• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

cfair

* Ace Member *
After doing some hunting around I realized there is no thread to honor, explain, or advise on one of Discraft's most successful discs, The Predator. I've heard that every Discraft pro has one in their bag and it is said by many players over "if you don't have one, get it" but I've also found it hard to find some full blown info on it.

What I've been able to gather so far:
-It is obviously an overstable disc that known for being a great wind fighter and good for anything that doesn't require you to go straight or turn very much
-Its wonderful utility discs for skips, OH shots, FH, and get out of trouble shots.
-There are technically two molds. The current one and then an old mold that has become DGA's Tsunami. (can anyone provide more info on this, dates of change, reason for change, differences between the two molds?) As I understand it, the new mold has a bead (big, small?).
-It is currently run in Elite Z, ESP, and FLX. Could anyone clarify the stability differences, and how they break in?
-Bradly Walker developed a drill to help address nose down issues using it. Is this disc generally punishing of nose down? Or does it just make it obvious?

I'd also like to know about domes, weights, PLH to look for, and if the whole Discraft color thing seems to come into play with these. And any other info ya'll think would be good.

I haven't bought any yet, but I've been eyeballing them for a long time...

I've been throwing pred since like 07 or so on and off (I switched for a while to spirits) and really love them. They fight the wind really well and unlike many other overstable drivers, penetrate forward as they fade.

The old ones (non-circle stamp with name in center) are the tits, especially the opaque red ones. I have noticed that in general the newer ones with the new DC stamp design are less stable but still plenty stable. This does not apply to the flat ones which are crazy super overstable.

FLX preds come in two varieties:

1) crazy freaky useless overstable
2) flippy not-very-good-for-pred-shots stable

And the original mold pred was only used in the first Z run from my understanding. So if you have a Z pred with the ghost stamped X pred stamp on it, it is a Tsunami. If you have any other pred, it is not a Tsunami.

Own 5 :)
All 168ish so the shape does the work and my arm can range it at less than full crush.

The ESP, both 1st Run and others, are slightly flatter and higher plh than the 2 pre circle stamp Zs. ESP grips fine for cold weather; no need for FLX. I enjoy a pair of teal blues that are totally un-natural colors and very easy to find even in fall.

I actually throw mine more for shaping lines than high winds, and it flies nicely as a mid when spun harder/less air speed. Either huked flat or force started with some anny, it's darned handy for going out past 'x' and then flexing back. You can get more stability from a FBird or even more from a XXX, but they only seem to want to go left soon unless lots of air is going over them.

Between my Wasp and PD, it gets used as an Eagle-X + +

The dx Viper makes a nice starter Pred for those with less oomph.

I am finding that I really like the way a predator breaks in. It seems you can cycle predators through wear (although it takes a while to break them in) to cover all of your stable to overstable fairway driver spots. This is good for mold minimalism.

If any of you guys feel that your trusty z pred is not so trusty at going left anymore, send it over to me. I'll make use of it.

Frank, do you still have that orange Pred I traded you for some Spirits a couple of years ago? I still regret giving that one up...

Yes, I am the collector of preds that people regret trading me. I also have a super sweet beat in yellow one that Keltik traded me and he yearns for it back.

Frank Delicious said:
Yes, I am the collector of preds that people regret trading me. I also have a super sweet beat in yellow one that Keltik traded me and he yearns for it back.
Pretty hurt that my lovely thrashed clockwork orange pred isn't mentioned here.

I scored a prickly thorn but sweetly worn purple/pink Z Pred from PIAS that has NEVER lost to the wind and can flex just about any left hand turning shot I ask it too. I also dyed Han Solo onto it. When it's too windy to use my Valk or if I need a huge turn I use my Han Solo Pred.

It also makes trees its bitch. I'm more amazed at the fight this disc has rather than the lines it flies (but the lines are pretty too).

Jesse B 707 said:
Frank Delicious said:
Pretty hurt that my lovely thrashed clockwork orange pred isn't mentioned here.
That was mine originally though.

Frank Delicious said:
:cry: you had to bring this up. I had to take preds completely out of my bag after that (and I kept losing them). what will it take for me to get it back? :cry:

Trey133 said:
I am finding that I really like the way a predator breaks in. It seems you can cycle predators through wear (although it takes a while to break them in) to cover all of your stable to overstable fairway driver spots. This is good for mold minimalism.

If any of you guys feel that your trusty z pred is not so trusty at going left anymore, send it over to me. I'll make use of it.
This was the beauty of the X Pred, new it flew like a seasoned Z Pred, once beat: a thing of beauty.

Mine are 172-174. in addition to the reasons already mentioned, I love to use mine as a bulldozer, for getting out of trouble or when the best line has a high probability of hitting twigs. hardly see a scratch on the brutes and they seem to hold the line better than anything else (unless you deflect off a trunk that is, if a pred gets off course it'll get you in deep trouble, for the same reason :))

I have 10 or so Z preds and 5 or 6 ESP preds. I have been throwing them since 06. The one pictured in my avatar is thrashed. I can power it down well (and its still goes straight for the majority of its flight) throw it nuts straight with very little fade into a headwind, and it rarely even thinks about turning. Its a 173. I also carry a newer (not to new anymore) Orange Z pred for spike hyzers and super windy shots. I have the ESP's cause they fly a lot like my super thrashed pred, but have been keeping the Z in this season.

I dropped my FBs for Preds about 3-4 months ago and never looked back. I find the FB a little more comfortable on FH releases, but overall the Pred is way more useful thanks to the whole forward penetration while slowing down thing and the fact that they have great glide for an overstable disc. I've only got a handful right now...a few Zs from 2008, a few new pearly Zs, and 1 ESP (all 172+). Ther newer run pearlies ae what I throw on a regular basis...fairly flat and will turn slightly into a headwind. I also have a high-PLH Z Pred (opaque orange) where the nose is almost 2mm higher than the current runs -- freakishly overstable!

Anybody here know why discraft hasn't made any glo z preds yet?

I would like to hear some comparison between Preds and Flicks. I have both, and the Flick just feels more comfortable to me. I know the Flick is faster, but I really don't have much experience with either.