• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

They are more stable and the domey ones have a lot of glide for an overstable disc. The flat Z preds throw way more like firebirds.

Good to know. Seems like once a pred gets beat in it could be a sweet control driver with dependable fade. Looks like it shouldn't take too long either with how soft this blend of esp is.

I throw the ESP's and you'd be surprised how long they take to beat had one in the bag now more 1.5 years and it's still pretty beefy. These things take some serious seasoning before they become what I think of as a control driver.

if you want to speed up the process grab an sparkle z tsunami or just a straight up pro line, they're the first run predator mold so they start off a little straigher and longer, they fly like a nice seasoned pred and only get better as they beat in.

X Predators make great control drivers after some wear, and can be sneaky long as well. But since they're OOP, this:
mickas said:
if you want to speed up the process grab an sparkle z tsunami or just a straight up pro line, they're the first run predator mold so they start off a little straigher and longer, they fly like a nice seasoned pred and only get better as they beat in.
is the easier solution.

himynameismatt said:
I throw the ESP's and you'd be surprised how long they take to beat had one in the bag now more 1.5 years and it's still pretty beefy. These things take some serious seasoning before they become what I think of as a control driver.

That's funny, because I have an ESP that got used as my only driver for 1.5 rounds and is now negative HSS. I hit a tree about 10 feet away with a full force 400' throw, disc ended up behind me. Now I use it for my control driver, if flies like a newer Star Eagle.

My FLX and Z are pure beef though. FLX is like a lawn dart, where the Z is just a great overstable driver.

Frank Delicious said:
I've had a Z pred in the bag for 3 years, it is still stable.
Ditto. mine has been in my bag for almost 3 years, and spent about a year in a buddies bag first and it's still my meathook driver.

mickas said:
it's too hard to beat up z predators, esps are where it's at for workability.
amen to that! my esp was money at leagues on tuesday... smashed the bottom of the basket on 5 too! ace pool was at 340ish... why did i ever take it out of my bag

Heck...X preds are pretty sweet broken in. Long and reliable. I would probably carry one if they were in production. A beat z is a beautiful thing.

Hyzerline49 said:
mickas said:
amen to that! my esp was money at leagues on tuesday... smashed the bottom of the basket on 5 too! ace pool was at 340ish... why did i ever take it out of my bag

5's was shorts right? also I saw your round, great shooting!

mickas said:
Hyzerline49 said:
mickas said:

yup, shorts and low position... but yeah, i think i shot pretty well. let me know if you wanna get out and play. they have a thursday league now so maybe we'll have to do that tomorrow

I bought a FLX pred when they first came out. Thing flew like a brick. However, I turned it into my overhand disc because it was so reliable and intuitive. I know when it will flip during the flight. Plus when it hits the ground it would bend, pop straight up and stay put. It didn't take crazy rolls, just stayed put. I liked that a lot.

I have been throwing that same FLX pred for my thumbers the past 2.5 years and it is thrashed to hell, and it STILL flies like an overstable brick backhand. But I love that disc now.

I do have a Z that flies nice however. Very manageable fade, very reliable in wind.

Hyzerline49 said:
mickas said:
Hyzerline49 said:
mickas said:

yup, shorts and low position... but yeah, i think i shot pretty well. let me know if you wanna get out and play. they have a thursday league now so maybe we'll have to do that tomorrow

actually we're putting the baskets in the ground at my home town course at 5ish and then we're going to do the first round so I can't play the league.

I have a new green pred that is a hook. I bought a very used old pink pred at PIAS and it is absolutely amazing. Sneaky long no matter the wind, doesn't fade till the end, and when it does it is a nice semi forward fade. Whoever sold that disc was a fool.

That all ya got? More stable? Faster? Slower? Better or worse in the wind? Good at certain types of shots that the other isn't. Just saying "Shorter" doesn't exactly compare much of anything.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21682&p=336314&hilit=tsunami#p336314