• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone have trouble finding a comfortable putter? Can anyone ID the one I found?

JonathanXz

Bogey Member
I've been playing a couple months and I just can't find a putter that I like. I've tried MVP Anode/Ion Soft/Medium, Aviar P&A, Soft Magnet, DX Focus, Opto Pure.

I've come to the conclusion I hate soft putters. They feel floppy in my hand and I don't like that. The closest thing I've found to the "perfect putter" was a disc I found out in the woods. I think it might be a wizard (I don't know my discs, pictures posted below) but it's soft and warped so I don't throw it.

I want a fairly shallow putter that's stiff but won't slide off the chains.

Maybe I'm just too picky, but I feel of all of my discs the one that needs to be the most comfortable is my putter. Maybe that's poor thinking!

Second picture is darker than I thought, there is a bead on the bottom.

http://imgur.com/dR52z,eH9Uh#0

http://imgur.com/dR52z,eH9Uh#1

Might be a Wizard but I think it's a Magic.

Lets see the bottom and the rim bead.

Wizards are awesome. Try a glow one. Think you will like it.

I've been playing a couple months and I just can't find a putter that I like. I've tried MVP Anode/Ion Soft/Medium, Aviar P&A, Soft Magnet, DX Focus, Opto Pure.

I've come to the conclusion I hate soft putters. They feel floppy in my hand and I don't like that. The closest thing I've found to the "perfect putter" was a disc I found out in the woods. I think it might be a wizard (I don't know my discs, pictures posted below) but it's soft and warped so I don't throw it.

I want a fairly shallow putter that's stiff but won't slide off the chains.

Maybe I'm just too picky, but I feel of all of my discs the one that needs to be the most comfortable is my putter. Maybe that's poor thinking!

Second picture is darker than I thought, there is a bead on the bottom.

http://imgur.com/dR52z,eH9Uh#0

http://imgur.com/dR52z,eH9Uh#1

Would you by chance still have those Opto Pures? :thmbup:

It's not a magic. Magic = no bead. It's a wizard.

Someone beat me to it jk.

Would you by chance still have those Opto Pures? :thmbup:

I'm not quite sure I want to part with it. I love it for short drives/approach shots. I just don't like how it feels when I try to putt with it :\

Sorry! ;)

Edit: Oh and thanks for the ID on the disc. I think I'll pick up a Wizard and try it out. Glow you say? I could use something to play with on my pitch and putt when it's dark!

hmmm wizard sounds about like what you would want.. shallow.. can get them in all kinds of various stiffness, etc. .. do you not like the bead?

I'm fine with beads. That wizard is soft and warped though. Other than the fact it's floppy I really like it. I think I'll pick up a new one.

Looking on Discgolfcenter What's the difference between the standard Wizard and the Medium?

I'm not sure what the HPP is, there's no description.

That is indeed a Wizard. Get a glow Wizard or a a Soft Wizard, which is actually quite hard. Gateway putters range from the following softness: RFF (really freakin flexible) to Super Stupid Soft to Super Soft to Soft to G9i to Medium. I use Super Soft and G9i for drives, nice combination of grip and stiff flight plate. Medium is quite hard, but a little too slick for me.

yeah on the wizards i would try and find some local that you could fondle but there are enough guys on here that throw them or have them that you could try the mp and prob find just what you want..

I'm fine with beads. That wizard is soft and warped though. Other than the fact it's floppy I really like it. I think I'll pick up a new one.

Looking on Discgolfcenter What's the difference between the standard Wizard and the Medium?

High Performance Polymer, their Evolution plastic. Champion durability with Star grip, in Innova terms.

Also, try Disc Outfitters. Not quite the selection of discgolfcenter or Marshall Street, but pictures of every disc, and free shipping with no minimum. Get a Super Soft Wizard, you'll love it.

Ooh, I kind of like the sound of that!

How would you say that is for putting? Would it slip off the chains?

I'd recommend sticking with S plastic, supersoft or super stupid soft. My guess is that one you have is RFF, and very floppy.

The wizard I have is a version of soft I believe and feels kind of floppy. I kind of want something on the stiff side. Maybe it's because it was sitting outside for a while? Are they generally pretty firm?

Edit I misread your post! RFF eh? Ok then! Soft it is.

The wizard I have is a version of soft I believe and feels kind of floppy. I kind of want something on the stiff side. Maybe it's because it was sitting outside for a while? Are they generally pretty firm?

Edit I misread your post! RFF eh? Ok then! Soft it is.

Yeah, soft or super soft will still be quite firm, but a nice tacky feel. There are many runs in between each of the softness categories. Once you find something you like, you can also contact Gateway directly so they can hand pick disc(s) based on your needs. I have purchased about 40 Gateway putters in less than two years, so be careful of the addiction! :D

Yeah, don't be fooled by "Soft" - they're generally anything but.

My suggestion would be to call whomever you order from (I've done this with discgolfcenter) and specify the amount of flexibility and feel that you want, since Gateway plastics vary so much. For example, when I ordered my first SSS Voodoo, I wanted something super grippy/grainy: I called, talked to them about the feel I wanted while they tried out what they had in stock, and ended up getting exactly what I want. So if you have a particular feel, call the place and tell them, and they'll be able to find what you want.

Latest posts