• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anybody Else Like Flexing Upshots?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
First, let me explain what I mean by 'flex shot'. Overstable disc (an Innova Gator in my case) released at shoulder height or higher on an anny angle (RHBH). I picked up this shot because of one particular hole where I needed a left to right upshot to reach the basket guarded by a grove. Throwing to the right to fade in didn't work - too many branches. I like how this shot is easily adjustable. Thrown higher or with less snap/spin and it will come back for a left fade. Lower or with more snap/spin and it lands flat after a left to right flight never having faded left. One reason I love this shot is it's hard for me to aim to the right and accurately predict fade, but I can park my shot with a flex shot under 200' pretty well. Anybody else like this shot for upshots?

most people find hyzers to be more controllable. some people find flicks easier to control. Some people throw drivers for almost every shot. Still others fart their discs out of their butt. Whatever works for you is the name of the game

My favorite throw is an over-stable putter (Harp, VP, etc.) on an anny line. It will flatten out and plop down right next to the basket almost every time. Love to throw it, love to watch it.

No, but I see a guy on our local course fh flex everything. Of course he's over 70 yrs old throwing nukes :eek:

Most of my flexes are accidental. I'm still learning. But forehand upshots are by far my most accurate, and I only get the slightest inconceivable flex.

I don't use it a ton, but really enjoy when I get a good opportunity to (kind of like grenades). Depending on the variables, it'll be a Zone on an anny flex or overhead pancake. They fly very similarly, but with slight differences in the finish.

I use an FLX Challenger as my "Go To" for upshots.

Like others have basically said, when the shot calls for it, I release it with a slight annie, knowing it's overstability will pull back to the left as it fades when the line calls for it.

Do I like doing it? When I bang chains doing it, you bet I do. :D

Last edited:
Maybe it's just cuz my backhand needs help, but I'm not sure I can throw a good backhand flex shot. Nevertheless, I throw tons of forehand and use flex lines to be awesome if the course demands such awesomeness.

Latest posts