• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backpack Style DG Bag for $60

I played with joshmo65 not too long ago and his bag was holding up great.

Around the course recenly I have begun to see alot of DIY bags so I think the word is getting out. As much as I would like to support disc golf specific companies it is very hard to justify spending $200 when there is a $50 alternative that is just as good in quality and comfort.

Yea, I saw a guy with the Swiss Gear backpack last week. Was going to go with a Kong or Karma, but this is just such a cheaper option that will probably be better on my lower back.

Yeah, Cabela's fishing backpacks always intrigued me more. Seems the features they use for angler packs translate pretty well into DG. This is my favorite:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...ishing-tackle-storage-tackle-bags/_/N-1100378

But this one really intrigues me:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...ishing-tackle-storage-tackle-bags/_/N-1100378

If anything, the "tri-strap" gets me wondering. And at $40, it's tempting just to try it out. Plus Cabela's does free site-to-store shipping if you happen to have one nearby.

Ya, the Cabela bag does look almost exactly like the Grip and functions really well. I probably would go with it, if it was still on sale for 50, or if I had one nearby to eliminate the 10+ bucks shipping would cost me. Plus, I sorta like the extra storage these 'double deckers' have on top.

I've been using a DIY swiss gear pack for a few months now, its great. Has anyone added an internal frame to the top compartment? If the top is empty the putters sag into the backpack and fall out at times.

I made a platform for the top out of an old license plate frame and some silver vinyl adhesive tape. Might come in handy if its ever stolen.

Sorry, I don't frequent the equipment section. I guess I should subscribe to my thread to answer questions :)

My bag is holding up great! I made a few more adjustments to it. The major ones, was that I plasti-dipped the bottom of the bag to help protect it from the elements and I cut off the waist strap.

2zyadzr.jpg

With the plasti-dip, I feel that I may have wanted to go all the way up the back support. When playing in the snow, the snow really stuck to the holes and then got on my back, making for a cold back. As long as I remembered to wipe it off it was fine though.

I didn't want to take off the waist straps as the best way to carry a backpack is on your waist instead of your shoulders. There were two things contributing to me taking them off... the first, was I accidentally shut the latch in the door of my car and broke off half of it. It still latched ok, but not great. The 2nd, was that I was too tall (6'-6") so the waist belt did not sit on my waist and instead went across my stomach which was useless.

I tried to paint my frame black with spray paint to make it look snazzy, but it was useless as the discs rubbing up against it wore it off easily as you can see in the picture. It also wore onto my discs some.

mrr193.jpg

Finally, I put some safety pins on the putter pocket zippers so that they would not go down to far and have the putters fall out.

17ddm1.jpg

I have yet to have any spill outs and am extremely happy with the bag, especially for the price. I see that it is once again available at Wal Mart (link here) and would highly suggest it for anyone trying to save a buck. :)

I still don't see why you started a seperate thread when posting in my original one would have kept all the info in one place. Anyways, like others have said good job hacking that together and glad you found the newest version of the bag.

I still don't see why you started a seperate thread when posting in my original one would have kept all the info in one place. Anyways, like others have said good job hacking that together and glad you found the newest version of the bag.

I thought that you said that those bags were out of production and it may be difficult to find them, so I thought that this thread would be for this specific bag. They can be merged if the mods want.

It looks like the bottom pocket does not extend very far up from the flap to hold the discs in. I may be wrong, but it looks like the top half can zipper off which may make the bottom pocket as big as the opening and the discs may be prone to falling out. Try it out and return it if it doesn't work before you make any modifications to it...

That one is only 7.5" deep as opposed to the 9 inches on the Mountain Trails and the Swiss Gear bag... the discs might not fit in there. Also, there is no putter pocket :(

Man, it's tough to find the Swiss Gear Neuchatel for under $65 - Still huntin'...

The specific bag was oop. They idea could be used on different bags and the original thread had lots of ideas in it. Thanks for at least mentioning it but it would have been nice to keep it going as opposed to copying it.

I tried to paint my frame black with spray paint to make it look snazzy, but it was useless as the discs rubbing up against it wore it off easily as you can see in the picture. It also wore onto my discs some.

Dye the PVC. I believe it will take dye.

That one is only 7.5" deep as opposed to the 9 inches on the Mountain Trails and the Swiss Gear bag... the discs might not fit in there. Also, there is no putter pocket :(

Good points - My mom has this one: http://www.tamrac.com/3385.htm May work better, but it seemed Huge! I'll take a closer look when I can. I was looking for something a little smaller - I like the look and durability of these packs. But, no putter pocket is a bummer.

I have the Swiss Gear DIY bag and I really enjoy it. I have a 9 can cooler that fits perfectly in the top. That Walmart brand looks like a pretty close knockoff. The design is almost identical. I ended up adding 2 small pvc pipes that go across the top of the pvc frame. This keep a cooler filled with ice and beverages from weighing down on the discs as you pull them in and out. This bag has saved me a ton of money. My brother buys the drinks as long as I carry them.

I also cut the waist straps off. I left the padded "wings" that go half way around your waist. I fold them together and they add more cushion to the lower back portion of the bag.

I have the Swiss Gear DIY bag and I really enjoy it. I have a 9 can cooler that fits perfectly in the top. That Walmart brand looks like a pretty close knockoff. The design is almost identical. I ended up adding 2 small pvc pipes that go across the top of the pvc frame. This keep a cooler filled with ice and beverages from weighing down on the discs as you pull them in and out. This bag has saved me a ton of money. My brother buys the drinks as long as I carry them.

I also cut the waist straps off. I left the padded "wings" that go half way around your waist. I fold them together and they add more cushion to the lower back portion of the bag.

You should post pics and info in the original DIY thread. It was briefly mentioned in the first post.

Latest posts