• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best course in each state

Best course in Iowa is probably Pickard. Ewing is quite nice too, but Pickard takes the cake.

I also haven't played a ton in MO, but Waterworks in KC is an amazing course as well!

I am curious what the people in Texas think. I haven't really played outside the central texas area but so far my favorite in the state is Live Oak Gold in Ingleside Texas(not live oak in San Antonio). This course is a hidden gem, and requires everything you got. I take 2-3 trips to the coast every year and now make a point to spend at least a day playing Live Oak Gold and Live Oak Red(pretty easy course, but provides a nice warmup before taking on Gold).

Metcenter in Austin is making its way up. The course is really starting to flex it's muscles now that they it has been cleaned up a little. Sucks it is on a flood plain, really not playable with poor weather. I have been stopping there almost every sunday afternoon on my way out of town. I enjoy it a lot more than Cirlce C at the moment. Best part of the course is the sign when you drive in. It goes something like this "Metcenter is for tenant use only. Trespassers will be Violated." Found it pretty hilarious, considering it is a business center, and the sign is made to look all official and shit.

Best Courses I've played..

KS - Oak Park : Full 18, 2 pads for each hole, mostly flat lots of trees, water and doglegs.
Herman Hill : Full 18, 2 pin positions and pad positions. Superb course if you ask me, blind shots, up shots, down shots, water and dog legs. Has a bit of everything!

If you're ever in Southeastern/South-Central Kansas these two courses should not dissapoint!

Thatdirtykid said:
Leadville is my favorite permanent CO course. I have yet to play connifer, which from what I have been hearing is most the denver guys new favorite. I also have not been to the colorado springs area courses yet, I have spent too much time in NOCO.

Played Conifer today for the first time. Great course, but not as good as leadville. The steamboat course was great, but I hear they moved it down the mountain.

Mixed Bag Madness said:
I live in Oregon so of course it's a no brainer. Milo Mciver 1st with Whistlers Bend a close second. 8) MOB47 may argue this though since he's from southern Oregon. :D

In Oregon, there is no question in my mind: Horning's Hideout (the "Gold" course) is better than either of those courses (I played all of them again just a couple weeks back)...and there are 2 other great courses there as well.

Milo McIver is wide open, poorly maintained, hard to follow, has locals constantly playing alternate course layouts (with crossing fairways, throwing down on other groups, etc.), and kinda boring if it weren't for the nice setting. Only interesting thing there is the longer distances (long drives, long approaches, and long putts galore). But then again, Oregon is full of nice settings, and I would judge Whistler's Bend to be the best in that category. Only problem with Whistler's Bend is that it is not very challenging...I scored 7 birdies my first round, and I'm usually playing just under par on a typical pro level course.

I've played just about every course in Oregon now, except Dexter...that's next on my list.

I will 3rd Hawk Hollow for the best course in Virginia, but being private, travelers might have problems playing it on short notice. As far as public courses, Bryan Park in Richmond is tops for fun, New Quarter (Williamsburg) is the best maintained. Falling Creek in Bedford gets good reviews for fun with some longer holes. If you like wooded courses, don't miss Elk Creek in Appomattox. If anybody is headed this way, PM me and we can play.
KP

Vermont-I would have to say either black falls in montgomery center 2 sets of tees and 2 sets of pins all 4 nicely different courses. Plus there is a new course 1/2 mile down the road called cherry hill which is definitly a pro rated course man it's tough

Or sugar bush both the peak course and the base course fantastic day of golf right there

- Justin

NoMoreTinCup said:
I will 3rd Hawk Hollow for the best course in Virginia, but being private, travelers might have problems playing it on short notice. As far as public courses, Bryan Park in Richmond is tops for fun, New Quarter (Williamsburg) is the best maintained. Falling Creek in Bedford gets good reviews for fun with some longer holes. If you like wooded courses, don't miss Elk Creek in Appomattox. If anybody is headed this way, PM me and we can play.
KP

Glad to hear someone else likes Bryan Park. I've heard that the local scene is at odds with the community (something like DG isn't welcome in the park).

i will 2nd waterworks for Missouri, but its very near kansas too.

if you travel to other parts of the state, i'd recommend albert oakland back course, in Columbia (ONLY if you can find a local to play with). the redesign of the course has made it very confusing. they may have fixed the tee sign and directional issues now, i don't know. also, lots of good courses in St. Louis. Sioux Passage, Endicott, and JB are all good ones. there are a couple of good ones in Vichy, MO too, but you will probably want to contact a local for those as well. difficult to navigate.

West Michigan- Flip City.

9f8ffa9c_m.jpg

I recently played BlueGill DGC in Wayland, it's a private course owned by Joe Gill and his family. Every type of shot is covered. Very challenging and fun. Wish I could play it all the time.

f1901efa_m.jpg

795ca90d_m.jpg

Just my opinion...

In Missouri - Jefferson Barracks - St. Louis
In Kentucky - Madisonville
In Indiana - Mesker Park - Evansville
In Tennessee - Crockett Park

The pin is located behind a second section of water. But it's true, it's easily defeated with a hyzer into the hill on the left or a jls (for me) right at it. The next hole on the course is the toughest of the water holes. It's about 290ish, pond on the left side and the pin is located on a perpendicular landmass that is about 35' deep with another pond behind it. It's fun.

Massachusetts:

Maple Hill, home of the Vibram Open.
Pyramids, home of Marshall Street Disc Golf.
Borderland State Park.

^ Those are the top 3.

Flyboy at Whitesburg in Georgia (private, gotta contact to play)

I find that everyone's opinion of "best" varies. I prefer longer and less forgiving courses that kick my ass when I play them. So with that in mind, here are my top courses in Illinois (separated by halves because the state is damn long).

Down south: Foundation Park in Centralia, IL short tees to long pins (the 18-hole, not the 9)
North: McNaughton Park in Pekin, IL long tees