• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ankle Braces and Disc Golf

Surge5

Self-Appointed Cubic Zirconia Club Manager
Gold level trusted reviewer
Ever since a 2015 run-in with a SkyZone trampoline, my left ankle has a penchant for trying to turn itself upside-down if I step on a root/ditch the right way (just ask @GW10 or @mdavis214). Having just twigged it again this past Sunday, how many of you have played with an ankle brace and did it have any negative effect? I know it's only like 15 bucks at Walmart, but want to know about the effects on DG, specifically.

(From my Jan '23 run-in with Shawnee Mission Park Hole 9)
received_560159999081015.jpeg

For the last year or two I've been wearing one on my plant foot, and don't notice any effect on my game. Then again, so many other things negatively affect my game -- injuries, bad form, etc. -- that I'm not sure I'd notice if it did.

From a life of on-and-off-again usage of knee braces, I'll note that they come in a wide variety of styles and effectiveness, and that's probably true of ankle braces too.

Do take this for the anecdotal advice that it is, but what kind of shoes do you use? I personally have found that soft sole shoes (barefoot shoes to be specific) make me feel so much more secure with my footing in uneven terrain compared to shoes with a stiff sole. I think it's because a soft sole allows my feet to conform to whatever I'm stepping. If I, for example, stepped on a root the wrong way while wearing a stiff sole the shoe would likely pivot as I put my weight down, dragging my foot and ankle along with it.

Ever since a 2015 run-in with a SkyZone trampoline, my left ankle has a penchant for trying to turn itself upside-down if I step on a root/ditch the right way (just ask @GW10 or @mdavis214). Having just twigged it again this past Sunday, how many of you have played with an ankle brace and did it have any negative effect? I know it's only like 15 bucks at Walmart, but want to know about the effects on DG, specifically.

(From my Jan '23 run-in with Shawnee Mission Park Hole 9)
View attachment 343886
I would encourage you to seek professional input. Orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine therapist would be two that your primary care physician might recommend. They can determine the exact extent of any damage and provide the safest and most appropriate type of brace. Ankles are a pretty complicated joint.

As far as knee braces go, Bauerfiend is king. Damn near $200 but I rely on em every day. I haven't tried an ankle brace but I rolled my ankle on a teck cable stepping out of a skid 27yrs ago, damn thing loves to roll still. I wear a med high top steel toed leather boot, Redwings, again they cost a bit but if they are laced up they reduce chances of that happening and they are fairly light for a workboot.

Haha I alternate between that and my slipper moccasins, because I like to feel the ground and make my ankle build some strength.

Rolled my ankle really bad skateboarding about a month ago. Haven't got back to that but I have been discing with an ankle brace. It is my plant foot. I haven't noticed it affect my game. It does get sore afterwards. Brace seems to help though. Forgot to wear it one round & my ankle was noticably more sore the next day.

Latest posts