• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Beginner Player looking to assemble kit - NEED HELP

lukeohio

Hey y'all! My name is Lucas Ohio and I'm really excited to get back into disc golf - I'm probably a beginner, but am fairly accurate and am used to throwing ultimate frisbees. Still need to work on my power (drivers) though...

Within the past few days have been conducting some research and while fun, it's a little bit complicated when it comes to weight, soft vs. supersoft, manufacturer, plastic.. etc. I understand I need atleast a driver, mid range and putter but am curious what people recommend - not just a manufacturer or a make or model but weight in grams, plastic, models, brand, etc... Links would be helpful.

I've heard great things about the Buzzz mid range, but again weight? plastic? I have some other discs that I researched but am curious what y'all think!

Looking to purchase 4+ frisbees and maybe a 6-12 disc golf bag with atleast one beverage holder :) Also, a brewer and lover of beer. Also, a local SF Bay area musician with my third album release titled "Slingshot Kid" this past year which has been getting some Kfog spin - will barter with signed cd and other shwag (beer coasters and most awesome Giraffro sticker) if somebody has a decent kit they're willing to part with!

Really appreciate any help you may have, want to get started on the right foot ;)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lucas Ohio
www.lucasohio.com

You're probably going to hear this a lot in the coming posts, but you probably don't need a driver right off the bat. A good midrange and putter or two will do wonders for your game down the road. However, if you do decide to go with a driver, I recommend getting a lighter weight Champion Leopard. This is a good beginner friendly driver that will allow you to have a disc to throw for that "big shot" but not develop really bad habits that will hurt your game long term. Then, like you said the Buzzz is a GREAT disc. You might like a Buzzz SS better as a beginner. In my opinion, it flies more like the discs you're used to throwing. You might try that in Z plastic as it will be pretty durable and consistent for a long time. Then you'll get ALLLLLL kinds of different opinions on the putter, but I recommend the Aviar. It is a great disc from the beginning and many top pros still use it. You can get it in any plastic that feels good. I had my first DX (base line plastic) Aviar in my bag for 4 years and just recently retired it in favor of a new pair that I bought.

The other thing that I will say, is try different things. Most of us have been through 4-5 putter molds and eventually landed on one that felt good. Same with the mids and eventually drivers. I'm pretty set in my ways now, but I still experiment with it.

The bottom line is do whatever will make you have the most fun. It is a sport yes, but primarily, it's a game. Play. Have fun. As the "founder of disc golf" put it, "Most fun wins!"

Choosing plastics, weights, speeds, and stabilities is largely preference. Try to go to a store for your first 4-5 discs and buy a few that feel good and interest you but stay away from anything fast and/or overstable for your first 4-5 discs. Buy discs that you feel like you can get a really awesome grip on. For a putting+short upshot+200-and-in driving disc I would strongly recommend buying 2 or more very straight flying 175gram discs in soft cheap plastic like a dx beadless aviar p&a or a pro d magnet. A star leopard will be useful after it beats in a little for long very straight shots that don't fade out on you and many other long shots haha. Good luck the learning process is exciting but it can be much pricier than you intend if you don't practice self control and keep it simple.

For a driver I would recommend a 170ish pro leopard. They beat in to be nice under stables flyers. I am personally a roc fan, so I'd recommend a 180 DX roc for the mid. Lastly, a regular old Aviar putt and approach 175 is a great putter. Good mix of glide and stability, and you can buy them pretty much anywhere that sells discs.

For a driver I would recommend a 170ish pro leopard. They beat in to be nice under stables flyers. I am personally a roc fan, so I'd recommend a 180 DX roc for the mid. Lastly, a regular old Aviar putt and approach 175 is a great putter. Good mix of glide and stability, and you can buy them pretty much anywhere that sells discs.

I agree with getting a 170ish Pro Leopard and DX Aviar PnA, but I would suggest either a mid to low 170s Shark, or mid to low 170s Z Buzzz. Fresh max weight DX Rocs can be a bit beefy.

Grab a Z Buzzz and a Soft Wizard (read: stiff) and never look back. :)

throw in a ion/anode to drive with over that soft wiz for just putting.

Slow US driver.

your done.

/thread

I would suggest a star leopard about 170g. Its a great understable fairway that i still don't have the heart to take out of my bag. For putting and midrange i would suggest a Z buzzz or DX Roc, they're extremely popular for a reason, i suggest feeling the rim of each and making your choice from there. Theres a million putters to choose from, and you can't go wrong with any of the millions of styles of aviars. All these discs are staples at any store that sells discs, so finding them shouldnt be too difficult.

Lots of good suggestions above. Pro Leopard (Understable Driver) , Z Buzzz-SS (Neutral Midrange) and Pure or Aviar (Neutral Putter) would be my suggestion. Aviars are easier to find but I do love my Opto Pures for driving/upshots and Zero Medium Pures for putting.

A Star or Champion Leopard will start out stable with significant fade for a new player. A Pro Leopard will beat in quickly.

SS Wizard, Z Buzzz, Star Leopard and Star Teebird are what I've handed people throwing with me for the first time...

Pretty much all you need to know is for now, stay away from long range drivers and super overstable discs. Once you start getting distance over 300' then you can think about looking for drivers over speed 7.

Weight on Mids - 177+ go Max if possible

Throw your putters under 200ft (experiment with different ones until you find one you like) I throw an Aviar, but it is a bit understable, so I had to learn how to throw it when I want that 200+ distance without flipping it.

Throw midrange for basically everything 2-300ft

fairways for over 300ft

When you are consistently hitting 200+ with putters, 275-300 with mids and 325-350 with fairways you are ready to move up in speed.

Doing this will keep you way more consistent, it worked for me and I wish someone told me earlier, I played years trying to throw plastic that I shouldn't have and it jacked up my form.

I would try baseline plastic first (Innova Dx, Discraft Pro D) because it is cheap and easily replaceable. Once you get comfortable with that and you want a more durable disc, then you can move up to the Innova Star/Champion and Discraft ESP/Z lines. They will last much longer but cost more. I would also advise starting with the lighter discs 150-160ish range to get a more straighter flight. Go with discs that are considered "understable" first. Stay away from big rim drivers like the Nuke, you wont get them to go very far (trust me).

Consult a flight chart for some ideas: (www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/media/MSt Flight Guide.pdf‎). Start with discs that are I-Q. Those are the discs that are going to go straightest for you. I would also stay away from anything that is Speed 10 or above until you get better. This chart doesn't have putters in it. I would go with a tried and true disc like the Aviar and see if you like it.

Also, don't get sucked into the idea that older expensive plastic makes you a better player. Buy discs you can replace easily because, well, as a new player you will lose them now and then. Also, buy discs that are brighter colors (yellow, orange, pink) so they contrast with the grass and woods.

I have learned that the only way you will learn if you like a disc is to throw it. You can take others suggestions, but unless you throw it you will never know. Once you start experimenting with different discs and plastics you will get to know what you like best. And of course have fun. In the long run Disc Golf is fairly cost effective.

There's already lots of good advice in this thread, but I might as well be one more data point for you to consider. I am convinced that the gateway magic is the ultimate disc for lower level players, myself included.