• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Are Speed 7 Discs Necessary?

I see people on our street sometimes with these rocket bikes. Very loud. The street is about 5 blocks long, with a decent curve, two intersections, five speed humps, a stop sign, and a roundabout.

I ditched Destroyers and fairways for a good while, only carrying Rocs then jumping up to Speed 9s. After a couple years of that, a couple Velas/Eagles crept back in my bag. I feel like I can throw them like mids. So accurate.

But the biggest thing is controllable distance--they wont get too long on me when I need something that won't get too long on me.

So now I have 8 speed 9s, and 3 speed 7s.

No matter how hard I throw my Crave,

There is one word in there that is the reason you cannot throw your crave 300 feet.

Sheep, it seems to me that the partner you play with does things you see often, but then maybe you generalize and think almost everyone throwing high speed stuff does the same things?

I literally teach people to disc golf. I'm not just some keyboard warrior here on the internets. I am also very active in the disc golf community where I live and know and play with a lot of people. My sample size to draw these conclusions is very large. It's not a generalization.

The same reason you're throwing your drivers is the same reason that almost everyone else is. They don't think they can throw far enough with a disc more matched to their skill/speed. They grab slower discs then try and throw it as hard as they can because in their head they think "I need faster disc to throw further, thats how it works." so they throw slower discs harder to get the disc there.

I'm not throwing my putters or 6 speeds "harder" to throw as far as you throw your katana or your tern. I'm throwing them cleaner.

When you throw higher speed stuff like that, it can help you get a bit further because its covering up some bad form stuff. But at the same time limiting your game.

This topic is unfortunately something that can never be really solved because people are going to play their game the way they play their game. And that, in the end, is all that matters. It's about doing what makes you happy on the course at the end of the day.
But at the same time, I don't wanna hear people complain who play like this about their distance or accuracy. And I certainly don't like hearing/seeing folks that stand on this crutch of a play style handing newer players high speed discs trying to get them to learn to play. There are guys who have been playing for 20+ years that I play with and they will hand new players shrykes and katana's and all sorts of other stuff. and I'm just cringing watching these guys try and learn to golf with us as they struggle to get these big drivers moving.

I dont think there's anyone at risk of not understanding the point of what you're saying Sheep, but as a long time player and teacher you gotta recognize the difference between scoring and learning.

No player in their right mind who has enough control is going to grab a disc that will put them 30 feet shorter during a scoring round. That's a mental mistake.

Some people are always learning. Sometimes I think these people think they're gonna get on the pro tour as soon as it magically occurs to them how to throw 500 ft. Some people are just in to the mystery of what a disc will do when it leaves their goofy little mitts, and whatever is easy and fun. Its getting sun on their faces and even bad shot shaping is fun. Look at that overhand Tilt kid. He's having a blast.

Lots of us go through waves of how much effort we put in to learning vs scoring. I think people actually competing tend to treat any non-competitive round as practice. The rest of people just decide what kind of day it is.

Telling people they need to always be learning or that they _shouldnt_ throw some particular disc does come off a little gate keepy which I dont think is your intention.

If you're in learning mode, you should take Sheeps advice 100%.

If you're having fun, throw a stiletto or a wolf or a PDGA approved hubcap.

If you're scoring, use the tool that has proven to do the thing you need to do.

@Serious-OLD are you serious?. those stupid drivers hurt people.. sure I scored real well 10yrs ago and now I'm broken. It's advice like that....

haha who am I kidding, haha
😄 😆 😅

I support your rant. I think people should have fun.. 30ft is 30ft, been there done that, broke that, haha.

They won't frigging listen anyhow. I didn't.

My philosophy is:
Don't waste your time giving people good advice, just enjoy the game.

Last edited:
They're not supposed to hurt you unless you get hit by them.

I mean, if you think my advice is bad then try learning to throw slower discs "better" during a tournament and see where that gets you. 30 feet shorter of the pin is where.

You can explain to card and the TD that your disc selection was actually correct for your skill and arm speed but I dont think they'll change your score.

I dont think there's anyone at risk of not understanding the point of what you're saying Sheep, but as a long time player and teacher you gotta recognize the difference between scoring and learning.

No player in their right mind who has enough control is going to grab a disc that will put them 30 feet shorter during a scoring round. That's a mental mistake.

Some people are always learning. Sometimes I think these people think they're gonna get on the pro tour as soon as it magically occurs to them how to throw 500 ft. Some people are just in to the mystery of what a disc will do when it leaves their goofy little mitts, and whatever is easy and fun. Its getting sun on their faces and even bad shot shaping is fun. Look at that overhand Tilt kid. He's having a blast.

Lots of us go through waves of how much effort we put in to learning vs scoring. I think people actually competing tend to treat any non-competitive round as practice. The rest of people just decide what kind of day it is.

Telling people they need to always be learning or that they _shouldnt_ throw some particular disc does come off a little gate keepy which I dont think is your intention.

If you're in learning mode, you should take Sheeps advice 100%.

If you're having fun, throw a stiletto or a wolf or a PDGA approved hubcap.

If you're scoring, use the tool that has proven to do the thing you need to do.

It's not a scoring vs learning thing.

Unless the plan is Take the 1 in 5 chances you'll get close enough with the 13 speed because of how wildly you throw it and consider that a success. vs an actual scoring round where you play the 30 foot short shot because it will be in the fairway and you can take the chance at a 30 foot birdy.

The excuse that a few extra feet from a twice as fast disc is a better scoring chance is just a dull argument to me. Because the control isn't there from the people throwing.

Scoring rounds are about playing the smartest shot that you can control so you are in control of your score.
The point being missed, high speed discs are far harder to control. Those players who lean on them for the extra 20 feet don't have the control.

I'm not telling anyone they should always be learning or really telling anyone anything what they "should" be doing.

You can either listen to my opinion/advice, or not. It's up to you. I just don't want to hear you say "I can't do it" when it comes to playing, because the people who dont want to improve and keep playing that game refuse to try and thus will never get better.

This is a forum where we discuss disc golf things.
And this is a thread on why you should be throwing 7 speeds.

I've laid out WHY you should be throwing 7 speeds. It has nothing to do with scoring or learning. It has to do with the fact that you probably got a less than 9 speed arm, and should be throwing 9 speeds or lower. Why? Because your game will improve, your score will improve. You dont have to do any fancy form training, any of that stuff. Just getting the disc in your hands that will make you more successful and throw further with higher control.

But instead people insist that they need that super high speed disc. And.. In the end, thats fine. You play your game.

@Serious-OLD are you serious?. those stupid drivers hurt people.. sure I scored real well 10yrs ago and now I'm broken. It's advice like that....

haha who am I kidding, haha
😄 😆 😅

I support your rant. I think people should have fun.. 30ft is 30ft, been there done that, broke that, haha.

They won't frigging listen anyhow. I didn't.

My philosophy is:
Don't waste your time giving people good advice, just enjoy the game.
People quite seriously get so worked up over what I say. Because.. He went into whatever about gatekeeping. Feels like someone is reading to want to be wrong and dissagree vs just read. whatever.
And, then in the end, nobody reads the parts where I say. "you do you" or "its about having fun"

Not everyone has to play that way, they are not going to listen, they are going to lean on the crutch and continually be amazing when I'm throwing my envy as far as their 13 speed and go "i can't do that."
Sure you can. You just refuse to try.

Because here is the other thing if were going to bring up scoring and learning rounds.
I don't know very many people out there who just go out and play courses to practice, everyone is always scoring in some way. They are more concerned with how many strokes they shot. Not if they were able to hit lines, or they finally got that hard shot on hole blah blah blah. I duno.
I have a very different approach to disc golf. And I always have fun playing, because I like to learn and I like to compete. And the more I can learn, the more i can help others.

They're not supposed to hurt you unless you get hit by them.

I mean, if you think my advice is bad then try learning to throw slower discs "better" during a tournament and see where that gets you. 30 feet shorter of the pin is where.

You can explain to card and the TD that your disc selection was actually correct for your skill and arm speed but I dont think they'll change your score.
That's serious hyperbole. hahaha
And shows a real lack of understanding of anything I'm saying.

I can't tell you how many people I have offered advice to while they are buying discs in the gas station here. I overhear all the fun stuff like "you need a driver, a really fast one and a putter" Most of the holes on our course are 250 ft or less, lots of them at about 180. I've stopped a few people from leaving with speed 13 drivers I hope that guy I helped last week liked his cobra... his first time playing I got him to put down some crazy boss or Zeus kinda thing.

Because here is the other thing if were going to bring up scoring and learning rounds.
I don't know very many people out there who just go out and play courses to practice, everyone is always scoring in some way. They are more concerned with how many strokes they shot. Not if they were able to hit lines, or they finally got that hard shot on hole blah blah blah. I duno.
I have a very different approach to disc golf. And I always have fun playing, because I like to learn and I like to compete. And the more I can learn, the more i can help others.
I definitely am one of the people who plays for executing that one good shot or hitting the line just right. Unless it is a league round where scores are kept, I never know what I finished with either. There's a lot of enjoyment in either finding out how many discs can manage to execute different lines, and how to combine them into a simple bag that covers what I need.

Sheep's words can be taken either condescending or as insightful, depending on how you read them. It's due to the issue of just text and not the tone/delivery of them that allows it be either. He also has been defensive the last few because some comments back have been similarly condescending at Sheep.

I personally fully agree with what Sheep has said, where discing down has some big benefits for your consistency in a round and will help your skill in the long run. I'm a math guy and looking at the probabilities of each outcome will often favor the safe play for a hole that is just out of reach, pending on trees/OB etc. Going for the absolute best score possible (or trying to play catch up) would encourage the big driver, though taking the 1 in 5 chance every hole will surely result in some bad bogeys in addition to the rare but awesome birdies. Choosing when to take these risks is a skill in itself.

I am also a believer in slow and steady gains from just playing a lot. There is natural variation in every throw made, and you will naturally try to replicate the ones that are more successful. It may take a long time to really see benefits, but all the small additions really add up over time with persistence. The slower speed discs help for the gains, as the less good your technique is at executing precise nose angles, hyzer/anhyzer and such the less easy it is to diagnose what went wrong with a bad throw. The distance/35 seems to be a solid enough measure for what speed discs behave best at each distance. However, big drivers are always fun to use, sparingly. It's only when used consistently that they can cause some bad habits.

Oh, hyperbole like asserting I'm telling people to huck their speed 13 and pray after I say "No player ... who has enough control..."?

I dont know why you're so stuck on 7s and 9s anyway Sheep. I mean, what are people doing with their lives if every round isnt a putter round so they can fix their form??

Most of you probably only deserve to throw putters anyway! Ya'll dont even _understand_ the plastic I throw, man.

I've been playing long enough to know my best scores and least time searching OB have been in the last few years, since I stopped throwing anything faster than Speed 9.

And every time I step to a shot, I think "Can I comfortably get there with a putter (about 260' or in)? No? Can I comfortably get there with a Roc (about 300' or in)? No? OK, I guess I need to throw a driver."

Took me a lot of years to get this smart and to have this much fun.

Also, slower flippier frisbees are way more fun for you and everyone around you.

I hear you. I'm not throwing over a speed 3 on holes under 300, and 300-380 is speed 5 as long as its straight. I throw mids so much you'd think I learned to play watching Nate Doss (I learned to play watching Nate Doss btw.) Its only 7 if I need turn and 9 if I need fade at that distance. I'm not throwing over a speed 9 unless the pin is over 380 and the line makes sense. Sorry Sheep. Sometimes I need my extra 30.

edit : omg, subtract 30 from all of those numbers. field practice was depressing yesterday. maybe I threw too many high speed drivers... :'(

Last edited:

Latest posts