• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back to the Basics Bag

RobS

So, I'm stuck in a rut right now and thinking about going back to the basics. I used to main RHFH but one day I felt this pop in my elbow and it caused my ring and pinky finger to go numb. They'd go numb for a couple months after if I kept my elbow bent for extended periods of time. Since then I've been working on my backhand and adjusting my forehand. I can RHBH a 150g Champ Valk and an unknown weight Glow Roadrunner 300-320' on a consistent basis. I RHFH a 171 Wraith right about that distance, sometimes longer. But I'm looking to just disc down and develop better mechanics. Here's what I'm thinking:

Putter:
BH & Putting: Omega SS Big Bead
FH: Rhyno

Mid:
Buzz/Roc I really love the buzzz for FH and I love the roc for BH. Maybe one day I'll love one mold for both throws.

This is where I need the help
Fairway Driver:
Leopard
Maybe a teebird, eagle, or xpress. I really dislike the feel of the stalker and zombee.

Overstable Driver:
Firebird

Not thinking of going any faster than these until I can can shape lines better and throw accurately. I also picked these discs because I either have them already or they are readily available. However, any other options and opinions would be great!

And along with these discs will be practice, lots and lots of field work!

You can't go wrong with the Teebird, in my opinion. One other disc I like in the fairway slot is the River. It has a nice, neutral flight and in my experience it's a good disc to learn to turn over.

I know a lot of people think the Teebird and Leopard are the combination to have, but I think the Eagle "X" and Leopard cover more variety. Heck, carry all three and use the Teebird as your main driver. I did for a while but eventually dropped the Leopard as I never really used it.

I rock a similar set up! :thmbup:

You might like a DX Teebird and/or DX/Champ Teebird combo.

The champ obviously holds the slightly OS fade at the end through more abuse while the DX beats in rather quickly to a more straight flier with just a touch of fade at the end.

If you really want to get back to basics, go buy three DX Eagles and work them into your bag one at a time. If you play on a wooded course, it will only take a couple rounds before you're ready to work in a fresh one. You could also intentionally beat one up to accelerate the process.

And I would add to the DX Eagles a DX Gazelle or two. A beat Gazelle is a better Leopard in my opinion.

Yup. Either DX Eagle-X or Gazelles. If it were me, I'd go with Gazelles. Grab a couple and work them in as they beat. They are easy to power up in the woods, and are super workable.

Teebirds are great mostly because they are super HSS and loooong. If you do go with Teebirds, the G Star ones are suprisingly pretty straight for a premium plastic TB.

Awesome suggestions guys! I put the leopard because I have a star one sitting in the closet. I do have a champ teebird and I think a dx one also . I think I'll pick up an eagle and gazelle. Then if I like how they're working, I'll pick more up and work them in like Buzzchief said. I feel like I need some discraft since I'm originally from Michigan lol. Oh well :( thanks guys for all the responses! More advice is always appreciated!

Oh, what weights should I be looking for? I was thinking like 170 +/- 2.

Prodigy fanboy here. I'd say to try a Prodigy F5. It's close to a Leopard, but with more glide an a little stronger fade. Great disc for this range. Especially forehand.

I've been stuck in the middle of nowhere for work for the past 2 weeks now with the nearest course being over an hour away, so i've mauled it over, read a whoooole bunch of threads, used your guys input and decided on this set up:

Putters:
2 Omega SS Big Bead One for Approach, one for putting
1 Rhyno FH Approach shots/more overstable

Mids:
1 Z Buzzz for FH
1 KC Pro Roc for BH

Drivers:
1 Star Leopard
2 DX Eagle-X's & maybe 1 star/g* eagle x if not, just a 3rd dx eagle
1 DX Teebird
1 Champ Teebird
1 CFR Glow Firechicken

Total of 12 Discs. Probably get back ups of my mids after they beat in a bit more. The only discs i will have to buy are the eagles. I figured I'd get a star or g* so it stays as my stable version.
Might just get a new bag too because my current magellan is beginning to fall apart after a year of use and serious abuse. Looking at either a new Magellan, or the UPD shift.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Putters:
2 Omega SS Big Bead One for Approach, one for putting
1 Rhyno FH Approach shots/more overstable

Love it, the Omega is a great putter and I love it's flight and Rhynos are always a good idea.

Mids:
1 Z Buzzz for FH
1 KC Pro Roc for BH

Why not just use the Buzzz for both BH/FH and drop the Roc?

Drivers:
1 Star Leopard
2 DX Eagle-X's & maybe 1 star/g* eagle x if not, just a 3rd dx eagle
1 DX Teebird
1 Champ Teebird
1 CFR Glow Firechicken

Also great. You can use your beat dx drivers for turning shots until that Star Leo beats in.

Looking at either a new Magellan, or the UPD shift.

I highly recommend the Shift, especially if you are more of a disc minimalist. Perfect bag for it.

@Streets, I just really like the feel of the roc for BH better than the buzzz. The buzzz just doesn't feel as comfortable. But FH is the exact opposite. lol.

Back to basics

Hey guys, great thread. I'm in a similar situation. Older player (42), been playing casually for a few years and just not getting any better. Need to work on my form as well. I like this set up, but have a question on molds. Why the Eagle X over a regular Eagle, especially in the DX plastic? Also, where did you buy the X version in DX plastic. Having a hard time finding them on line. Thanks.

I bought mine off of marshall street disc golf, so they were marketed as x's. They don't say e-x or anything they just say E. But if you're at a local store, you can look at the rim & see a difference. You can look up the difference on this site by searching.