• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

And a child shall lead them...

TAFL

Eagle Member
While throwing today with my son, we watched a threesome playing on the course near us. A man and two boys; the boys appeared to be a couple of years apart, perhaps 8 and 10.

The older one stepped up and launched a forehand down the fairway farther than Dad threw his backhand, and certainly farther than my beginning forehand. The younger boy put his drive into a tree not far off the tee, and then his second shot flew straight up the fairward 150' or so.

Yeah, I wanted a lesson from the kids on forehand technique, as theirs is clearly better than mine right now. Thought it way cool that the oldest is throwing longer than Dad, too.

We saw a 10yo kid on Thursday bombing 300'+ drives with great form. He out drove his dad with a rip that was probably 350'.

This was actually the second time I had seen him. The first time I saw this little kid rip a 320' drive hole high, I was super impressed. I complimented his form and asked what he was throwing. When he said "D1" it took me a second to realize it was an AIR D1.

So I just need to go back in time 20 years and I will be bombing 300' no problem??! Uhhhhhg, I feel old now. Where's my disc golf 401k already? Please tell me that's a pro tour disc ;)

Sticking a disc in their hands early is obviously good for developing abilities. Perhaps if I'd thrown more Wham-O frisbees around as a kid, I wouldn't have had so many years with bad form plaguing my drives.

My 13 and 10 year olds throw with me fairly often. My 10 year old LOVES Disc Golf. The 13 year old likes Disc Golf, but doesn't want to go every time. My 10 year old works REALLY hard on his form, practice putts with me at home, and takes it fairly seriously in general. He has a bag with way to many discs, but is taking the time to learn them. On a good BH rip, he puts a driver (130-140 class Starlight Roadrunner/Sidewinder) out to 200ft.

My 13 year old only throws Forehand. He never practices. He will walk out onto a tee pad, first throw of the day, and lace a Beautiful forehand flex shot out to 275-285ft with a Latitude 64 Jade, or Diamond. Effortless and thoughtless, for him. Makes me want to "Proudly Slap him" every once in awhile. :)

My 16 yo son finally decided to give disc golf a whirl this summer. He hasn't thrown a disc in at least 5 years. And prior to this summer he may have a total of 1 round played. So using his mother's Pearl at the 1st tee he rips off a straight BH 200' with just the flick of his wrist! :eek: I need to point out here that my son is a big 16, but far, far from an athletic one. He is a gamer and fits the body type of the stereotypical game nerd. No run ups, x-steps, power grip. Just one hell of a snap to his wrist. My BH is a disgrace for driving distance and in 1 round he was easily outdriving me. Fortunately my FH is fair and he isn't getting that 300+ I get. Yet.

We are campground hosts at Farragut State Park in northern Idaho this summer. We lead the Junior Ranger programs and I did our final "Introduction to Disc Golf" program this morning. It was cool and rainy and I only had one family show up, but the boy and his dad had a great time. We played two rounds on our 9-hole Little Black Bear course which is a good a course as I've ever seen for introducing families to DG.

His dad pulled me off to the side and mentioned that he hadn't been able to interest his son in hiking at the park, but that DG seemed to be exactly what they'd been looking for. After we finished 18 holes (in the rain) the boy told his father that he wanted to come back this afternoon with mom and they headed off to our Visitor Center to buy a Discraft starter set.

Mission accomplished!!

Mission accomplished!!

Booyah! It's so cool to see them light up when they get hooked!

My son, who is perpetually going on 13 (developmental disabilities), threw his first ever deuce today...and his second...and his third. It was a nine-hole pitch & putt course. We've played it before without him threatening a deuce and he wasn't close the first nine today. That second nine, though, he went on a tear, relatively speaking. With another decade of work, we might have his form issues worked out to where he can birdie on more regular length courses.

We've got a 12 year old kid that comes to our park league. He moved to MT earlier this year and as he now lives a couple blocks from the course, he picked up DG. It has been so awesome seeing him improve over the last few months. He's usually on one of the bottom 2 cards but rarely if ever takes the last tag. Next youngest league member is around 22 so he's beating people twice his age every week. He entered the local state games in "high school boys" which is 14-18 and got 2nd by one stroke to a 17 year old. He's been primarily FHing but started teaching himself BH with some putters and light neutral drivers. Was hitting 200' his first day. So happy to have him out there with us. I like everyone at leagues to have fun and play well but I actively route for him.

My son, who is perpetually going on 13 (developmental disabilities), threw his first ever deuce today...and his second...and his third.

What a great run of birdies for him! I'll bet he was incredibly happy about that, and it should keep him going for months to come. Congrats to him and to you for getting him out throwing. :hfive:

Sticking a disc in their hands early is obviously good for developing abilities. Perhaps if I'd thrown more Wham-O frisbees around as a kid, I wouldn't have had so many years with bad form plaguing my drives.

I spent more time throwing Whamo Frisbees than doing anything else outside as a youth.

I would stack 3 together and let them fly, I could throw 2 at a time (Left and right hands) vertically, have them hit the pavement and walk right back to me. I could out throw all my miscreant friends, though they all were at least 20 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller than me.

After 2 years of playing, I can't get a disc golf disc past 250 feet. Yet.

Youth = flexibility without needing to stretch. lol.. That's the biggest thing I've noticed in younger players in general, is the amount of flexibility in their arms, wrists, legs, etc. One of THE biggest factors in this game is the continued need to stretch..over and over..to maintain flexibility as we age. But yah...my at the time 25 year old son who never threw a disc, played a round with me and on his 2nd hole, he hit the basket on a 320ft hole laser shot, with an effortless 1 step bh. lol..

Yup, my son just turned 9 and he is obsessed with DG. He can throw pretty far for his age -- I love watching him lace his Leopards down the fairway. He will often hit metal from like 75' out and it's so fun when he nails a long putt.

He's playing in his first tournament in 2 weeks and he can't wait.

Last edited:
We are campground hosts at Farragut State Park in northern Idaho this summer. We lead the Junior Ranger programs and I did our final "Introduction to Disc Golf" program this morning. It was cool and rainy and I only had one family show up, but the boy and his dad had a great time. We played two rounds on our 9-hole Little Black Bear course which is a good a course as I've ever seen for introducing families to DG.

His dad pulled me off to the side and mentioned that he hadn't been able to interest his son in hiking at the park, but that DG seemed to be exactly what they'd been looking for. After we finished 18 holes (in the rain) the boy told his father that he wanted to come back this afternoon with mom and they headed off to our Visitor Center to buy a Discraft starter set.

Mission accomplished!!
Farragut State Park was where I learned to play disc golf with my family when I was 14. Glad to see that it is still introducing people to disc golf. Good work all around :)

A cincy local 12yr old, is now 861 on his pdga rating, and his voice hasn't even changed yet.... man I need to practice, lol.