• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand driving question.

caleb1989

So currently maxing out at 300' with full x step run up, standstill I can throw close to 270 I know you should be getting more than 30' out of a proper x step so there is something I'm not getting, than I watched a tutorial about weight transfer. And I think something clicked I watched a video of me driving and I saw that almost the entire run up I keep my back kind of bent backward and all my weight on my back leg and I don't believe with that style that I'm able to get much weight transferred to my front when I pull through on my throw, but in the tutorial it talked about staying more balanced as you reach back you hips and butt should be sliding forward making it easier to transfer weight onto your front. So am i on to something here is this something that could really help?

no pro or anything here, but I'm guessing like your first 10 replies are all going to suggest something, but say they don't really know without a video of you throwing and if you can upload the video of you that you mentioned. hahaha

Sidewinder, Could you explain what you mean by turning internally in the last part of your video? Turning the hips internally...turning the shoulder internally (is that a possible scenario?). Thanks!

Sidewinder, Could you explain what you mean by turning internally in the last part of your video? Turning the hips internally...turning the shoulder internally (is that a possible scenario?). Thanks!
I'm not sure which context about shoulder rotation you are asking. I was probably either talking about keeping the shoulder inside your posture/feet when swinging back, or I was actually talking about internal hip rotation and wasn't clear on that part.

The shoulder does actually rotate in it's socket when your twist your arm and does happen some naturally during the arm swing. You can also manipulate the rotation and shape shots that way. So if your arm is out straight, you twist or pronate like pouring a cup of coffee, would be internal rotation. Likewise the opposite twisting the thumb over into supination, aka the dreaded OAT monster.

This explains internal hip rotation:

This explains shoulder rotation:
https://www.tennisplayer.net/public/biomechanics/chas_stumpfel/internal_shoulder_rotation/

Forearm pronation, also internal shoulder rotation:

SW - great video and thank you so much for posting! I do have one area of confusion and that is with the thumb turning under the bottle during the drill. Is this just something you have to do for the water bottle? Because it seems that the thumb would end on the bottom of a disc if you threw this way instead of on top. And if this is the case, would doing this drill ingrain a bad habit for an actual throw in regards to turning the hand? Just wanted to make sure I'm getting this right :)

SW - great video and thank you so much for posting! I do have one area of confusion and that is with the thumb turning under the bottle during the drill. Is this just something you have to do for the water bottle? Because it seems that the thumb would end on the bottom of a disc if you threw this way instead of on top. And if this is the case, would doing this drill ingrain a bad habit for an actual throw in regards to turning the hand? Just wanted to make sure I'm getting this right :)
It is a little exaggerated(as drills are supposed to be) with the water bottle because you don't actually ever throw the bottle and carry it into the followthrough, and it's a drill using a cylindrical bottle and not a flat disc, but it is a process throughout the swing for most hyzer to flat shots or sometimes anhyzers. Most top throwers followthrough with the palm facing down to the ground or relative to the shoulder plane, sometimes even thumbs down. Watch the hand in the followthrough:

It is SO hard to see, even in these videos as it happens so fast. Is the hand on these throws rotated right AFTER the disc leaves the hand? I mean the thumb has to be on top at release, right?

It is SO hard to see, even in these videos as it happens so fast. Is the hand on these throws rotated right AFTER the disc leaves the hand? I mean the thumb has to be on top at release, right?

A function of arm structure as much as anything. Getting that rotation helps keep the disc on its plane but also helps keep your arm loose and capable of a follow through.

Experiment. Turn your hand palm up and slowly see how far you can mimic a follow through.
Turn your palm down and do it again.

The video posted in this post:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2939102&postcount=43
Look how far Gurthie's hand flys around and how hard it looks like it hits his LEFT hip.

Next experiment step, like the water bottle drill, tryout SWs reciprocating dangle arm drill.
Get in a nice athletic position arms totally limp and try and mimic hip rotation and weight shift. Totally limp arms let them flop around. Pay attention to the position your hand faces as it whips around what would be a follow through.

Thanks! That video slowed things down enough to see it. So it is not an active thing you try to time but rather the way your hand wants to turn to be able to get the full follow through.

Thanks! That video slowed things down enough to see it. So it is not an active thing you try to time but rather the way your hand wants to turn to be able to get the full follow through.

Mostly, but it can be a bad habit that needs to be broken as well. I was palm up really bad before coming to this site. It caused all kinds of issues. No real spin on the disc as it came off my hand like a serving platter, the momentum of my arm and lack of flexibility meant I had to pirouette my whole body as a follow through. Palm up also caused a varying degree of OAT.

With a proper grip and loose arm it should just happen but that is why Sidewinder's drills are so good, they reinforce good habits and refine posture.

I guess the palm down doesn't apply for forehand though(?). I recall seeing videos/advice about trying to keep the palm up to the sky in the follow through.

Would make sense. I haven't thought much about forehand as my shoulder won't allow it. Rotator cuff issues that actually is getting better with improving backhand form but trying to throw sidearm or overhand anything feels like my arm is going to pop out.

I guess the palm down doesn't apply for forehand though(?). I recall seeing videos/advice about trying to keep the palm up to the sky in the follow through.
Like in BH it varies depending on how you swing through and want to shape the shot.