• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand 1357

A little better in the macro-movement in the drill but then it reverts in the live throw. I have more specific thoughts/observations about your balance moving foot to foot revealed by how your head moves. I think it's compensating rather than fully aiding the ground pressure going in both directions. I'll try to explain.

ywkoYz0.png

Notice that Simon has his head tracking with the disc into the hit and his shoulders are framing the disc into the smash. Notice also how his head appears more forward into the hit and his shoulders stay aggressive into the swing overall. In contrast you have your head off and away, and a bit of S-curve in your posture when you swing to smash. I think you've still got your balance stacked inside the brace when you land, and your head is basically counterbalancing that so you don't fall forward over your plant foot. Your spine needs to curve to let the head do the incorrect counterbalance because you are coming in with a lot of acceleration and you would stumble forward out of control otherwise.

Another related issue stood out. In the DD drill before you throw and then in the real throw, your throwing shoulder is slightly open a little early and it's because you're a little out of balance and posture swinging into the hit. See e.g., in the DD drill:

DMkYuts.png

100% of the time I do something wrong in the drill, it's also revealing an underlying problem in my throw.

Can you humor me and do the double dragon again, but this time try to make your head track the disc all the way through the hit when you do the final swing? I think you'll have trouble at that speed so slow down if needed. I think it will throw you out of balance and perhaps reveal what else to attack.

Also, I wanted to suggest that you try mixing in this drill with a hammer or disc on a natural hyzer. It also might feel a little intuitive from your hockey background. What I really want you to focus on is how your pressure moves between the feet to get to the outstep and into the heel moving each way at the peak of each swing. Your head should feel like it's balancing each way. But just as important, you need to practice getting that shoulder closed and arm swinging nice and wide and pulling you each way through the whole range of motion. For me it really has helped the fundamental problem I'm describing here and also great when I throw wider and more horizontal like Kuoksa. Speaking of which, I think your issue is slightly different from my current battle but you will benefit from watching this too:

Trending better. I'd keep framing the disc with your head/chest in general. I think yoking changes in the context of DD is helping. I think I see the next issue.

You still are landing/stuck a bit behind your plant leg and recoiling back. Go do the little shift move Steve Pratt shows in that video above at ~4:00. That's basically what I rambled about here. I could only do it in dance and is part of what I'm grinding now since it's much harder in DG for me - you struggle with part of this somewhere in your movement too.

If you're doing it right, it should feel like the tippy top of your head is helping your foot pressure out along your outstep as you plant to swing, then flow up into the hip with the weight supported on the hip and down through your leg. Right now, if not your head, you have your weight somewhere in the imaginary "force bow" line (don't take it too literally) landing too inside your front hip, so when you land and resist collapse you get power from your leg, but your body has to fall back away from the target.

I only started to get reliably more on top of the leg/not trapped behind my femur with Reverse Stride then OLD. You can also try taking your DD and instead of striding forward, land exactly where you plant doing the drill and throw. Forcing the stride to be shorter will probably throw you off balance - stick with it and focus on landing into the leg in that narrow stride length.

Note - likely you're going to really need to grind to force your body to get more firmly on top of that leg consistently since it doesn't seem to want to. Even past that I'm finding the head pendulum will probably continue to need lots of repping since once your body is trying to save your balance somewhere inside the legs it might be resistant to change. Keep at it.

That reverse stride makes a lot of sense. Def should help for my case and will practice it tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Aha! Your legs are doing something mine used to do. This is part of why you seem to still rotate and can't get onto the plant leg quite right. It's because your leg action is never allowing you to swing your body quite right. It was working through a lot of changes in Reverse Stride that helped me change it permanently. But I had to do something else in that context. This may help:

Watch the angles of your shins as you move back and forth. Your rear knee/shin doesn't turn back away from the target until you've already posted up in the backswing.

I share this drill gingerly because I don't want people to be too "jack-in-the-box" as SW22 points out. But each part of it has a specific goal and I think it takes you in the right direction if you do it correctly.

Watch how I start bouncing up and down to feel the foot pressure directly against gravity into my legs. I often need to exaggerate it when I learn because my legs have a hell of a hard time bearing load. In your case, it will (1) still help the legs "hey, get loose and athletic and stack more vertically through the legs into the ground" for most people. Sometimes I do this with more of a hop back and forth to simulate the Crush in the plant.

Then, (2) march the stance out wider as you keep rocking like I do ~0:18. Start to make the action more horizontal/smooth rather than jack-in-the-box/up and down. (3) Watch my shin angles as I swing back - notice how my rear knee is swinging back away from the target into the backswing - that's the same action as the little bounce exercise at the beginning of the drill, but instead smoothly doing that action synced with my arm into the backswing. You want to get even more smooth rather than bouncy over time - compare my leg action from the drill above to my swing from this morning where the bouncing is no longer obvious, but the leg action is comparable. I don't have to think about it anymore but I still feel the little bounce if I focus on it. You want your body to do it whether you're narrow or wide or stagger stance etc.

SW22 is talking about this little hidden "bounce" action on the rear side here.
I thought I was doing it for a long time, but I wasn't, and I was stuck for weeks. Then I played with the knee bounces and then eventually started doing the exaggerated drill a ton (literally to the point of hip inflammation, don't go that far lol) that I convinced my legs to do it reliably. You'll feel your weight sweeping back and forth much more efficiently if you're doing it right, feel free to post and we can look.

Then, we go back to reverse stride because you're going to need to relearn how to anchor your plant. BTW: the plant leg has the same knee "bounce" btw, it's just hidden in pro form because the action is so small and quick - it's part of the "resisting collapse" idea. You're not bouncing up and down as much as using that bounce-like action to transmit force up the chain. There, maybe dropping into it harder/directly into the leg in your hockey drill will help trigger your body.

Last note to help you understand why this matters and is better action. If you compare my body from the swing this morning to SW22 OLD form as we both enter the hit, you can see that my tilted axis keeps improving with balance retraining.

mbqXtAT.png

SW22's head is stacked into his foot very aggressively and firmly and he still has better dynamic balance than I do. This is what I was talking about head pendulum retraining after he shared that golf video with me - his head and foot are in excellent alignment and sync. But I don't think you can ever get the right axis without this leg action. The reason neither SW22 nor I are blowing out our plant knees is because of this action. Imaging taking SW22's axis there but putting it into a horizontal x-step and you get Paige Peirce's lovely axis:

QKASDtt.png

RRsqViW.png

myYxSk0.png

Aha! Your legs are doing something mine used to do. This is part of why you seem to still rotate and can't get onto the plant leg quite right. It's because your leg action is never allowing you to swing your body quite right. It was working through a lot of changes in Reverse Stride that helped me change it permanently. But I had to do something else in that context. This may help:

Watch the angles of your shins as you move back and forth. Your rear knee/shin doesn't turn back away from the target until you've already posted up in the backswing.

I share this drill gingerly because I don't want people to be too "jack-in-the-box" as SW22 points out. But each part of it has a specific goal and I think it takes you in the right direction if you do it correctly.

Watch how I start bouncing up and down to feel the foot pressure directly against gravity into my legs. I often need to exaggerate it when I learn because my legs have a hell of a hard time bearing load. In your case, it will (1) still help the legs "hey, get loose and athletic and stack more vertically through the legs into the ground" for most people. Sometimes I do this with more of a hop back and forth to simulate the Crush in the plant.

Then, (2) march the stance out wider as you keep rocking like I do ~0:18. Start to make the action more horizontal/smooth rather than jack-in-the-box/up and down. (3) Watch my shin angles as I swing back - notice how my rear knee is swinging back away from the target into the backswing - that's the same action as the little bounce exercise at the beginning of the drill, but instead smoothly doing that action synced with my arm into the backswing. You want to get even more smooth rather than bouncy over time - compare my leg action from the drill above to my swing from this morning where the bouncing is no longer obvious, but the leg action is comparable. I don't have to think about it anymore but I still feel the little bounce if I focus on it. You want your body to do it whether you're narrow or wide or stagger stance etc.

SW22 is talking about this little hidden "bounce" action on the rear side here.
I thought I was doing it for a long time, but I wasn't, and I was stuck for weeks. Then I played with the knee bounces and then eventually started doing the exaggerated drill a ton (literally to the point of hip inflammation, don't go that far lol) that I convinced my legs to do it reliably. You'll feel your weight sweeping back and forth much more efficiently if you're doing it right, feel free to post and we can look.

Then, we go back to reverse stride because you're going to need to relearn how to anchor your plant. BTW: the plant leg has the same knee "bounce" btw, it's just hidden in pro form because the action is so small and quick - it's part of the "resisting collapse" idea. You're not bouncing up and down as much as using that bounce-like action to transmit force up the chain. There, maybe dropping into it harder/directly into the leg in your hockey drill will help trigger your body.

Last note to help you understand why this matters and is better action. If you compare my body from the swing this morning to SW22 OLD form as we both enter the hit, you can see that my tilted axis keeps improving with balance retraining.

mbqXtAT.png

SW22's head is stacked into his foot very aggressively and firmly and he still has better dynamic balance than I do. This is what I was talking about head pendulum retraining after he shared that golf video with me - his head and foot are in excellent alignment and sync. But I don't think you can ever get the right axis without this leg action. The reason neither SW22 nor I are blowing out our plant knees is because of this action. Imaging taking SW22's axis there but putting it into a horizontal x-step and you get Paige Peirce's lovely axis:

QKASDtt.png

RRsqViW.png

myYxSk0.png
Starting to make sense... Getting closer to 600' lol. I'll try to get video tomorrow

https://youtu.be/b9WvMPZ_Ef4

Had to go back to my "natural" form after being so detail oriented. In this video I'm just thinking about throwing a tunnel shot with a fairway driver.

Spine pendulum still screwed, as you can tell from the image. You can see how Eagle is in perfect dynamic balance on the plant leg. His spine is perfectly on line with the plant leg. I, on the other hand, collapse forward completely so there is virtually no brace. I am completely unbalanced dynamically from the start, so there is no way for me to shift my weight ergonomically. I need to land on the front foot with my whole body/spine balanced "behind" the front leg
b6dc34c73cdc65174301f3f7a43b3b60.jpg

1. Hold beverage with rear hand.

2. Swing your lead shoulder forward over hip. Your shoulder goes up behind your hip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 9.02.48 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 9.02.48 PM copy.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 63
1. Hold beverage with rear hand.

2. Swing your lead shoulder forward over hip. Your shoulder goes up behind your hip.

attachment.php
That does look bizarre lol. I need to swing through something infront of me, instead of stopping short and going up high. Also maybe not a bad idea to hold beverage with my off-hand for real

https://youtu.be/R6ckhSOI5HQ

Tried out the door frame drill. I was really focusing on letting everything stretch back.

You look in line with the door frame which means the door frame would hit you haha.

Try steeping a foot or two backwards. Weight should be dropping into the plant towards that cardboard box. Think of falling back towards that box but the frame stops you from falling.

Play around with your feet spacing shouldn't have to stride much into it. Should feel like bouncing tug of war between you and the frame and you can't quite plant your right foot down, toes should be down but should be difficult to put heel down cause the frame won't let you.

Looks like you somewhat drop your weight and then just initiate your normal swing, a break in the chain of events. Your weight should be crushing down so much so that your arm just gets slingshotted forward you don't have to make it happen.

Pull that door frame by sitting back towards the cardboard box with your hip/butt and then when your arm goes flying forward guide it down the line straight out from the door frame and don't be in the way of it. Just let it happen, don't try to throw a disc while holding onto a door frame, throw the door frame.

Focus on the last couple Inch/cm shifting motion of the drill, when you drop/sit and your weight suddenly accelerates from gravity/free fall pulling against the frame/arm with heavy momentum.
Agree with FB ^.

Your feet are too backwards. Setup neutral, note how both my feet are flared out slightly. Need to play around with the rear foot placement, walk it around.

I also think your rear leg is remaining extended instead of sitting deeper into the drill.

https://youtu.be/wcV4-5p14Ww

Still doorframing... I can feel(and now see), myself being scared to let go. Although I'm not sure if that's the right way to put it. Tbe main point is, I have the SAME exact issue in door frame drill as I have in my real throw:

Pay attention to my plant heel. It does not plant when I let go of the frame. Somehow I manage to keep my heel airborn for a long time after the my arm starts swinging. Actually, the plant leg in its entirety has the same exact issue in doorframe as my real throw. I don't know how, but it's just a fact that even in doorframe I completely collapse the plant leg.

Lot of work to do lol. Would have never guessed doing doorframe drill would be this difficult.

Plant leg collapsed to literal spaghetti --> rear leg is locked out like a pole

^ yes, watch your feet wiggle a little, you still have a little bit of that rotation sauce in your feet in general.

1. I think your rear foot/stance could be slightly closer to the frame
2. After you put your hand on it, then squat/sit/settle into the stance more before leveraging against it. If you do this it helps you understand where the feet should be and how the rear leg gets good leverage just before you would drop into the plant.
3. Maybe try the Buttwipe drill again before you do it and focus on how you can sit into the legs in transition.

Door frame is pretty sweet, huh?

https://youtu.be/wcV4-5p14Ww

Still doorframing... I can feel(and now see), myself being scared to let go. Although I'm not sure if that's the right way to put it. Tbe main point is, I have the SAME exact issue in door frame drill as I have in my real throw:

Pay attention to my plant heel. It does not plant when I let go of the frame. Somehow I manage to keep my heel airborn for a long time after the my arm starts swinging. Actually, the plant leg in its entirety has the same exact issue in doorframe as my real throw. I don't know how, but it's just a fact that even in doorframe I completely collapse the plant leg.

Lot of work to do lol. Would have never guessed doing doorframe drill would be this difficult.

Would highly recommend not swinging out of the door frame drill until you understand it/feel the leverage.

You need to walk your rear foot target wards and this will probably shorten your stride length which is fine. Notice how long and slow your shift of weight is. You want to start on your lead foot tippy toes and then lead with you butt. Hand should pull you towards the door frame while sudden weight shift pulls your center away and this is what leverage feels like.

You shift slowly and then just swing your arm for the fences haha

Don't be afraid of leaning towards the frame as it pulls you. If you're leaning back outside posture you will feel zero leverage. But try it so that you can feel a difference! Walk that rear foot so far target wards it feels horrible then work back to the sweet spot.

1. Rear foot probably too close to target, your head is still behind your rear knee.

2. Stance looks slightly staggered open.

3. I'd be scared I'd rip the door off the hinges, or the handle off the door if I really put my mass into it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 10.50.40 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 10.50.40 PM copy.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts