• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

I only have one Pred, it's a well-worn ESP. The thing still has great HSS and very little LSS. It's a beautifully straight disc. I can see using multiple ESPs in varying stages and a Z for the really overstable stuff to cover most, if not all, fairway shots (like Trey said). In fact, I'd probably do that if I didn't also love Eagles.

Mad Scientist said:
I would like to hear some comparison between Preds and Flicks. I have both, and the Flick just feels more comfortable to me. I know the Flick is faster, but I really don't have much experience with either.
Flicks will turn quite a bit if thrown hard into a stiff wind and glide much less than preds, flicks are much better for overhands imo but id pick a pred for almost any other shot......I can probly get a flick a bit further on a fh though

Oh man, I love Preds.

My Z is quite overstable and I use it for my OH. Its not . My ESP is more like a Teebird with a harder fade. Then I have 2 X Preds in the bag looking to see how they beat in and what else they can do. and thats just in my bag. I got an FLX as a spare that I want to field test and see what its like and 5 other X Preds as spares and I will look to get some spares for the ESP and Z

All you need to know is that this disc is legit and you need to own one. If you don't have the arm or use for it now keep thinking and throwing it will graduate out of overstable get out of trouble disc to a versatile stroke saver.

hmmm, I can get my hands on at least 10 brand new x-preds, should last until DC decides to do another run right? how long do they last (how beat before they're useless), do they lose lss first, and how are they different from z preds when new?

Wyno said:
hmmm, I can get my hands on at least 10 brand new x-preds, should last until DC decides to do another run right? how long do they last (how beat before they're useless), do they lose lss first, and how are they different from z preds when new?

10 new Z preds could likely last you the rest of your disc golfing career - especially if they are the flatter, more HSS of the runs. The domey ones are pretty awesome as well. Sort of like a more LSS, faster eagle. 10 new X predators won't last till DC does a new run though - since they haven't produced them as long as I've been throwing the disc iirc. Try to find some domey Z preds instead, they are easier to come by at this point and will likely be easier to find in the future...I've never been one to recommend buying plastic that is out of production.

I put my first predator in the bag back in 2008, it's just now getting to the point that it isn't my go to headwind disc. I put a fresh one in the bag in November. I figure the old one has at least another 5 or so years before it becomes flippy. In terms of how they wear in, they are similar to most other champ/z plastic wear patterns - they lose HSS first. This only will make a good worn in predator a more versatile disc than a brand new one. X Predators have a similar wear pattern - except you will see more LSS loss as they wear. A beat X Predator will be more of a hyzerflip to straight or turnover type disc from the little experience I have throwing them.

Wyno said:

I havent beat mine in much yet, but I would assume they last about as long as anything close to their speed in X plastic would, and it largely depends on the terrain of the courses you play and how many trees or other hard objects you hit.

I have 7 of the Xs available now and they are a bit domier than ESP and are not quite as HSS but still really straight and have about as good of fade when new with maybe just a little more glide. And they still so far seem like the ESP and Z where they just dont seem to be affected much by wind.

I really need to get some more ESP and Zs because I hope by the time Im out of X Preds, they either decided to make more (which seeing as they went X Nuke supposedly because of the economy, makes this sound like a good idea) or my ESP and Z Preds start getting beat in by then.

thanks guys
victorb said:
X Predators have a similar wear pattern - except you will see more LSS loss as they wear. A beat X Predator will be more of a hyzerflip to straight or turnover type disc from the little experience I have throwing them.
this was what I hoped for, can anyone confirm?

tecnohic said:
I hope by the time Im out of X Preds, they either decided to make more (which seeing as they went X Nuke supposedly because of the economy, makes this sound like a good idea) or my ESP and Z Preds start getting beat in by then.

that's what I was thinking, anyway i'm not too concerned about oop discs, who knows what I'll be needing in a couple of years :)

JR said:
All you need to know is that this disc is legit and you need to own one. If you don't have the arm or use for it now keep thinking and throwing it will graduate out of overstable get out of trouble disc to a versatile stroke saver.

Another nice thing about this disc is that you don't necessarily "need the arm" for it. If you want to throw long backhand drives with it then, yes, you need the arm. But, otherwise, it's still awesome for all sorts of skip shots, flicks, low hyzers, overhand shots, etc...

Fizzy said:
JR said:

Another nice thing about this disc is that you don't necessarily "need the arm" for it. If you want to throw long backhand drives with it then, yes, you need the arm. But, otherwise, it's still awesome for all sorts of skip shots, flicks, low hyzers, overhand shots, etc...

Which is why everyone serious about their game needs to try this disc on all shots. Even if you don't throw far. If you do you can do even more with it which is even better. So even for new players it will grow on you probably more than you realize now. As an overall overstable disc for other duties as well this is a great king of jack of most trades contender. There may be a combination of discs that can do most if not all of what Z Preds do great even better but i would not bet against the Pred having a chance of being the best disc for one or more roles for a great portion of throwers. At least in some point in their progress as a player. With that said a 200' thrower has very little use for Z Preds at max weight.

I think Eric McCabe carries 3 (one new, one seasoned, and one super beat) to cover his fairway needs. But then he does have an Avenger SS for turnovers and rollers. Could you imagine having the snap to turn over even a super beat pred?

cfair said:
I think Eric McCabe carries 3 (one new, one seasoned, and one super beat) to cover his fairway needs. But then he does have an Avenger SS for turnovers and rollers. Could you imagine having the snap to turn over even a super beat pred?

How about Robbie Bratton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY

Turning over brand new ESP Preds.

Fizzy said:
JR said:

Especially if you find the right weight for you. I usually throw max weight for fairway drivers, but use Preds in the 167-170g range. I do keep a 175g flat Pred in the bag for skip shots, OH rollers and hurricane force headwinds though.

cfair said:

I have a beat Z pred that will track right for most of it's flight before hyzering out. It is really really beat though.

SirRaph said:
cfair said:

This is exactly what I was gonna post, but ya beat me to it.

dgdave said:
SirRaph said:
cfair said:

This is exactly what I was gonna post, but ya beat me to it.

I think it's been said on here before but I don't think he is "turning over" but instead throwing with a bit of anny. Either way, he clearly has a ton of snap to keep the pred in the turn for that long.