• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach Putter

elkevo

Par Member
Well, I'm still trying to hammer out my approach putter situation. I've decided on the Star Aviar3 for my stable/OS approach putter. It does exactly what I want it to do.

Most recently, though, I've been auditioning a R-Pro Dart for the straight/turnover role with mixed results. It started out dead straight, but after a few putter only rounds on my small 9-hole, it has a strong tendency to turn... and keep on turning. Also, it seemed to glide for miles. Overshooting the target was not uncommon on 180' - 200' holes. I really like the feel of the Dart, however.

I've tried a Nova, but have a hard time getting a consistent, clean release. I've tried a DX Aviar and it's not bad either. I really want to like the Nova, but something just feels off about it. So, I've also been trying just throwing an Aviar.

Now I'm trying to figure out if it is me causing the Dart to turn so much or if that fourth (or fifth, maybe sixth) tree is the culprit.

I'm considering getting a Dart in Star plastic at this point. Asked about it in the Dart thread and a few people carry it, but I couldn't find enough info to make a firm decision. Most folks say R-Pro is the way to go. Keep pitching for a Dart3 one day...

I'm also considering a Star Aviar for this approach slot.

Bottom line:
I'm looking for input/recommendations for my straight/understable approach putter. I've tried R-Pro Dart, Nova, and DX Aviar. Considering Star Dart or Star Aviar. Or should I just learn my Nova?

(If you look at my sig, you will find a primarily Innova bag. Not familiar enough with other brands plastic varieties and would like to stick with what I know.)

I primarily throw OS stuff for approaches, like the Envy and the Jokeri, both of which I like a great deal. If I need something straight/turning over, I generally throw my putting putter, a Fluid Judge or a beat-in X Comet that I like. You might give the Judge a try.

My question is how far do you lan to throw this approach putter? 250 ft. and in? 200 and in? 150 and in? And is there a distance you'd consider too short to throw this disc? Answers might vary depending on that...

My question is how far do you lan to throw this approach putter? 250 ft. and in? 200 and in? 150 and in? And is there a distance you'd consider too short to throw this disc? Answers might vary depending on that...

Good question... Lately, I've been trying to see what I can do with a putter. I guess, 150' and in would be my target range. Occasionally out to 200'.

I highly Recommend the Axiom Proxy for this kind of slot. Its #'s in innova terms (to me) are 3/4/0/0

Plasma plastic is more flexy but grippy and the disc responds more understable

Neutron is similar to Star and is pretty straight as an arrow

Proton is like candy/jolly rancher Champion and is a little more stable

Weight will matter, lighter weight=more flip, heavier more straight.

Its a disc that feels comfortable and its just the bees knees

Is the DX Aviar you tried the P&A mold? If so, have you tried a Classic Aviar? Flies straight in the range you describe, can hold a turn too.

Last edited:
I prefer something OS for my approach shots so I use a PA1. If I'm in a reasonable distance I'll fan grip my McPro Aviar and it bites near the basket just fine. A Star Aviar sounds like a good option to pair with the Aviar3.

My two cents, you can use just about any neutral to stable putter in this slot. You just need to beat it in a bit first. In my experience, a beat up stable putter is way more consistent than something that is designed to be understable out of the box. I would just keep using that Dx aviar until you get it to turn the way you want. Even a Dx aviar3 will beat up and become a turnover disc if you stick with it.

Good question... Lately, I've been trying to see what I can do with a putter. I guess, 150' and in would be my target range. Occasionally out to 200'.

Classic Aviar is an excellent approach disc. super consistent.....

Agree about the Classic Aviar. Also, if you're looking for something straight-to-understable, and if you're okay with relatively shallow putters for the task, you might try the Innova Star Colt (or DX Colt).

I'll throw the Discraft stuff into the pot... If you want dead straight, no glide, no turn, no fade.. a Ringer. If you want.a hyzer thing a Zone. Looks like you want an Innova mold though.

So, you're throwing a flattened Aviar for OS upshots and you're putting with Aviars in McPro, XT and/or DX?

Biggest favor you can do yourself is stick with Aviars, in that case. Find a beat up DX. Or ask for one in the marketplace. Or just smash one up a bit. Or just start throwing one (P&A or Classic) until it develops a touch of turn.

Yes, you can try 40 different molds base don 100 different recommendations, but the best thing you can do is LEARN the molds you're using first. Then, if you find there is something you can't make one do for you, consider whether you need to fill that gap in.

If you're insistent on sticking with Innova, either stick with your DX Aviar until it gets beat up more, or look into a Yeti Pro or Jk Aviar. Both of those will need beating in for the shot you describe. You could try to learn the Nova but many people will tell you, myself included, that the Nova is difficult to range and is tough on powered down shots that you need to range.

Or listen to bsammons and get yourself a Fossil Serpent and beat it up until it's perfectly straight and staaaayble.

Well, I'm still trying to hammer out my approach putter situation. I've decided on the Star Aviar3 for my stable/OS approach putter. It does exactly what I want it to do.

The Av3 is a good disc. Sounds like you're happy with the Aviar3 and like using it, and that's a big part of the fun as well as playing well. :thmbup:

A lot of good comments.

Is the DX Aviar you tried the P&A mold? If so, have you tried a Classic Aviar? Flies straight in the range you describe, can hold a turn too.

Aside from the Aviar3, the only Aviars I've thrown have been P&As.

you might try the Innova Star Colt (or DX Colt).
I have a Colt. It's been a while since I've thrown it, so I may give it a shot.

Biggest favor you can do yourself is stick with Aviars, in that case. Find a beat up DX. Or ask for one in the marketplace. Or just smash one up a bit. Or just start throwing one (P&A or Classic) until it develops a touch of turn..
I'm really considering your advice, but why DX? Would a GStar have a similar flight to a beat DX? I don't have much experience with GStar and have only read that it's less stable than other plastics.

GStar will be more stable than DX. Any premium plastic will. DX will also cycle through to really understable most quickly, allowing you to learn the life cycle of an Aviar. Beat DX/Classic DX will be the flippiest.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but what about a S-line P1 (2,3,0,0)? From what I've read, it's essentially an Aviar. Would it be comparable to a beat DX Aviar?

Right now the budget doesn't support new discs, so I'll probably start working on one of my DX Aviars and try to understand why people like their beat in discs so much.

As much as I like customizing things, I tend to like discs that fly as intended right out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk