• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating in a Disc

depends on plastic and the design of the mold itself. High speed (sharp rimmed) lower quality discs will break in much faster than slower (blunt rimmed) high quality plastic discs.

Premium plastics can take a year+ to start to really season up but also WHERE you play can be a huge factor. Some discs by design don't really lose a lot of their overall stability and stay true to the designed flight for a long time while others transform into completely different flying discs.

Ya. There are a number of factors that change a lot about ho it breaks in. Plastics like elite z and goldline plastic are ridiculously durable but the process speeds up depending on if you're in the wooded courses, Rocky courses or complelty flat. You could hit plenty of trees everyday and season a disc within a few weeks or you could throw shirt flat holes on soft soil and itll fly the same forever practically. I usually notice a good difference in glide/fade after about 6months with my go to drivers but its been a year with a fairway i use situationally and that wont change anytime soon.

You can bend and flex it by hand if you want to break it in quicker, I do that with my putters to get them nice and gummy.

What disc are you talking about? Plastic, weight, course types you play (wooded, open, rocky, etc), distance you throw...

Whenever I get discs in DX plastic, I only get max weight because they last longer than lightweight DX. Weight doesn't matter as much in my opinion on premium plastics, but the heavier baseline plastics are more dense, and therefore more durable.

beating in a disc

It is also my understanding that a bead on the bottom of the disc is for the purposes of preventing a disc from losing stability. i.e., if a disc has a bead, it will beat in slower than a disc without a bead.

I started on all premium plastics a couple of years ago but I've been throwing a 90% DX bag for about 5-6 months now and the transition in stability is amazing. I'm sure for the old timers it's normal and the durability of premium plastic was/is amazing but if you haven't tried the base line route yet, it's a blast.