• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Are overstable mids pointless?

I don't think you quite understand either point. Discing down is about learning to control the disc rather than having a bunch of discs to cover a bunch of shots. It helps iron out form flaws, and is a really good way to learn some of the things you need to throw far.

The point of this thread is again that you don't need 8 different overstable discs in every speed, you can make a disc work for you if you learn how to control it. The two concepts are quite compatible if you take the time to understand them.

^This.

Also, this thread would have never been thought of if more people spent some time on the DGR throwing assignments. "Right disc wrong shot" and the like. They'd have already tried throwing their Comet on the spike hyzer hole and realized that they didn't need a Gator, Whippet, Zone, and Firebird.

DGR Training Assignments

I like a Drone for touch shots. It's not necessary, but in the woods I can bend it through wider gaps and have it fade back to the target, BH and FH. I'm talking under 100'. Zones or Suspects or whatever else, they just don't bite as hard. The rim size has a lot to do with why I like the Drone for this vs a very, very underpowered driver.

I think as long as people think they need an overstable disc to throw hyzers, these mids will be popular.

The entire point is that a xXx powered down is similar to a Gator. If you don't carry a xXx, maybe a gator makes a ton of sense.

But, guess what, if throwing a zone knocks 3 strokes off your score a round, and having a xXx does too, then throw both and run around and enjoy your -6 strokes.

Ask baseball players about pointless things. They have 1000 million traditions. If it helps your score, it isn't entirely pointless.

I have Tensor, Resistor and Shock, which are all very overstable for my less than stellar distances and form. I use Shock for very windy distance shots, and Tensor for straight shots with big fade, much easier than to power down Shock. I use Resistor for OH shots and some very short spike hyzers, where it is easier to use that than power down Tensor so much. Overall I usually don't use Shock in normal play at all, Resistor from zero to three times in a round, and Tensor couple times, depending on the course. My home course has one tight wooded hole of 70 meters which calls for low straigt shot with dumpy fade at the end. Tensor feels like perfect disc for that. Resistor could work but it's hard to dial it down just a notch without fading too soon. Many people use Jokeri for that, but then you need to throw it bit higher with left to right movement from the initial hyzer, and then there is a danger of hitting a tree on right just 10 meters of the tee.

If I couldn't keep them all in my bag, I would get rid of Shock and Resistor and keep the overstable mid i.e. Tensor.

Three years later and I still rely on a Gator to hook and stick whereas I will get much more skip with a driver. Especially when there isn't enough overhead room to throw a spike hyzer.

There are definitely shots that could go both ways, driver or overstable mid, but it just really depends on the shot. I think the skip is the biggest factor here. If I have a 100' shot that goes 80' straight and then 20' right, I will take out my zone and park it, but if I have a shot that is 60' out and then 40' right, I will pull out the flick and try to skip it at the 60' mark and have it soar 40' to the right on the skip. I can't count on the zone to make that extreme bend, but I can't count on the flick to stop fast enough on the zone shot.

Not to sound trite, but: Nothing is pointless, if it works for you.
Some people can easily use other discs to compensate for this slot, others may not.

The player who "compensates" is only better than the other player if they score lower.

Last edited:
I used to not care for OS mids at all. I still dont really when youre talking about faster mids 4,5,6 speed type discs. I do like my zoneit covers everything distance wise from short approach to mid range drive , that im comfortable with in the wind. Then i move up to a FB or PD usually.

I do not care for the drone, gator, demon etc really. Too fast to be useful for me, not versatile enough.

I carry a Gator, but I rarely find a shot for it. What it does do really well for me is spike hyzers and FH rollers. I could probably drop it and put a FAF 12x champ Firebird in, but like others have said, the skip is the important factor for me.

I recently added a Gator to my bag and I seem to use it for more approach shots that need bending around trees/trouble and the disc just falls and sticks. The Firebird is for thumbers, tomahawks or windy days. Depending on the course or the day, I sometimes add a Whippet or Viper to the bag for that Fairway overstable need.

My Drone is easier to use for moderate distance flex lines than any other disc I've thrown. Easier to get up to speed (for me) than a Zone/Firebird to hold an anny for 225-250 ft and then finish with a big fade to get around a corner.

I can see that there are MANY times where I dont use my ZONE or DRONE ,or even the CRUSH. But...When I need it...those overstable as hell discs come in handy for cutting hard.

I feel I have better control of a disc I can throw fully instead of having to half-throw a Predator or whatever.

To each their own. NO you do not NEED a DRONE or GATOR or M1 or whatever....but....wouldnt you like one?:p

Multi-stage flights at (full) low speeds and landings proportionate to the flight distance... how is this even a debate?

You crazy DGCR.

I've had a Gator in the bag for over a year and couldn't imagine not having one. I use it for spike hyzers, forehands, and low skip shots. I love it because I can rip on it without worrying about it blowing past a basket or gap. A faster OS driver could cover those shots, but it would require more finesse which isn't a strong point in my game.

Latest posts