• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best brand new player stories

I had a buddy who played baseball in high school and college, the first time he came out I showed him how to throw a thumber. After 4 or 5 tries he was placing anything under 250' inside the circle. He gave some of us good insight into how we should have been throwing a few of those holes. Haha

Actually, having no disc/frisbee experience might be rather helpful. Ultimate and regular frisbees fly so drastically different than our discs that I find it to be harmful to know how to throw those. Throwing a frisbee anything like our discs result in a 50ft turn a burn

I totally agree! I am 44 y/o and have played Frisbee my entire life and along with boxing, football, dodge ball and Volley Ball has been among my favorite recreational past times. Back in Oct. My son and I discovered a course near our house, and I could do the course fairly well...with a frisbee!

Around Dec. we noticed people used different Frisbees :)doh:) than we did. After talking with them we set about ordering a set for Christmas...He wanted Discraft and I took Innova for starter packs.

Our very first time out, he beat me.....he hadn't beat me once with Frisbee and never really played it much outside of the beach growing up. My first throw with a champion Valkyrie went about 30 yards and then did this crazy hook to the left and ended up about 100 yards to the left of where I had aimed it. He then ran off something like 12-15 wins in a row, before I adapted to the new discs and now we are about even. Its kind of like the Marines would rather you never shot a gun before enlisting, so they don't have to unteach you, and then reteach you.

Perhaps everyone is different, but I don't view my Frisbee background as an advantage but the opposite.

350? Was it a downhill hole? I find that hard to believe throwing bh if you've never played dg before, unless he's an ultimate player

Actually a couple feet of elevation gain, and were fairly close to sea level which robs some distance. I personally throw much further almost everywhere else with a gain in elevation. The guy's BH started at 150' and improved over about an hour. He's wildly inconsistent and certainly can't throw that distance 100% of the time, but has huge potential. Doesn't hurt he's 6'4 and very athletic.

There are more than a few of us that play at my company and one of the non-players, who had never shown any real interest in the sport, nor had a history with frisbees, on a whim decided to pick up a few discs to see what this sport was all about. On day one, the typical newb-hyzer was not present at all and he could throw ~230' fairly accurately (BH). The next day, after asking me (and another co-worker) for basic advice on technique he was throwing 300' with accuracy. As of now, he only has played maybe a half-dozen rounds over two months of playing but is flirting with scoring par at the course that borders the parking lot of our building. It's a relatively easy 18-hole course but can get into your head if your not careful (I can score a +6 as easily as I can a -6). The last time we played, he parked a 300', +20' elevation hole that took me about a year of playing to card a two. He is one of the most natural throwers I've ever seen and does not strong-arm. But none of this compares to his plastic addiction.

It only took him about a month to amass a collection of discs that eclipses the total number of discs I've ever had. He had spent around $700 that first month on plastic. Practically every day, he comes into work carrying a couple of new (mostly used) discs for his collection. At least the vast majority of the discs he buys are slower speed discs so I give him a lot of credit there. The few that are high-speed he will throw once and then tell me the next day that he can't throw them and that he shelved them. Today, he finally admitted that he might have too many discs and gave me a big, toothy grin. Most of us on these forums at one time were bit by the DG bug that infected us with the addiction but I think my co-worker has climbed into a hive of DG bees and is still pulling out stingers...

And, by the way, he's two years older than me at 42. A 42 year old kid that absolutely loves candy, especially candy plastic.
:thmbup::thmbup:

My dads first time out had about a 200 ft ace on one of his first holes. My brothers first time playing he parked a 380 ft hole about 20 ft past the basket. He has a baseball background and has played a catch with an ultimate frizbee before.

350? Was it a downhill hole? I find that hard to believe throwing bh if you've never played dg before, unless he's an ultimate player

A buddy of mine threw a round with me. His very first time playing and he was turning a Gold Line River over hard. So, I gave him a Saint. Turned it over perfect and was driving about 350-370 ft by the end of the round. He's just an athletic person and after me teaching him how to use his hips and after a few drives he was cranking them. His putting was terrible though, absolutely atrocious. He even started throwing them vertically underhand. He actually started to have a little bit of success with it too.

My brother who rarely plays can get them out to about 350' to. He plays all forehand. He uses the same form he uses for tennis as far as being able to get that snap from his wrist.

I have two buddies that have probably played less than twenty rounds total; between the two of them; that hit an ace during a round I played with them. Neither hole was exceptionally long; probably 225ish; but I aced neither of those holes and neither of those holes exist today; so they are on a small list of aces for those holes.

A buddy of mine threw a round with me. His very first time playing and he was turning a Gold Line River over hard. So, I gave him a Saint. Turned it over perfect and was driving about 350-370 ft by the end of the round. He's just an athletic person and after me teaching him how to use his hips and after a few drives he was cranking them. His putting was terrible though, absolutely atrocious. He even started throwing them vertically underhand. He actually started to have a little bit of success with it too.

My brother who rarely plays can get them out to about 350' to. He plays all forehand. He uses the same form he uses for tennis as far as being able to get that snap from his wrist.

The fh is more believable to me. That's incredible if you can get a bh near 400 your first time playing

The fh is more believable to me. That's incredible if you can get a bh near 400 your first time playing

I think a lot of it depends on who you play with your first time. If you take someone who has an athletic background and pair them up with someone who understands and can teach them some basic technique during the round I think you would be surprised how well they can do.

When I started, I played maybe 4-5 times with some friends of mine who (including me) were all newbs with no idea what we were doing. I could throw maybe 225-250 bombing my sweet Groove super hyzer style.

Then I met a guy who actually had a clue and I was hitting 350 pretty consistently by the end of the round using a more appropriate disc (either an Orc or Wraith if I remember right) and actually using a minimal x-step and snapping my hips.

I've seen Hammer throw and I don't doubt his claim. His throw just looks very effortless and natural and he definitely fits the tall athletic build stereotype for picking up things easily.

Best I've seen was while visiting Top of the Hill disc golf in NH. While still warming up pre-round, a huge ruckus came from the first hole. Apparently the supergroup that was on it had witnessed an ace. Turned out, it was the guy who was coming out for the first time, and it was his first time EVER throwing a disc. Imagine that? One throw under his belt and he's already got an ace to his name. A more personal story would have to be of my buddy (who we call Tank) who came out with us in the rain the other day. He'd never played before, but as it was raining we planned to get a little tipsy on the course and he was down for that. We ended up out there for over 3 hours and he was so pumped about it all I gave him a PA1 to hold on to after the round. Not only is he quite vocal about the sport now, I just saw a FB post of his saying he would be on the course on his own today. In the rain. Sounds like someone caught the bug!:thmbup:

I'm on my brothers account right now, and I have a friend who has played about 2 months and can throw about 250 feet already he's 17 I'm 16 but his accuracy isn't very good.

I just loved when I took my friend out once, he threw his beast on a 40 ft hyzer and just said "Wow, that disc must be really overstable" lololololol

Buddy of mine just had a ace run today and it chained out on him. He has been playing less than a month. High fives all around still. Great shot!! He was hooked on DG, now he really is. He said something about playing tomorrow in the rain.....

Last summer, after playing for about 5 months, my son and I were playing a round. Two guys caught up to us on hole 3 so we let them play through. As they are leaving the tee pad they start asking me what kind of discs are good for beginners. I tell them that I improved a ton discing down and started using a DX VALK and DX LEOPARD. I still had them in my bag but they were way too flippy for me so we gave them to them. This was their first time ever on a DG course, they had gone to PIAS to buy a ball golf putter and saw "Frisbees" and wanted to give it a try. FAST FORWARD about a year. I go out this morning to play a round and there is this guy on the first tee pad. Guess who? YUP.....played 9 with him and he made me look like a 2 year old. Was pretty cool

What is the best (or realistically what is the most potential) you have seen in anyone's first time on the course?

I think some people have that gift of natural athleticism that allows them to play any sport more fluidly than others who have to work at it. You know....those people who just seem naturally at home with a baseball glove, a basketball, a golf club, or a disc. They seem to be more there than others when they're playing the sport.

I'm not a couch-potato by any means, but I don't have that gift. I'm one of those guys who could get good with a lot of practice, but the natural swing/throw/shot was not bestowed upon me. I was the kid who always viewed hands, feet, arms and legs as spies and potential traitors -- the guy with no confidence that my appendages would do what I wanted them to do.

I played softball with a church league last summer with a guy who's a Wrightsville Beach cop. Dude's just built like an athlete. He's completely comfortable with his capabilities and his throws and swings are effortless. A real slugger. Anyways, after the season we played Ultimate and eventually got him on the disc golf course. He was a beast. No hints, no training, just stepped up to the box and crushed his drive. His snap was making my max-weight Champ Boss turn over.....it was disgusting.

Point is: Some people have it, some people don't. I'm just thankful I have fun.