• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask John Houck about Course Design & Development

I mean, I'm having a hard time thinking of a hole that is deuce-able but not ace-able, let alone a *good* hole.
I think hole 5 at Riverview in N. Augusta is a good example. The fairway is a 25 foot wide corridor thru the woods slightly up hill. The pin is tucked to the left of the fairway and steeper uphill about 45 feet. There's virtually no airshot to the basket and the smart shot is to just try to sneak around the corner a little bit or throw a skip shot which is tough to to do with the uphill rise. The skip shot done well can get you within 5 feet of the pin but unlikely to skip high enough to ever get in the basket.

I think these holes are about discipline to play the smart shot for a deuce chance from 20-30 ft rather than the magic shot for a drop in or ace. I think hole 6 on Winthrop Gold qualifies as a hole where playing for deuce is the best play even though in theory you can try to ace it. Holes 14 and 17 also fall in that category.

Last edited:
Hole 13 at Whistler's Bend is a par 3 that is impossible to eagle/ace. There is simply no shot that would get you an ace there. Like Chuck says it's about the challenge of getting a deuce or simply making your par on the uphill. Another tough three is hole 12 in the C (long position) at Golden Gate Park. It is virtually impossible to ace this hole. I've played it hundreds of times and have only gotten a two twice, and both were on 80 footers...

Peter, we're talking more about reachable holes that can be deuced regularly but either the airshot isn't there but you can still park near it, or it's too risky to fly at it with OB behind/beside the pin. Maybe your hole 13 at WB is in this category but the one at Golden Gate just sounds like an extra long par 3.

I've played it hundreds of times and have only gotten a two twice, and both were on 80 footers...

I can tell you without even looking: This is almost certainly a bad hole.

Unless, of course, it's a legit 2-shot hole. But then, it wouldn't fit this topic.

Chuck, the Riverview example sounds reasonable. Would have to see it to verify it's not dumb, but it sounds okay as described.

I hate it when non-Houcks invade Houck's thread, espousing their own opinions.

houcks.jpg

Contact all the discs manufactures and ask them for all the info and promo on benefits of a disc golf course is my best idea

Peter, we're talking more about reachable holes that can be deuced regularly but either the airshot isn't there but you can still park near it, or it's too risky to fly at it with OB behind/beside the pin. Maybe your hole 13 at WB is in this category but the one at Golden Gate just sounds like an extra long par 3.

Yeah the hole at GGP is a long par 3. What makes it difficult is that it is a dog leg left then a dog leg right, all while throwing up a mini canyon. Big arms can try to go over the hill and drop in RHBH. I tend to throw a RHFH to maximize distance given the dog legs. At any rate, it doesn't sound like this hole is a good example. And I would disagree with grodney: it's an excellent hole. Maybe the toughest one at the course.

John,

There's a discussion going on about the pros vs. cons of water/creek OB on a tournament hole on which I'd like to get your opinion.

Summary
Say you have a medium-to-heavily wooded hole. The line-of-flight fairway slopes down and then back up. At the low point of the slope, about 1/3 of the way up the fairway there's a small creek crossing the fairway. This creek is sometimes completely dry, but sometimes has water flowing at most 3-4' wide.

The creek is close enough to the teebox that no player is going to lay-up in front of it.

Do you play the hole as "OB if surrounded by water"?

My position
My contention is that landing in the creek area is primarily a factor of luck. No players are realistically going to change their shot because the creek is OB or not OB. Making the creek OB does not increase the physical challenge of the hole, it merely further penalizes unlucky players beyond the poor lie and probably additional strokes they already have. I think good courses should test a player's skill more than their luck.

Opposing Position
One viewpoint on this hole is that the simple fact that OB is present adds a mental challenge to the hole/player that is worthy of penalizing unlucky shots.

My Justification
My stance is for casual water because I believe that playing the creek as OB is overly punitive for unlucky shots, and they'd play more fairly with casual water.

OB can be used for protection (e.g. Tom Bass #14's wetlands or McDade/LINKS private property), but mainly for risk/reward. In this case there is virtually no risk/reward decision. Standing on the tee of this hole what are you going to do differently if the creek is or is not OB? I'm guessing most players will answer that question with "nothing". I'll agree that knowing there's OB on a hole will be somewhere in a player's head. But on the holes we're talking about it (a) doesn't change the shot they're going to throw, and (b) doesn't even really make them think about changing the shot they're going to throw.

On this hole no player is intentionally trying to throw a shot that lands anywhere near that water.

• Good shots, no issue; make the gap, get up the fairway. Probably take a '3'.
  • Bad shots, will be in the rough with a tough lie almost certainly taking at least one additional stroke. Probably take a '5'.
  • Unlucky shots (good or bad) that clip a tree are possibly going to roll down into the creek area. From the creek area a player is looking at most likely and additional stroke vs. a good shot, probably taking a '4', maybe a '5'.
In my opinion, making the water OB is adding extra strokes to an already bad shot that probably has a extra stroke naturally. Why? That's not a "challenge". That's not separating score based on skill, it's luck. If there's little water in there anyway then it's certainly (bad) luck if you end up there. Good golf holes are mostly about skill, not luck. In most games of skill there is an element of luck. But most players will agree that they'd rather have their score reflect their skill that day rather than their luck. Two players can make virtually identical shots and hit the same tree. But the one that lands 6" from the other and in the water gets an extra stroke on top of the bad lie. Unlucky? Yes. Unnecessary? Also yes.

Disc golfers have this (mis)perception that "Ohhhh... it's water, it must be OB". Why? Where's that written?

Fundamentally it should be decided if the hole needs OB there or not. If it needs OB for the intent of the hole then it needs to be strung and played OB regardless of the water level (like is done at Circle-R). Playing the hole as "OB if surrounded by water" when the creek is sometimes/mostly dry is admitting the OB isn't necessary for the hole.

Oh good. I didn't think I had met you, but didn't want to be rude!

It wouldn't have been rude. But I am glad you didn't say anything before I caught it myself. Fortunately, cydisc's reply right after mine made me read my post again and look at the picture. This is exactly what I looked like when I realized my flub, :eek:.

So, I guess that's you that's second from the right?

Latest posts