two holes, the ice has melted enough that it jingles around in my bag like I'm sporting sleigh bells.

I've seen the water bottles with the little freezable rods built into them, but I'd like to get something that's separate from the bottle, since I've dropped a pretty penny on 4 Nalgenes, and would like to use them if possible.

Google hasn't helped me, so I turn to you, DGR! What do you guys use?

You know, if you drink cold water your body has to raise it's temp to heat the water up. If you drink luke warm water, it just processes it (warning this is something that my tennis coach use to tell me but I have no idea if it is true or not.)

Also down here in NC I usually fill my nalgene's with water, freeze them over night, and they last the whole round. If I am playing a PDGA I throw the two I'm not using in a cooler and they are usually still mostly frozen when I pull them out for the second round.

You could just invest in a thermos or two.

I suppose you could try leaving your 2nd water bottle in the car. Put it in a little portable cooler with a handful of icepacks. Do the same technique of filling it with Ice and seeing how it ends up.

I suppose what you could try is filling the nalgene a little over half with water and freezing that the day before the round (make sure you leave the lid off so that the expansion of the water doesn't break your bottle).Top that off and you've got a much more solid chunk of ice instead a bunch of smaller chunks that melt faster.

Good luck!

edit: Apparently Delicious beat me to the punch on freezing the bottles...

I freeze them when the summer hits. It has been 95+, when it isnt raining, so ice cubes rarely make it past the first couple holes. not much you can, ice melts, just tough it out

I've found that the insulated drink holders on the GB bags really do help keep my SS water bottles cold longer. This is not to say that they stay cold the whole time on a hot summer day but at that point I don't care if it's cool or not as long as it's wet.

I'll also do what Frank does and bring a cooler with some ice and extra water.

Getting opaque bottles helps keep things cool, sunlight really helps to heat things up quick. You can get neoprene sleeves for nalgenes too. But yeah, I've heard the same thing Frank was talking about, and have heard that's why bedouins opt for hot tea to stay hydrated in the desert. I personally would rather drink room temp water than ice cold, but I agree that a steaming hot bottle of water isn't what I'm looking for when I want refreshment in the summertime.

Usually once its that hot, I'm too thirsty to care about temperature. Actually, I don't want it too cold.

Frank Delicious said:
You know, if you drink cold water your body has to raise it's temp to heat the water up. If you drink luke warm water, it just processes it (warning this is something that my tennis coach use to tell me but I have no idea if it is true or not.)

this actually is true. your body will lose heat (and therefore lose energy) if you drink a lot of cold water on a hot day. a lot of energy that could be used doing other things like throwing frisbees.

its actually just important to drink lots of water when its really hot outside anyway - very cold water is better than no water at all.

victorb said:
Frank Delicious said:

this actually is true. your body will lose heat (and therefore lose energy) if you drink a lot of cold water on a hot day. a lot of energy that could be used doing other things like throwing frisbees.

its actually just important to drink lots of water when its really hot outside anyway - very cold water is better than no water at all.

Ah but on the flip side if you drink excessively hot water your body will attempt to lower your temperature and your body does so through perspiration.

I think the "cold water steals energy" claim is dumb. If you were in a very cold place trying to stay alive then maybe it would make sense to not waste calories heating water with your metabolism. But you aren't. It's hot. You're sweating. That's a sign that your body is already too warm. Very few calories are going to be spent heating that water inside you. Mostly it's just going to absorb heat from your core and bloodstream, which helps cool you down and normalize your temperature making you more comfortable and efficient.

As for the ice, I think freezing a bottle or part of a bottle is the way to go. One mistake I've seen people make is to pack their bottle with ice cubes, then use lukewarm tap water to fill it up. You just wasted half your ice cooling the water you added. If you aren't going to freeze the whole bottle, at least keep a jug of cold water in your fridge to pour over your ice cubes.

Dogma said:
...Mostly it's just going to absorb heat from your core and bloodstream...

This.

When you drink cold water, even ice cold, it dosen't take long to equalize to the temperature inside your stomach. And it's not like your body says "Oh, here's something cold, better turn up the furnace!" - it's just entropy. I highly doubt that the heat absorbed by cold water in your stomach would deplete your energy stores. Muscles use chemical energy, and give off heat - you body can't recoup that thermal energy anyway.

It is just a personal preference but I don't care if water is cold or not. I carry a cooler in my car packed as full as it can get, year round. In that cooler is beer, which I do strongly prefer to be cold-so cold little ice crystals float in it. I carry lots of water, too. Water never gets a spot in the cooler. The cooler is for beer and ice to keep the beer cold.

During the round I drink water. After the round I drink cold beer. I could be wrong but I believe this is the natural order of the universe.

Mark Ellis said:
...In that cooler is beer, which I do strongly prefer to be cold-so cold little ice crystals float in it...

Let me guess - some sort of domestic in a can? That's way too cold for real beer.

Mad Scientist said:
Mark Ellis said:
...In that cooler is beer, which I do strongly prefer to be cold-so cold little ice crystals float in it...

Let me guess - some sort of domestic in a can? That's way too cold for real beer.

I have been told by many informed and knowledgeable sources that good beer should not be ice cold. But the problem is I love IPAs ice cold. Maybe one day I will develop class and refinement and culture and all those things I sorely lack. Or maybe not.

I wear long socks, too. The fashion police are most displeased. But long pants are too hot in the summer and I dislike walking through brush in short socks.

If you ever get a beer out of my cooler you will just have to let it warm up before drinking it. By then I will be on my second beer. :p

Mark Ellis said:
During the round I drink water. After the round I drink cold beer. I could be wrong but I believe this is the natural order of the universe.

I believe the natural order also sometimes dictates the drinking of beer during the round.

Mark Ellis said:
...If you ever get a beer out of my cooler you will just have to let it warm up before drinking it. By then I will be on my second beer. :p

Right on, man. No ill will intended - Believe me, if you offered me a free beer I wouldn't complain about the brand or the temperature :wink:

I've seen people drop some discs from the bag to make space for one of those little coolers.

Its usually for beer, but would work well for water bottles filled with ice.

Latest posts