• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Beginner bag (opinions wanted)

Edonohue20

Hi guys, I was just introduced to the sport a couple months ago and am now looking to put together a bag for myself. I have a few discs (8) in my cart right now and want some opinions before ordering. Right now these are the discs

Drivers-
Champion Leopard
Dx Teebird
Dx Valkyrie

Mids-
Z Buzzz
Comet
Dx shark

Putters-
Dx Aviar P&A
Super soft Warlock

I don't think anyone is going to complain about that bag. Have fun with it on the course!

If you're going to switch anything then maybe go to a Pro Leo (slightly less stable). I feel like your mids may be slightly redundant as well as all of those discs go quite straight, but with slightly different feel/speed/flight...but they are very similar. Especially the Shark and Buzzz once the Shark is worn in. However, being a new player, mids are a great thing to throw and it's not a bad thing to see what you prefer.

You won't go wrong with what you have there. You could get away with maybe skipping one of the mids and the DX Valkyrie, and then after a few rounds and practice seeing what you want to spend that money on...but if you've already ordered what you listed you'll have a bunch of good discs that are all useable on the course and for learning.

Looking good already. I would likely stick with what you have currently. Though if you are an exceptionally quick learner and throwing over 300 already then maybe check out some higher speed stuff. If you are concerned with improving faster I would just stick with your current bag and take out the Valkyrie.

Some good discs to consider would be a Innova Star/GStar Tern and Dynamic Disc Lucid/Fuzion Renegade. Another disc to consider would be a Innova Firebird. The Firebird is wickedly overstable and good for overhand shots as well as skip shots, forehand rollers, throwing into high winds.

Disc selection is great. Lots of slow and straight-ish discs that you can learn throwing with.

I would stay away from Dx plastic. it just beat sup too quickly and the discs will change flight patterns even faster than you can learn to control them. I like all my discs in star plastic. But that's personal preference.

Nice set up for a beginner! Usually we just hear; I have a Katana, Ape, Boss, Grove and an Aviar! LOL

Just a suggestion, if you like what you have and are doing well with them, buy the same discs in different plastic and you'll have many lines covered with discs you know well.

Get a Pro Leopard
Star Teebird
Pro or Star Valkyrie
And maybe a Champion Shark3
Get a few more putters one for just putting and one for driving and upshots.

Best of luck

No valk
Switch the plastic on the teebird and leopard
(You could go dx on both, and get an upgraded plastic later)
Switch the shark for a wasp

As your DX drivers beat in replace them with premium plastic - Pro, Star, Champion - depending on your preference for feel and stability (with Champion the most overstable). If you're not throwing approaches both FH and BH you may want to consider a really understable mid such as a Stingray for those right hand turn shots. I also agree with replacing the shark with a WASP so you have a more overstable mid.

Then get a few of the same putters and practice, practice, practice and oh yeah have fun with that nice bag set-up.

Yep, I'd just leave the Valk at home for now, and take everything else. Well constructed bag.

Even if you get to/over 300', keep using those molds, and reintroduce the Valk. Get some of your drivers (Leo/TB) in a more durable plastic.

Good selection. I would honestly drop down to just your DX Teebird, DX Shark and the SS Warlock and really focus on throwing well and learning those 3 discs. As the Teebird and Shark get beat in replace them with fresh versions and you might want to snag another Warlock so you can have one for throwing and one for putting.

Looks like a great starter set. And I couldn't really fault a single choice. But that said I do have some thoughts.

For your drivers think 150g. Except for very windy days lighter discs are simply easier to throw. The first disc that made sense to me was a 150g Champion Leopard. And while that Champ plastic is more overstable at the get go as a newbie it will season quick enough. And its a two way street. You'll be learning to control that disc as it seasons. Eight years later I'm still carrying a 150g Champ Leo. And although it doesn't have a permanent place in my bag I do throw a 150g DX Teebird.

nice selection of mids to IMO. The Buzzz was the 2nd disc that did what I wanted and still has a place in my bag. The downside to the Buzzz for me is that its tough to find a Buzzz in light weights. The Truth however feels very Buzzzlike. And you can get a Truth in the 150g range. So I bag it to compliment my Buzzz. Same basic flight and feel, but when I can't take a full throw or need just a little more finesse its the Truth. Eight years plus into the sport, my form still leaves a lot to be desired. So the Comets I've owned and tried are collecting dust in my basement. The Comet is a GREAT disc, but it is not forgiving. Your technique is off slightly and the Comet gives you instant feedback. It was too frustrating for me. There is a good reason for the Shark to be part of Innovas DX starter set (along with a Leopard and Aviar), its simply a great disc. It works well in most any kind of shot and it's easy to throw.

Another thought about mids. The Pearl. Another lightweight choice. And an excellent understable compliment to the Buzzz. I turn the Pearl over too quickly. However my wife and son love it. My son btw, has only played about 5 rounds and he is throwing that 155g Pearl further than any mid I throw. And pretty damn accurately too I might add. If you want/need a good anny mid I don't know if there is a better one.

A putter is a putter. Not to downplay your choices or trivialize putters in general but to say any putter can be "the one". It's all about how it feels in your hand. If it feels good it inspires confidence. And the most important key to putting success is confidence.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

My $0.02: if you are throwing your Valkyrie and it starts going left (for right hand backhand, a.k.a. RHBH) and keeps going left, then you may not yet be ready for it. However, if you throw it and get good distance before it tails off and goes left (as discs will do, that's physics), then keep it in the bag.

I'd stick with what you have and worry more on improving your game first of all. Your discs are decent enough for any beginner. The Buzzz is a juicy disc. Most people love their's. The Aviar is more than sufficient and one of the top selling putters of all time. The DX discs will eventually start to turn hard but are great to learn with. Discs won't make your game better at the beginning. Practice will. I own a Gibson guitar. Having a great guitar doesn't make my guitar skills any better. Practice does.

Hi guys, I was just introduced to the sport a couple months ago and am now looking to put together a bag for myself. I have a few discs (8) in my cart right now and want some opinions before ordering. Right now these are the discs

Drivers-
Champion Leopard
Dx Teebird
Dx Valkyrie

Mids-
Z Buzzz
Comet
Dx shark

Putters-
Dx Aviar P&A
Super soft Warlock

Looks good to me! No changes. A little later you can replace the DX Teebird and Valkyrie with champion. You're going to like that SS Warlock!

I had a similar post about building a newb bag a while back. Everything you listed looks similar to what I added. To start, I had a Tern in my bag, but subsituted that with a Valkyrie after throwing the Leopard for a while. LOVE it. For too long I was using a disc that I lacked the speed to properly command. I found it rewarding making easy throws with the Leopard and working on my form.

TeeBird is solid. Maybe adding a Gazelle or similar over one of your mids?

As for putters, the one piece of advice I'm glad people on here gave me was "try a few". I replaced my worn out Omega SS with a RPro Aviar. Really like it. I thought I didn't like beaded putters, but then I used a RFF Wizard. Wow, LOVE this disc. Wizard just seems to better fit my putting style. I also added a MVP Atom. Has helped my upshot game quite a bit. Wonderful glide helps with just getting it on a line and letting it do work. Looks pretty sick too.

A Leopard, Buzzz, and whatever Putter starting out is hard to argue against.