• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best forehand disc?

bbails

Par Member
For long drives and midrange? Please recommend.

thank you!

(my buddy who is asking, gets a ton of wrist snap and currently throws a monster.)

I have a friend who had a motorcycle accident and now has limited mobility, so he can only throw forehand, and he throws a boss and his xCal really well. Personally I like to have a bigger lip, and primarily throw my Wraith and Destroyer forehand, but I'm primarily BH

I'm pretty sure any disc can be a good forehand disc. If you're wondering what I would say, it would be to beat a boss or a destroyer or xcal in to the point of mild flippyness, then all sorts of lines open up. My personal favorite is the boss.

Beat in star Boss is my favorite FH driver.

11X champ Firebird to shape shots.

Star Gator for midrange.

Vibram VP if I need to forehand a putter.

I'm finding out that it depends on your ability, arm speed, and snap.

Right now, a 166 Pro Destroyer is the most consistent RHFH disc in my bag. A 164 ESP Nuke that I picked up yesterday is also looking very promising. However, a 173 ESP FLX Avenger, which is quite overstable, is only a meat hook for me.

So, for me, mid-160s slightly overstable discs are what works for me. YMMV.

I throw TeeBirds, Strikers, and PDs (there's distance left in them all) with Comets, Wasps, and Drones.
I used to throw Nukes, Forces, Surges, Wraiths, and Flicks with Drones and the occasional Wasp.

Sometimes I throw a little shorter than my friends, but I'm in the fairway putting 9/10 with a clear line.

Seasoned Starlight Boss is my primary FH, good to see the love from other FH throwers :hfive:
It goes really straight after you beat down the parting line a bit.

Xcal for upwind, and seasoned Star Destroyer ( still wide rimmed, but better glide than the other two ) for downwind, completes my fav FH trio.

Z Flick when my form gets really lazy. :D

Mids, I dont like large diameter discs like Rocs and Buzzz's, they dont sit on my index finger well, so I use an Eagle or a Gazelle with a peace sign grip for shorter shots.

The feel of the disc is very important to me when choosing a forehand disc. The rim has to be balanced in the right way for it to feel right in my hand. I can't stand the starfire or avenger that I have, and the Buzzz doesn't fit either like captainjack mentioned.

In general people seem to like overstable discs for forehand drives - I've used a Wraith, Force, Boss.
Mids I've thrown an Eagle a lot, but I just got a gateway Warrior that has shown a lot of promise - like my buzzz but fades more.
And I can sidearm my Wizards well, but not my Voodoo for reasons unknowable to me.

I throw almost solely backhand, but when I do need to toss forehand on certain holes, I use a Champion Valkryie 150g. I really like this disc -- I don't have the strong arm when it comes to forehand, so I need something light (150-165 range). My Valkryie gives great distance and flies fairly straight with minimal fade....and, for me, getting good D with that disc doesn't require a trip to the chiropractor afterwards! :D

If he needs something with a little more speed, the Star Katana isn't bad -- I threw one of these for a while in a 166g weight....I got good distance, but it was a little too overstable for me.

Garret

I like the starfire, got a pro that goes super straight. recently got one in star and even though different molds(?) it goes just the same. Get alittle more distance out of the pro.