• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Payouts stifle pro growth?

I played with frisbees since I was a small child and it didn't take me long to figure out I could aim at trees and fence posts and play golf by myself when I didn't have a large group to play catch. My cousin and I thought we invented frisbee golf. Ironically enough, in my early 20s I quit playing "real" disc golf because of all the hippies and juggalos running people off at my local course. You couldn't get past hole 2 without being robbed or accosted by anarchists and people strung out on heroin. Y'all type made me quit playing for 15 years. I thought the sport was all but dead until I saw the European Open on YouTube. Thank God for European disc golf. It's a real sport on this side of the Atlantic. Y'all have fun with your pathetic amateur players packs. Lul.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Transformers 3 man, it explains it all

Lol... Guys. I am American, born and raised. Sadly I grew up in the murder and meth capital of the world. I left America and now reside in european disc golf paradise. If you identify with violent druggies that swarm disc golf courses, you probably wouldn't be on DGCR defending your years of hard work building and maintaining courses. If the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it. European disc golf is far above what I've experienced in the USA. We have ratings based divisions that provide extremely equitable pools for all player skill levels. Any given week, the rating protected division in our club weeklies can be won by a master's 50+ player, a junior, or a female player. We have amazing parity in our clubs.

Players packs are very small, usually some consumable goodies from sponsors and advertisers, and the only players to really win anything are the top three podium finishers. Bigger pools have deeper prizes but it's nothing like the ridiculous funny money structure used widely in USA. the motivation for people to play is the love of the game and well run tournaments. I'm totally fine with the extra money going to the TD, course maintenance, and the pro purse if the TD is so inclined.

As for being "forced to move up"... MA3 is usually the only amateur mixed division offered around here. If you're over 900 rated, you're expected to be competitive in Open. When you get accustomed to this format, you kinda learn to love it. It might not work in areas with deeper skill, but I think what should not be lost is that if you are signing up for a COMPETITION, you should expect to play competitively. The PDGA needs to do something to differentiate "just for fun" players and serious players who want to have fun and win without trying to make a career out of it. I guess it's tricky.

If you identify with violent druggies that swarm disc golf courses, you probably wouldn't be on DGCR defending your years of hard work building and maintaining courses.

1. I've played almost 80 different courses all over the midwest. WTF are you even talking about?

2. As for the rest of your post...cool story bro

Hippies...Potheads...violence...

chef_bot___does_not_compute__by_giframa-d555wi8.gif

As for being "forced to move up"... MA3 is usually the only amateur mixed division offered around here. If you're over 900 rated, you're expected to be competitive in Open.
Bernie Madoff approved...

:|

European disc golf is far above what I've experienced in the USA. We have ratings based divisions that provide extremely equitable pools for all player skill levels. Any given week, the rating protected division in our club weeklies can be won by a master's 50+ player, a junior, or a female player. We have amazing parity in our clubs.

The PDGA should consider doing something like this. :|

I'm enjoying the broad brush being used to pain disc golf in the US by someone who quit playing here 15 years ago because his local course(s) were overrun with violent druggies. We're such a tiny, homogeneous country here, how could he not be dead on accurate to think it's still that way?

I'm enjoying the broad brush being used to pain disc golf in the US by someone who quit playing here 15 years ago because his local course(s) were overrun with violent druggies. We're such a tiny, homogeneous country here, how could he not be dead on accurate to think it's still that way?
I said I lived in a bad neighborhood. But when everyone is wearing grateful dead t-shirts and attacking you it's hard to tell the difference between a violent druggie and a non-violent one. I'm all for the hippie counter culture, but you can't act like you don't attract the worst scum of the earth. Not disowning them is your own undoing.

Maybe I'm lumping all druggies into one big group unfairly. Legalization will go a long way to weeding out the criminals from the average Joe who wants to smoke grass.

At any rate... USA disc golf is inferior to EURO disc golf. I am not sorry if this truth hurts your feelings.

I said I lived in a bad neighborhood. But when everyone is wearing grateful dead t-shirts and attacking y'all it's hard to tell the difference between a violent druggie and a non-violent one. I'm all for the hippie counter culture, but y'all can't act like y'all don't attract the worst scum of the earth. Not disowning them is y'alls own undoing.

Maybe I'm lumping all druggies into one big group unfairly. Legalization will go a long way to weeding out the criminals from the average Joe who wants to smoke grass.

At any rate... USA disc golf is inferior to EURO disc golf. I am not sorry if this truth hurts y'alls feelings.

Fixed that for you. Gotta stay in character when you troll. :popcorn:

I said I lived in a bad neighborhood. But when everyone is wearing grateful dead t-shirts and attacking you it's hard to tell the difference between a violent druggie and a non-violent one. I'm all for the hippie counter culture, but you can't act like you don't attract the worst scum of the earth. Not disowning them is your own undoing.

At any rate... USA disc golf is inferior to EURO disc golf. I am not sorry if this truth hurts your feelings.

I'm not concerned that you're lumping "druggies" into one big group unfairly. I'm mocking you for lumping Americans into one big group unfairly. I've played about 150 courses in about 20 different states and I can't say I've ever encountered "druggies" at all other than pot smokers, and certainly no violent ones. I won't make the case that every course is that way, but I've certainly seen enough to know that your experience, even 15 years ago, is the exception rather than the rule.

If you think Euro disc golf is superior to US disc golf, that's your prerogative and I couldn't care less.

soooo......I guess I'm finally cool with closing our borders now! enjoy that safe euro disc golf! Geese are the most dangerous thing on my local courses.

But when everyone is wearing grateful dead t-shirts and attacking you it's hard to tell the difference between a violent druggie and a non-violent one. I'm all for the hippie counter culture, but you can't act like you don't attract the worst scum of the earth. Not disowning them is your own undoing.

So, now y'all are saying y'all have been violently attacked by Deadheads out on the disc golf course, y'all? Now I know y'all are full of s***, I'm not buying what y'all are peddling, y'all.

Using the same prejudging, close minded, logic as you, I should lump all Euro disc golfers as pathetic attention seeking internet trolls? Y'all's feeble attempt at trolling does not even make sense.

Christ, if you are afraid of deadheads, I can't imagine the terror the LGBTQ, people of different color, atheists and women must evoke.

Going though life afraid of those different than you must be very hard.

Dang, I don't know why ignorance make me so irrationally irritable. I shall stop feeding this troll, my apologies to everyone.

As someone who has played a lot of dg courses (300+) in both casual and sanctioned events in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, there is NOT that much difference...not really. We are people throwing plastic for score - low number wins.
He is allowed his opinion and has stated it, albeit from a rather biased standpoint. And IMO he is not correct in that EU dg is not that much better...if at all. It is just "different" in a few minor ways.
But the defensiveness shown by a lot of you puzzles me. Why such vehemence? You know that one would not be 'that much better' than the other, there's too much "intermingling" going on. Good ideas are 'stolen' and the inevitable amelioration of both sides occurs. Rest assured, EU dg is NOT "better"...but nor is it "worse".
Ps: I'm a lifer-AM but do play Open when I'm over there out of respect for their 'system' and because most of my EU friends are Pros.

As for being "forced to move up"... MA3 is usually the only amateur mixed division offered around here. If you're over 900 rated, you're expected to be competitive in Open.

900 isn't competitive in Advanced here, much less Open. In fact, if you've just thrown 2 900 rated rounds, you're probably in the middle of the cash in Rec.

soooo......I guess I'm finally cool with closing our borders now! enjoy that safe euro disc golf! Geese are the most dangerous thing on my local courses.

Are those geese wearing SYF shirts and smoking? I already know they're violent...

Latest posts