• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag for the slow

slowarm

Par Member
Here's my set:

Magic (Don't know which plastic, but this one's pretty soft and flexy)
Ch Rhyno

Ol Fuse
Z-Buzzz

St TL
Ch Sidewinder
St Starfire

All discs (+/-2) 173g. Maxing out @360'-370', although on course I hardly ever throw further than 330' (about 100 meters). That's why I decided to leave the Wraith out of the bag. Don't need that 15 meters of extra distance. Rather trying to be accurate...trying...trying.

I don't want to carry any more discs, but if you think there's a better 7-disc combination, feel free to comment. At the moment I'm doing pretty well with this set. The Starfire will drop out from the bag once it takes some more damage (thinking about a Firebird or Predator to replace it.)

slowarm said:
Here's my set:

Ch Rhyno

Ol Fuse
Z-Buzzz

St TL
Ch Sidewinder
St Starfire

All discs (+/-2) 173g. Maxing out @360'-370', although on course I hardly ever throw further than 330' (about 100 meters). That's why I decided to leave the Wraith out of the bag. Don't need that 15 meters of extra distance. Rather trying to be accurate...trying...trying.

I don't want to carry any more discs, but if you think there's a better 7-disc combination, feel free to comment. At the moment I'm doing pretty well with this set. The Starfire will drop out from the bag once it takes some more damage (thinking about a Firebird or Predator to replace it.)

Starfire is speed 10 P PD is about 9.5 and more frgiving of powering down. So for control carrying a new one and one that is broken in should help. Perhaps even in lighter weights. 168 takes winds just fine in S-Line.

JR said:
Starfire is speed 10 P PD is about 9.5 and more frgiving of powering down. So for control carrying a new one and one that is broken in should help. Perhaps even in lighter weights. 168 takes winds just fine in S-Line.

So what's your suggestion? To carry a P-PD and a S-PD? I'm not adding two and dropping one. And the TL stays in the bag (a stable River might get it's place one day, but right now I feel sooooooo comfortable with the TL). However, I don't like the Starfire too much. As an forehand disc it serves well, but I'm not very pleased about how it behaves in strong winds. A meathookish S-PD maybe?

slowarm said:
JR said:

So what's your suggestion? To carry a P-PD and a S-PD? I'm not adding two and dropping one. And the TL stays in the bag (a stable River might get it's place one day, but right now I feel sooooooo comfortable with the TL). However, I don't like the Starfire too much. As an forehand disc it serves well, but I'm not very pleased about how it behaves in strong winds. A meathookish S-PD maybe?

I was thinking more like two P PDs. Maybe in 168 so that you use one exclusively until it breaks in and then use both for different shots. Most new P PDs fade enough and tackle winds well enough that you don't need S-Lines at you power.

This is it for this summer:

Ch Rhyno

Ol Fuse
Z-Buzzz

St TL
Ch Sidewinder
Ch Firebird

JR: I keep the PD in mind, maybe I change my TL/FB combo to two PDs one day. I got a Ch Firebird very cheap from a friend of mine. Cost me a pint of beer! He's a "pro" and it was too beat up for him...it's a meathook for me. Great for headwind and strong fade drives.

About the weight: I've always used about max weight discs. Easier to get. Also, isn't it a good idea to throw discs in the same weight range? I used to have some OAT problems and I trained with 150 class drives to clean up my form. It worked (well, at least for fixing the OAT.)

slowarm said:
This is it for this summer:

Ch Rhyno

Ol Fuse
Z-Buzzz

St TL
Ch Sidewinder
Ch Firebird

JR: I keep the PD in mind, maybe I change my TL/FB combo to two PDs one day. I got a Ch Firebird very cheap from a friend of mine. Cost me a pint of beer! He's a "pro" and it was too beat up for him...it's a meathook for me. Great for headwind and strong fade drives.

About the weight: I've always used about max weight discs. Easier to get. Also, isn't it a good idea to throw discs in the same weight range? I used to have some OAT problems and I trained with 150 class drives to clean up my form. It worked (well, at least for fixing the OAT.)

With practice you can throw the same mold in any weight unless it turns to unusably flippy. The same disc in different weights is often more similar to each other than different molds. The learning curve ain't always that steep. Although a Leo in 150 is unusable compared to even Sidewinders at max weight.

Magic is OK, but Wizard is more reliable for main putter.

Champ Rhyno is a good driving putter. Wizard also would serve dual use on this front.

I don't know Ol Fuse.

Z-Buzzz is the most essential disc in your bag. I hope you throw it a lot.

Getting rid of the Sidewinder can improve your disc golf score. You don't need to throw that if you can throw 100 m without effort.

JR is right, and you can probably replace all your drivers with 2-3 PDs of different plastic and wear if you're only going to carry 7 discs. I've thrown a ton of different molds, and I've yet to find anything as good as the PD in the driver category for disc golf purposes. C-PD and/or S-PD + seasoned P-PD covers a great deal of territory (headwind, hyzer flip, turnover, roller, etc.), I think you can get by with just those if you're not throwing too far on your local courses. And it is a great idea to use a bunch of discs in the same mold but with different degrees of beat-in-ness. All the pros do that. Do what they do if you want to shoot better scores.

And, you don't carry enough discs to play around too much with weight variations. Stick to something comfortable is good. If you like stuff around 170 g +/- a few g, that's good, since this weight range is easy to find.

In fact, I used to throw just the Wizard for a putter. But on my local course it's very windy sometimes, so I took the Rhyno for approaches and short drivers. I don't even like the deep rim of the Rhyno, but sometimes it's just essential to throw a rock that doesn't care about the wind and if I miss the basket it won't roll away.

Fuse is my understable mid, Buzzz is for wind/forehand. Both get a lot of throws, up to 85 meters (280 feet) or so.

TL is my main driver. I can throw the TL in calm conditions easily to about 100 meters (330 ft), but every extra meter after that is pretty hard for me. Sometimes it'll fly, sometimes it doesn't. The longest drivers for me are Wraith and Flow, but as I stated before, I rarely see the need for the extra meters.

I use the Sidewinder in strong tailwind and for turnover shots. Also, it's the only disc I can hyzer flip flat and even flip to turnover without any problem. I don't use it very much, neither does the FB get a lot of throws. TL is so good (although I sometimes switch it with my rather stable GL River, both feel great, but as I use them for the same shots I only carry one of them with me).

I use all of my discs, but to be honest I think I would get the same score with just one putter, Buzzz and TL (okay, if I'd play with just one driver I'd take Star TB or similar).

About the weight: Discs about 175 g are the easiest to find. That's the only reason I throw them.

A few changes along the way...

Ch Rhyno

Opto Fuse
S-MD2 (or Z-Buzzz, depends on day)

St TL (Or Gold River, depends on day)
Star Roadrunner
Star Firebird
Pro Wraith

95% of my shots are taken with Magic-MD2-TL.

I fell in love with the MD2. Oh no, I was already engaged with my Buzzz. What a tragedy!

Every now and then I'm also carrying Valk, Flow, PD, TD, Roc, Shark, P1, Ion, Wizard and some other shit but those above are the ones I normally play with.

Magic
Ch Rhyno

GL Fuse
S-MD2

S-FD
St TB or TL (depends on day, sometimes I carry them both)
Pro Beast (beaten, very understable)
SOLF / S-PD / Z-Nuke (depends on day, right now I'm having a good time with SOLF)
St Firebird

Gee, too many discs there and I even fancy the idea of adding a (over)stable mid.

I would not stop the search for perfect mid setup there. For me personally there are better mids out there than what you have. Roc and Buzzz are at cult status for a reason. I haven't found flat gummy C MD2s so i don't know from personal experience if it could compete against those. I would pit a Coyote against the S MD2 any day as long as there is something beefier and more wind tolerant in the bag. Actually the Coyote could possibly beat the Fuse for everything else but the tightest left to right turns. So i'd put the in between but better Coyote against both of your mids and adding a Buzzz or a Roc according to preference and a Gator on top for utility and winds. YMMV.

JR, I know my set up lacks a stable mid. GL Fuse and MD-2 might be a bit overlapping. The thing is, I'm so fond of my Fuse, works for me in case I need easy distance, a turnover or an easy hyzer flip. If there's some wind or I need a small flex or just a dependable fade, I take my MD-2. If it's real headwind I just grab my TB or FB or even Rhyno, even if it's a mid-range shot. A Z Buzzz or a Gator would probably do good for my game, but I'll let it be for now. I've had a DX Coyote a couple of years ago, didn't like it. Then again, I didn't know shit about throwing golf discs back then.

I just bought one new Fuse and one used. If it happens I loose them both, I promise to give a champ Coyote a shot. And if I ever get a bigger bag, I'll add a more stable mid there. Satisfied? :)

Star Coyote would be better overall. Imagine how a Fuse would have flown for you two years back :) I haven't thrown a DX Coyote but if it beats into more understable than Stars and Champs it would be a flippy disc indeed. Star and Champ Coyotes aren't.

The rainy days are here again...This is a minimalist bag for the Fall. Was playing yesterday and in the middle of the round it started to rain. Oh man, the drivers started to slip through my fingers way too early.

Slow and sticky is the main criteria here:

Magic (worn)
S Wizard (newish)

S-MD2 177g (my bread and butter, pretty sticky for S-line)
DX Roc 176g (new)

DX TB 166g (worn)
DX TB 175g (newish)
SPD 175g (worn, but still stable enough to handle the winds)
Pro Beast 174g (newish) (I took this into my bag, because -thanks to JR- I just decided to polish my FH form with an understable driver.)

Thinking about buying a DX Banshee for overstable driver slot. I'm not sure about the mids. Never really liked the Roc. Great disc, I know, but it just doesn't feel good in my hand. What's a good sticky baseline plastic mid-range that can handle some wind?

Beasts have been made more OS than before so none i've bought in the last two years have been understable BH. I have a mess for an arm and FH form but i have thrown a 166 Pro Beast to 300' without flipping it FH. Base line is not the only way to go tacky these days. Obex and FLX Buzzz are tacky if you get the medium Obex but a DX Gator is good too although not nearly as good in wind beating as the primo plastic versions. Pro D Zone is way overstable and loses some of that over time but it ain't the stickiest base line plastic. Technically it could be seen as a putter and without beating it in and a stiff headwind it will fade out at putter distances or actually less than the longest putters. S Warrior ain't the best wind beater but it is way longer and less fading than the seriously overstable Gators and Zones. I have not tried the newest Gateway mids but have heard that some of them are more OS than the Warrior so the wind handling could be better. I just don't remember which one it was. Mystic?

I just realized my minimalist bag is almost old school.

S Wizard (beaten)
Ch Rhyno

Z-Comet (or beaten S-MD2, depending on what colour I like more on game day)
Z-Buzzz

DX Gazelle
St TB (beaten, understable)
Ch Eagle-X
Ch Valkyrie
C-PD (1st run, dead straight and a lot of fade in the end)

This is the set I've a had a lot of success this year. Haven't played a lot this year, but my scores on the local courses look a lot better than last year. Also, I can finally throw 105-110m with ease. And hell yeah, my putting accuracy is pretty good nowadays. Playing less, getting better results - weird. I do occasionally carry other discs in the bag, but I really don't need anything else than what's above.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the DX Gazelle. I fell in love with Gazelle last Fall and now I think it's my best disc, but damn it's DX and given some tree love it's gone. Hate to buy a new one every other day... Some suggest here at the forum that a Cyclone would be close to Gazelle, but the two I have tested aren't even close. Also checked the Star Gazelle, but it was a completely different disc with a decent dome.

For that slot, do you really need a DX Gazelle? I mean you got the beaten star teebird, and you could prob stretch out the z comet/beat md2.

Also, have you tried a blizzard boss? They bomb pretty good, I've let a few guys in my power range (300-330ft) use mine and they love it for long distance with predictable fade.

Flipflat said:
For that slot, do you really need a DX Gazelle? I mean you got the beaten star teebird, and you could prob stretch out the z comet/beat md2.

Yes and no. That's why I keep carrying my old Star TB with me, but it just isn't the same. It's probably a mental thing. After my Gazelle in use is unusable I go back to Teebirds. I must have a form issue, because I can't throw my mids as long as Gazelles/TBs (should I?). I can throw (calm, golf lines, not pushing for max distance) mids to 80-85m, fairway drivers to 100-105m and speed 9-11 drivers to 105-110m. So there's a gap between my mids and fairways. Well, Gazelle is easy to power down, for one reason to carry it.

I'm not very fond of the wide rim of the Bosses and others of that kind. But yes, they are very long for my power range. I have a Bliz Teedevil that I have tossed over 120m (tailwind), one of my longest discs. Anyway, I rather stay on fairway :)

That mid to FW gap is not long so no biggie IMO. If it bothers you there are longer mids that are pretty close to FWs like Stalker, Squall, Coyote, Warship, Axis at least. Powering down is a useful skill.

Warship felt good, sneaky long too. The one I tried was not able to fight any wind. Are they all the same or did I have a understable one? Nothing wrong with the Coyote, but I can't get it any longer than a Comet or MD2. Could give Stalker a try.

By the way, seems like I added some 'internet distance' to my mid-range throws. I'm able to throw them 80-85m if I get a good throw (that's about maxing them out), a controlled easy shot is more like 70-75m.

Latest posts