• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Badfinger's Bad Bag

badfinger

While I'm still relatively new to these boards, I thought putting up my normal bag would help me in getting some recommendations in the future as I'm looking to build either a Discmania or Discraft set soon to see what all the rage is about. I have thrown Innova since my first round of DG 3 years ago. I used to be a NCAA ball golfer who through multiple accidents, hurt my back making hitting golf balls consistently impossible. While I can still play, I'm just not competitive at it any longer. So, my buddy got me into disc and I've been throwing ever since.

Distance Drivers:

175g Champion Boss (long hyzers - forehand shots)
> Summertime only discs
171g Champion XG Boss (long s shots / FH rollers)
173g Champion Destroyer (Go to for long turnovers/ FH)
171g Champion "AO" TeeDevil ("butter" disc - throw it any way I want and it'll hold the line)
167g Champion "AO" TeeDevil (My understable distance drivers. Wonderful anny's)
174g Pro Wraith (Domey, but just got it. Haven't thrown more than 5 times)
172g Champion Archon (wonderful 300'-350' S-Curves. Falls just short of the median line usually)

Drivers:

171g Star FL (300-350' slight right to left shots / shorter FH)
172g Star Valkyrie ("on-a-rope" drives from 300-350' with no fade )
168g Champion Sidewinder (Sharp anny's/ rollers / three-quarter speed straight shots)
175g Champion "BSF" Teebird (300-350' with slight fade into wind)

Fairway Drivers:

172g DX Viper (utility disc/ massive meat hook shots - wanting to find a champ or star to replace it with)
175g Champion "BSF" Gazelle (275-300' shots and a few flex shots / play it like a shorter Teebird)
172g Echo Star Leopard (my other "butter" disc. throw it on any angle and it sticks unless in wind)

Midrange:

172g Star Cro (Stable shots into the wind)
180g Champion XG Roc+ (less stable than the Cro, a bit shorter on distance as well. My go-to mid for slight stability)
171g 12x KC Pro Roc (Newerish - wonderful for 240-300' any angle except hyzer)
175g 12x KC Pro Roc (Worn - less stable but still butter - dark grey though and hard to find when playing solo)

Putters:

175g Yeti-Pro Aviar (Regular Putter)
175g Yeti-Pro Aviar (Backup)
175g JK Pro Aviar-X (Just got this one, purchased to dye. After looking, can swear this is nothing more than a softer Proto Yeti-Pro)

So, there ya have it. There are other discs that make their way in and out of my bag depending on the course I'm readying to play (usually my Skeeter, Dart, or Kite) but rarely do they come out to play. Thanks for the read.

First of all, you're not throwing far enough to justify all those distance drivers. I'd dump them all exept the Pro Wriath.

You need a Meathook driver besides the Viper. Try Firebird, Monster, Predator, xXx, etc...

Your Gazelle overlaps too much with the t-bird. Chose one.

Add a beefy Roc and get rid of the Cro and you'd have a good bag.

Yeah, no. I throw up to 450, but most courses I play don't require it. Milo and Pier are the only ones I take my distance discs to. For my league bag, the FL is about the longest thing I carry. That and the Valk.

Are you using the Leo for turnover shots? If so, there's some overlap with it and the Sidewinder, but not much.

15 molds is WAY to much. The most molds I ever play with is 10, and that's including a couple of special trick shot discs. I usually play with just 5 molds (Voodoo, Leo, T-Bird, F-bird, Starfire-L) and that covers 98% of my shots.

Update 2013 Bag. Throwing up to 450 now on a good day, 400 max on a "bad back" day:

173 Lat 64 Halo (Goldline) (Headwind driving, Stable finish.(new))
167 Lat 64 Halo (Opto) (Go To distance driver for S-Curves, Turnover, Straight Shots - Breaking in nicely)
172 Lat 64 Blitz (Gold) (Long Hyzer shots and low, long splash shots - I LOVE THIS DISC!)
167 Champion Sidewinder (turnover shots)(Will be dropping from the bag as soon as the Opto Halo breaks in a wee bit more)

174 Lat 64 Trident (Spike Hyzers, Tomahawks/Thumbers)
174 Champion Eagle
174 Champion Eagle
171 Champion Gazelle

175 12x KC Pro Roc (Broken in, but not beat)
175 12x KC Pro Roc (Aim it there, and it goes and lands flat)
180 12x KC Pro Roc (New and heavy, stable finish)

175 SSS Magic (Upshots and turnovers)
175 SSS Wizard (Inside 20 Feet)
174 SS Wizard (Chalky - Putting outside 20 feet)
175 SS Wizard (Chalky - Thrower)
175 R-Pro Pig (Greatest utility disc in my bag)

Things in the bag I have recently acquired and are testing:
173 Legacy Cannon (Gold line looking plastic - Was a gift for X-mas, still in testing - not used in play currently)
178 Champ Roc3 (Star Stamp)(Been hucking the crap out of this disc lately. Liking the feel quite a bit)

So, compared to my bag last year and the one I'm running so far this year, what do you think?

155+ Blizzard Boss for D and you're fine if the other discs are fine in headwinds. If not check out the Force and the Gator because the Pig should suffice for shorter distances. Boss if the Cannon does not work that is.

Thanks for the advice, JR. I have yet to pick up any of these lighter weight discs as of yet, so you've perked my interest. I must ask however, do the Lat64 Opto Air line compare to the type of Boss you're talking about? I never thought of the Boss as being very flippy, and I can get my lighter weight Halo to pick up and carry nicely, so I'm not sure where the recommendation fits. Is there a gap that I'm not seeing that I should be correcting? Thanks again for the help.

Danforth said:
First of all, you're not throwing far enough to justify all those distance drivers. I'd dump them all exept the Pro Wriath.

You need a Meathook driver besides the Viper. Try Firebird, Monster, Predator, xXx, etc...

Your Gazelle overlaps too much with the t-bird. Chose one.

Add a beefy Roc and get rid of the Cro and you'd have a good bag.

Thanks for the advice. I switched up the drivers a bit, as the Wraith I had made it's way back into the wilderness from where it once came. :roll:

As you can tell from my updates, I took your advice and did what you said. The Viper became very unpredictable this past summer and has been parked to rest. I added a Trident and a Havok as my meat hooks, as I've fallen in love with Lat 64 stuff lately.

Dropped the T-bird, and stuck with the Gazelle, and grabbed a backup firebird to accompany the one I've been beating in the past couple of summers.

Added the 180 Roc and a Roc3, dropped the crow, and have been very happy ever since.

Again, thanks for the help.

I don't see any holes in the bag and if you manage to find an Opto Air disc that suits you for D go for it. The trouble with Latitude before Air technology was that the discs are too inconsistent from one individual to the other and i'd like to know what the situation is for the Air tech discs. Halo is not the longest disc even in lighter weights. Nukes and Bosses go farther just like domey high PLH VIP Kings that are made by Latitude. My Air 159 IIRC King is one flippy disc and not at all recommended. That is the only Air disc i have thrown.

Bosses in max weight in calm conditions are not flippy light ones are and R-Pro Bosses at least are made in a different mold i've been told. Weight for weight Nukes are longer than Halos in max weights and low 160s at least and i don't think neither mold is made in lighter weights.

The Cannon is long and if your disc is good enough stability wise and longer than the Halo and won't break in super quickly like my early one did i see no reason why you couldn't use it effectively as a distance driver.

JR said:
I don't see any holes in the bag and if you manage to find an Opto Air disc that suits you for D go for it. The trouble with Latitude before Air technology was that the discs are too inconsistent from one individual to the other and i'd like to know what the situation is for the Air tech discs. Halo is not the longest disc even in lighter weights. Nukes and Bosses go farther just like domey high PLH VIP Kings that are made by Latitude. My Air 159 IIRC King is one flippy disc and not at all recommended. That is the only Air disc i have thrown.

Bosses in max weight in calm conditions are not flippy light ones are and R-Pro Bosses at least are made in a different mold i've been told. Weight for weight Nukes are longer than Halos in max weights and low 160s at least and i don't think neither mold is made in lighter weights.

The Cannon is long and if your disc is good enough stability wise and longer than the Halo and won't break in super quickly like my early one did i see no reason why you couldn't use it effectively as a distance driver.

The only thing I find as a negative to the Cannon is the extra wide rim, as it doesn't seem to fit right in the hand. Maybe it's just me over-thinking it.

It is a real consideration and may not suite everyone right away. In time as the hand and the fingers strengthen and get more limber it becomes more manageable. I have short fingers and a medium hand and i can throw the Cannon.

So when looking for a blizzard boss, should I be looking for the ones with the bubbles in the flight plate or in the rim? I've been told they fly differently.

If you can find ones without bubbles in the wings they are a hair better IMO not so much as others seem to find but i have not tried many different discs of the same mold in close to each other in weight so i lack data. The trouble is those kinds of disc aren't made any more.

Latest posts