• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Anode or Yeti Aviar

Which new putter should I get

• Anode

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Yeti Pro Aviar

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP

There's a reason that higher level players who putt with premium plastic discs are few and far between. Use Aviars.

lol. the overmold is nothing like pro plastic and they do not gouge the same at all. I used yetis in California and they looked like hell after one round at a rocky desert like course.

Yeti's a great putter, but no kidding it won't hold up, Pro is barely better than DX for durability, especially in softish versions. Just used as a putter though, it should last a good while.

I've had a bunch of 3x yetis and haven't found this to be the case.
I've liked how they seasoned up.
Some of the more recent DX/Pro has been really weak, imo, though.

Never ever putt with premium plastic unless you like slip throughs and spit outs. Be smart and go with the Yeti.

I have a 2007 Star Aviar that would beg to differ...
I will agree that premium plastic putters suck out of the box, but after they break in (took four years for the Aviar) they fly just like their baseline counterparts and will hold that sweet spot for a ridiculously long time. I would be lost without mine, that is the sure. I should add that the bottom edge of the wing has worn to the point that it looks like a Gateway Magic now, probably makes a bit of a difference haha.

People who say premium plastic putters dont stick to the chains are smoking rocks. Ive seen many spit outs from baseline or premium it has nothing to do with the plastic.

Most pros use a hard baseline anyways which is very premium esq when new not like its full of grip until you use the discs. MVPs plastics are no different just will hold up for years of DRIVING and putting from plasma, proton, or neutron. I have some uber chalky neutron ions people just dont even know.

I'm not sure about spit outs, but the more durable the plastic, the worse it stays in the basket (all else being equal). Deformation is good in a putting putter.

Recently have been wanting to add a new putter to the bag. Currently have a jk pro aviar and a dx aviar. I personally think these are alright putters but not the best feel for me. I have read through some other forums and have come across the anode as a better option and I do really like mvp discs. My other option as of now is a yeti aviar as I have tried it and it works really well for me. Opinions?

So the Yeti worked really well for you? Seems like an obvious choice here. Putters are very personal. I don't think internet advice does much good. You should probably just buy both and test them out.

I love the flight of the Anode, but the core plastic is on the inner rim and gets pretty slippery for me. It's not that big a deal but it makese less confidant.

OP

There's a reason that higher level players who putt with premium plastic discs are few and far between. Use Aviars.

Because lots of higher level players have been playing for a longer period of time, before good premium plastic putters or molds designed for them were an option? As well because lots of premium plastic putters tend to be more OS so lots of pro's use them for driving duties instead of putting (like champ Rhyno's, S-P2's, etc.) and base plastic that is straighter for putting. As well because MVP doesn't really sponsor much of a pro team?

Anodes are dead straight in premium plastic. They stick in the chains fine. They don't beat up (I've had one in my bag for a year and another for 8 months, both fly identical). I've gone through an Aviar and a Wizard in way less time than that...yeah they would putt dead straight now if sanded smooth, but I just hate all the gouges because personally I like to putt, approach, and drive the same mold so I don't have any "what-if" or "is the range for ___ or ___" questions in my head...I just know how one disc acts from 30'-300' on various release angles and power.

I totally get the arguments for base plastic putters, just trying to show there are other good reasons for trying out premium plastic putters like Anodes if you're not biased against the idea. I do agree the plastic is slick in hand when it is damp, that is the major downside to me...but not enough of one to make me not use them.

I'm curious, do most pros today use baseline or pro putters more than premium?
What plastic is used by the top guys, prodigy boys, trilogy, innova etc?

Definitely baseline. I don't know what Prodigy stuff is though (I don't know which ###ABC is baseline).

A lot of them throw pro/premium though.

Again though a lot of the molds seem to be designed with baseline in mind. Something like the Anode is longer/just as straight/more HSS than most baseline putters, whereas a lot of more common/older molds beef up and don't glide as much when made in premium. But I am talking about throwing again I guess.

If I was given Innova's selection of discs for my bag I'd be putting baseline as well.

I'm just talking about putting putters. Not driving of any kind.

I'm curious, do most pros today use baseline or pro putters more than premium?
What plastic is used by the top guys, prodigy boys, trilogy, innova etc?

I'm just talking about putting putters. Not driving of any kind.

Most, if not all use a base plastic in a firm blend. Reason mainly for grip and ability to "grab" the chains.

there are different mindsets, and that is okay!
some people use the same putter as their putting putter for years and years
I like to think of it as the highest turnover rate slot in my bag
I am switching out to a new yeti every month or so...and I have a stack of 20+
so they don't seem to be wearing out that fast...and when they do they become workable driving putters

Felt some 4x Yeti next to 5x today. Pretty sure the 5x are just made with XT plastic. 5x are much softer and waxy than the 4x.

I've seen 4x's all over the map. Some perfect (to me) some waxy, some slick. Last week I felt a bunch up that were so concave the flight plate almost hit the table when laid flat and the flight plate felt paper thin.

Getting pretty hard to find a nice max weight Yeti these days.