• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

autocrosscrx ITB

I haven't really mastered throwing a flex for distance. So if I'm trying to push something down the fairway, I'm trying to hyzerflip it. So I really don't need much space at all. My concern is more where is it going to go if I throw it too flat and where is it going to go if I don't put enough power in it and it never flips.

I'm the same way (can't really get the hang of flex for distance) by space to flex them out I was meaning exactly what you described, If I don't connect with a shot, and it goes way hyzer of my intended landing zone, what does that leave me with?

Distance Drivers seem like they're always going to be more likely to have ground action than a mid/putter But during a recent fieldwork session I did notice that if I throw the super low hyzer flip (4-6' off the ground) vs a little bit higher shot (10-15' off the ground) I seem to be able to push my Hades/Surges's out to the same distance with either height, but the low shot seeks the ground and skips, whereas the higher shot has more time to move towards vertical and dive to the ground and get a little dance rather than the skip.

Might be something to mess with on the Ballista too, get a little more height so it lands steeper and it may not be as inclined to skip. Still not as repeatable as the softer landing of a fairway, but might increase the usefulness of the Distance Driver for you.

I'm the same way (can't really get the hang of flex for distance) by space to flex them out I was meaning exactly what you described, If I don't connect with a shot, and it goes way hyzer of my intended landing zone, what does that leave me with?

Distance Drivers seem like they're always going to be more likely to have ground action than a mid/putter But during a recent fieldwork session I did notice that if I throw the super low hyzer flip (4-6' off the ground) vs a little bit higher shot (10-15' off the ground) I seem to be able to push my Hades/Surges's out to the same distance with either height, but the low shot seeks the ground and skips, whereas the higher shot has more time to move towards vertical and dive to the ground and get a little dance rather than the skip.

Might be something to mess with on the Ballista too, get a little more height so it lands steeper and it may not be as inclined to skip. Still not as repeatable as the softer landing of a fairway, but might increase the usefulness of the Distance Driver for you.

I was talking more fade or low speed stability than ground play.

In fact, the ground is so soft that I didn't really see much skip at all.

I'm definitely not done for the year, but I might be done with wind rounds as temps are dropping. Especially since things that I've dealt with in the past like a sniffly nose or sinus congestion now means that I can't earn income.

Anecdotally, I found that I stayed healthier in winters once I started playing disc golf. Rather than just hunkering down all winter long, playing dg kept me active and boosted my immune system. And as a fellow chronic sinus infection sufferer, getting on a preventative netti pot regiment was the other half of the equation that boosted my health.
Distilled water + saline packet + alkolol = happy sinuses!

Related to a different post, you said you pull the Hatchet out of the bag for windy rounds. Boy are you missing out! Hatchets are my longest discs in a good 20mph tailwind. They routinely beat out my distance drivers when the tailwind is strong enough.

Related to a different post, you said you pull the Hatchet out of the bag for windy rounds. Boy are you missing out! Hatchets are my longest discs in a good 20mph tailwind. They routinely beat out my distance drivers when the tailwind is strong enough.

That was that one particular round that was 2 days into ownership. I didn't want to risk losing it.

With that said, I'm not sure this one will stay in the bag. I'm having trouble finding shots for it.

A few things have changed....

1) I probably pulled about 100 discs out of the local pond in 2020. If there was a number, I texted it. If no number, I put it on the local FB lost and found page. I probably got about 50 back to the owners. I was given about 10 or so discs and I kept the rest in purgatory. Everything else hasn't been claimed for at least 90 days (some more like 270 days), so now I have a bunch of discs that I'm morally okay with bagging and possibly losing.

2) I've messed around with lighter disks and liked the results. I've found a few feet of distance, but more importantly, I throw them a LOT better after I've thrown 50 shots and walked 2 miles.

3) I'm incorporating more of a forehand into my game.

I'm committed to continue putting grid Aviars and I love my classic blend Judge thrower and my favorite domey 180g DX Roc.

Every other slot is wide open.

It is like 65 and sunny today, so sneaking out of work for a couple of hours and playing a totally different bag (other than my pair of putting putters).

- Classic Aviar
- Classic Aviar
- D Line P2
- Z Line Fly Dye Zone
- Classic Hybrid Deputy
- Champion VRoc
- Z Wasp
- F2 in 400 plastic
- Ricky Opto Explorer
- Champion Leopard 3
- Gold Line Saint
- GStar Roadrunner

I've bagged the P2 a couple of times in the fall, but otherwise haven't bagged any of these in the last year. The VRoc, Explorer, Leo3, and Roadrunner are found discs. I just got the F2 back after it spent about 18 months in a pond. I lost the Saint in the first 10 throws back in May and just got it back today. It looks like someone beat it in for me.

Alright...

I really liked the Zone, the Wasp, and the F2.

I see no use for the VRoc or Deputy in my bag.

The P2, Explorer, Leopard3, Saint, and Roadrunner are fine, but don't really add anything to my bag.

Next time I play for score, I think I'll probably go...

- Classic Aviar
- Classic Aviar
- Judge
- Jokeri
- Zone
- DX Roc
- Wasp
- Ace Race Sting
- DX Teebird
- F2
- Saint
- DX Beast
- Air Ballista

I'm less certain about the bottom 3 spots.

The Zone and the Wasp are staples in my bag as well. How would you say the wasp compares to your dx roc? I guess that probably also depends how beat in your roc is also.

The Zone and the Wasp are staples in my bag as well. How would you say the wasp compares to your dx roc? I guess that probably also depends how beat in your roc is also.

Well I got 5 of them and a KC Pro!

KC Pro - super beat. Hyzerflips, turns a bit, minimal fade. Not great in wind
172g stock stamp - Hyzerflips, turns more than the KC, but fights back. Not great in wind
180g stock stamp (my favorite) - straight as an arrow hyzerflip, reliable fade, good in wind
2 bottom stamps - holds the hyzer, not as long as I'd like
Michigan Disc Golf stamped flat top - holds hyzer, even dumpier than the bottom stamps

The Wasp flies like I want the bottom stamps to fly. It feels like it just rips out of my hand. It holds hzyer, but it pushes forward. I haven't throw it against my hzyerflip Rocs, but I think it is at least as long, if not longer.

Threw again today. Again, just taking a lot of shots.

-Classic Aviar (2)
-Zone
-Wasp
-DX Roc
-KC Pro Roc
-DX Teebird
-F2
-Hatchet
-Saint
-DX Beast
-Discmania TD S Line

Really really like the Wasp. Threw some good shots with the Hatchet. The TD was pretty underwhelming.

I have so many discs that I haven't thrown and want to test. Gonna see what I can do with a Big Jerm Thunderbird, throw the F2 against a Star Eagle, and maybe revisit my Champ Teebird next go at it.

I've really had good results and really enjoy throwing my couple of lighter drivers, so I'm basically going to bag everything that I have that is about 162 and under and see what I want I want to add.

I got the Beasts on close out at Walmart and the Roc3 as a trade throw in. Everything else is something that I've found.

- Opto Air Ballista Pro. 155g. I throw this disc and really enjoy it. Relatively controllable max distance for me.
- DX Beast. 161g. Throw it low and hard on hyzer. I'm really confident throwing it hard in the woods. Unreliable in a headwind or when thrown high.
- Pro Beast. 159g. It is a little more stable and dumpy that I'd expect. It mostly holds up to a headwind for me.
- 400G H1. 157g. Absolute meathook for me.
- Prime Breakout. 157g. Thrown once, went way right.
- Champion Leopard3. 162g. Straight to fade.
- DX Roc3. 159g. A bit of turn. A bit of fade.
- DX Shark. 150g. I've never thrown it.
- DX Leopard. 146g. I've never thrown it.
- DX Leopard. 150g. I've never thrown it.

I also have a Blizzard Teedevil and a Blizzard Boss, but I think I'm okay with drivers to start.

I'm not totally sure I even want lighter putters and mids, but I'm thinking I ditch the Breakout and the Innova starter pack stuff and maybe pick up another mid or 2 and another fairway.

150g dx sharks are a ton of fun

Like many, I bought a starter pack when I was new. I actually bought 2. I ended up losing the Leopards and eventually donating the other discs to a youth group at a church. I remember throwing one of the Sharks just before donating them and being pleasantly surprised with the flight.

I rocked a starter pack shark for a long time. Was a fantastic disc. It was pretty beat up when I got it. Flied dead straight at seemingly any power. Might still be in the bag if I hadn't lost it in a car crash. I've since filled it's spot with something i like as much or more though.

I also bought a set of used discs when I got serious about playing. Among them was a thrashed 150 dx leopard. Man that was a fun disc. I could throw the steepest hyzer possible, and it would flip to a roller. I used to throw some wild overhand shots with it too. Kind of miss that disc too. It met the same fate as the shark.

Played a bit the last few days and feel like my 12 disc bag is in a pretty good place for my game.

-(2) Classic Aviar - putting only
-Classic Blend bar stamp Judge. Neutral to slightly stable approach disc
-first run Z Sol. Neutral to understable approach disc
-Z fly dyed Zone. overstable approach disc
-Z Wasp. stable to overstable mid
-Pro Leopard. Fresh, so straight with a bit of fade.
-DX Teebird. When I want more distance than the Leopard.
-400g F2. When I want more stability for my fairways.
-Champ Firebird. When I want more stability than my F2.
-Opto Air Ballista. Max Distance.
-DX Destroyer. Fresh, so a bit more stability than the Ballista

Heavily invested in Rocs and 9 speed understable drivers, but I think this bag covers my gaps a little better.

Z Wasp. Love it :thmbup:

What kind of US 9 speeds are you referring to, That's my bread and butter.

Z Wasp. Love it :thmbup:

What kind of US 9 speeds are you referring to, That's my bread and butter.

I had a Z Heat that was my favorite disc and lost it. I've messed with a Hatchet, Saint, Sphinx, Roadrunner, Valkryie, Undertaker, and a few others. The Heat slotted nicely between between my Teebird and my distance drivers, but none of these others really put more than a couple feet on my Teebirds.

For the first time in my disc golf life, I pulled the Judge from my bag. I feel like I can do everything I want between the Sol and the Zone. Also pulled the Firebird. I just wasn't using it. Added a Gold Line Saint to get me a few more feet over the Teebird. And added a DX Beast for a specific wooded shot.

Ballista, Teebird, Zone, Sol probably saw 80% of my shots.

I'm amazed that people still buy DX discs and expect them not to change flight until they fill a completely different spot in their bag.

Regarding your drivers, I like the Beast but find a huge difference between Champion plastic (overstable for me) and Pro plastic (understable for me). I've ordered a GStar one to see if I can fill the gap, as it's a really comfortable disc for me and I can get it out to 370'.

Latest posts