• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

So I have recently discovered that I cannot throw this disc properly except while putting. This is due, mostly, to the wind in this area, but also that I am not used to the depth or the level of power this disc requires. If I can throw a Mako3 around 300 ft, how far should I be able to throw the Aviar P&A? Also, is it worth it to grab a Champion to use instead of an R-Pro or DX?

1) With good clean form, you should be getting ~250' with an Aviar if you can throw a Mako3 ~300'. Probably even more if you get enough height.

2) Champ/Star are good for durability/predictability, but DX seems better for glide. If you are learning putter throws, I'd go with DX. It will give form feedback better than the premium plastics.

If you don't mind the feel of a Nova, I'd recommend that. I recently gave it another try and it has been really great at cleaning up form. It flies exactly how you throw it; instant feedback on your throw.

Thanks for the info and advice guys, I need to work on form some more and I want to develop a smoother throw so it sounds like I need to start throwing these more. I might step up to a premium plastic because I have a tendency to hit trees hard enough to deform DX plastic pretty easily, though I shouldn't be able to throw these very hard. so my only issue to contend with is wind, I need to find a park somewhere with no wind to practice in to correct my form before introducing wind back into the mix. I will definately be shooting for that 250' mark.

I find that with putters, spin is very important. It's a slower disc sow you don't have to throw it as fast as a driver, but if you get good snap and spin the glide really shows itself. I'm hitting 280-300 with rocs, and I can usually push a P&a out to about 260-280'. You gotta give it air and keep the nose flat or a tick down though.

Putters need more height and spin.

You can get them past 300 with good form.

Especially PnA's.

They bomb when you hit it right.

yup, they can bomb fer sure. In the right hands.

I have no experience with R-Pro or G Star Aviars. Can anyone here comment on the stability compared to DX P'n'As?
I have Champ, XT, and Star Aviars but most of my experience is with DX.

yup, they can bomb fer sure. In the right hands.

I have no experience with R-Pro or G Star Aviars. Can anyone here comment on the stability compared to DX P'n'As?
I have Champ, XT, and Star Aviars but most of my experience is with DX.

I have a GStar Aviar P&A, and it is one of the few GStar discs I like and recommend. I never did much more than putt with mine, and I found it to be the same stability as my Star PandAs.

Has anyone tried any of the DX color glow discs? How do they compare to normal dx? More or less stable? Grippy/soft/firm?

...a GStar Aviar... recommend.

So I bought and thrashed a bunch of new Aviars:
DX
DX bottom stamp
DX Glow (not color glow, sorry Ponder... no experience with those)
R-Pro
XT
Star
G-Star
Champ
Classic
And an AV3 just for the fun of it.

Long story short, the plain-Jane DX is where it's at IMO. XT is a close second.

Despite my distaste for softer discs, R-Pro was really nice for driving. G-Star wasn't bad either. I'll probably swap to one of these blends for the winter rounds.

Glow was great for long drives. But not a big enough difference from regular DX to justify the slight price hike. I was consistently hitting right at 300' with the glow and the DX. Consistent 270' for the more expensive blends.

I still haven't found a great role for Star/Champ Aviars. Their fade is a little more abrupt and hits a little sooner. I guess they are good at crashing through brush? Not that they are any better at it than DX... but they will take the damage better. I don't usually carry these. If a particular shot requires fade then these are a better solution than other blends.

So.... when the dust settled I found myself appreciating different qualities from each of the different blends. They are all good in at least one way; they are all Aviars after all. But the regular old DX is just so versatile and I love cycling my discs to get under stable plastic. So DX Aviars will always have a permanent spot in the bag while the other blends are much more situational.

Has anyone tried any of the DX color glow discs? How do they compare to normal dx? More or less stable? Grippy/soft/firm?
No experience with the color glow Aviars, but I have the regular glows.
They tend to be a bit stiffer but not Classic Aviar stiff.
They are as grippy as regular DX.
They are a half-tick more over stable than DX. It's barely noticeable but it's there. Because of this, they make good driving putters.
Hope this helps!

I'm looking for a new putting putter. I briefly used a KC pro aviar and I liked the stability but don't like the bead. So I'm looking for a beadless aviar that is slightly more stable. Maybe I will try a color glow. I've also heard the McPro aviar retains some of the stability of the KC pro despite being beadless but I'd rather not get attached to a putter that is so expensive and limited availability.

I'm looking for a new putting putter. I briefly used a KC pro aviar and I liked the stability but don't like the bead. So I'm looking for a beadless aviar that is slightly more stable. Maybe I will try a color glow. I've also heard the McPro aviar retains some of the stability of the KC pro despite being beadless but I'd rather not get attached to a putter that is so expensive and limited availability.

Soft Warlock by Gateway is a McPro Aviar for a fraction of the price.

Soft Warlock by Gateway is a McPro Aviar for a fraction of the price.

Thats what I've been reading.Too bad I didn't know this sooner because I was at PIAS and they had gateway for 30% off. I did look at the dimensions and it appears the warlock is a bit deeper. Do you have experience with the two discs? Is the warlock noticeably deeper?

The Warlock is 99.999% the same as an Aviar PandA. In my experience Warlocks are as overstable as a premium Aviar PandA which is to say just barely more overstable than a DX Aviar.

If you want a beadless Aviar that doesn't feel tall, have you considered an Aviar3?

Just out of curiosity, how far are you throwing your putters? Under about 200' many putters act the same so the deciding factor should be in-the-hand-feel. Once you are stretching your drives out to 250'+ then they start separating themselves.

Thats what I've been reading.Too bad I didn't know this sooner because I was at PIAS and they had gateway for 30% off. I did look at the dimensions and it appears the warlock is a bit deeper. Do you have experience with the two discs? Is the warlock noticeably deeper?

Aviar P&A's are slightly wider diameter and Warlocks start out a tick more OS. Interestingly enough I just started throwing Warlocks again for the first time since 2012ish after almost exclusively using them for putting. I used to use a beat Aviar P&A as an US throwing and long putter and have brought my beat to snot first SS Warlock for that slot and then added a newer stiffer SS for the stable thrower. Point is the Warlock has a little bit longer lifespan.

Pretty sure the color glow is the Aviar-X mold, also known as big bead or JK Aviar

Edit: Nvm, I thought you were talking Pro Glow, but I now see Color Glow DX up

Last edited:
awwwwwww, Brockness! You got my hopes up!
I'd love to have DX BB Aviars. SS Wizards will have to be good 'nuff for now.
Although the factory store does have XT BB Aviars... hmmmm...

I have played a few one-disc rounds with the Whale and didn't really like it that much. Its OK and it works... but it didn't have the magic I want. FWIW, I liked the Stud better than the Whale. I think I like a little fade.

Latest posts