• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] An overstable putter that doesn't like to roll

I play some very very hilly local courses, I'm looking for a putter that will hit and stick on some of the steepest of hills. I currently use a medium Harp for the job, but I feel like there are better disc for it; open to all recommendations but I do prefer to throw trilogy plastic

Soft VP/Ridge? I use a soft ridge, but I wouldn't say it's too overstable.

Rollaways are part of the game. While a soft putter will reduce the chances a little, they aren't going to eliminate them. I would suggest practicing to land flatter (in line with the ground) in those hilly areas.

Thinking of trying a soft shield, and if that doesn't work out, something else. Lol
I feel like a disc should be specifically made for this, with the underside rim extending further than the top or sides; and a sharp underside like the Pure, or P2 from discmania

Rollaways are part of the game. While a soft putter will reduce the chances a little, they aren't going to eliminate them. I would suggest practicing to land flatter (in line with the ground) in those hilly areas.

I agree, I do as much as possible, It's often that a rock will goof up a perfect throw

R-pro Pig. Assuming you want somthing actually overstable.

I'm in the same boat as most of my rounds are indeed played in the Mountain State - plenty of elevation for discs to roll away from the basket. I'll put in another vote for the Really Freakin' Flexible Wizards!

This may be the smart alek answer but....

Don't miss the putt. Confidence in your putter and your putting skills are worth more than the occasional roll away.

Besides, ALL discs can roll. Floppy ones supposedly roll less, but I've never tried any Vibram Soft, or Blowflies to test out the theory.

Edit...I was typing too slow...

Definitely check out R-Pro plastic. I've used an R-Pro Rhyno for shots up hills and when I just need it to hit and stick. They can still roll through. If you catch the right edge, the disc can bend and almost have a spring like effect, giving it a bounce upright and then she rolls.

Ive never had issues with my Legacy Clutch rolling, it tends to curl and fall quickly after it starts rolling.

I agree, I do as much as possible, It's often that a rock will goof up a perfect throw

Have I been there! :D

Unfortunately all these mega-soft plastics people are recommending aren't going to stop that rock either. Of all the overstable putters I've tried, the Rhyno and Pig have been the best at hit and stick.

I'd go with Rhyno as well.

You mentioned Shield, but personally this is the only putter I've thrown (I've only used 6-8 though) where I've actually found more likelihood of roll/bounces/bad mojo (it was Medium, not Soft). It may just be me. But I hate that disc.

Besides, ALL discs can roll. Floppy ones supposedly roll less, but I've never tried any Vibram Soft, or Blowflies to test out the theory.

A flour tortilla is going to stick without question but at what cost to accuracy and distance?

I use the softest plastic that I can which will still perform via landing where and at what angle/speed that I want. Also, low-to-no fade LSS using the maximum range of that disc so that it's dropping slow and flat in the target area. If you have a hillside to bounce into/off and still be on the fairway, OS is fine.