• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best glow discs?

Jatranel

Who make the best glow discs? What is the best glow plastic? What glows the longest and brightest? Most durable and best grip? And while we are talking glow, what is best to charge the glow? Thank you.

Side note: I recently purchased a glow valkyrie and found a glo buzzz and the discraft plastic seems to glow much brighter but I've only held them under a regular light in the bathroom for a min and turned the lights off to compare them. I haven't had a chance to play a night round yet to really see how they work.

I was mulling over glow vs led issue last autumn as the Finnish summer started ending and evenings were getting darker. Ultimately went with led-chips that tape on the bottom of the disc, best of course on clear-ish plastic discs like in Champion/VIP, the light shows from quite a ways.

Yes, I know, not helpful on the actual question in hand, just another method to consider.

IMO MVP has the brightest and longest lasting glow discs available. I also have an old glow Wizard that isn't the brightest but the glow lasts a really long time. Innova glow is terrible, Discraft not much better. Innova glow discs literally go completely dark in less than 1 minute.

First, get the most powerful UV light you can get. Your discs will glow much brighter, longer.

Glow duct tape is the best, it glows the brightest and longest on a charge and doesn't fall off like led's can.

For glow plastic, the denser DX/Pro stuff charges slower, loses its initial brightness right away, but holds a "medium" glow the longest. If you don't have a lot of light pollution, this is a good option. Of the denser options, MVP's Eclipse probably holds the glow longest, but the small size isn't the most helpful. If you also use an led it works as a nice backup.

Moonshine, Champion, and Z glow brighter, but for shorter periods. This usually doesn't bother me because they still last long enough for one hole before I charge them up again with my UV flashlight at the next teebox. Depending on their opaqueness, you can also use an led pretty effectively on these.

Of these, I use mostly the moonshine/z type and put a ring of glow duct tape on the edge similar to MVP eclipse. It gives me a very bright area where the tape is, and a larger surface area of duller glow in case most of the tape is obscured by something.

Vibram glow is pretty bad azz

Absolutley. It glows the brightest and the longest. Must have something to do with the rubber.

The new colored glow stuff from Innova and Discraft actually glows better than you would think, and for much longer than Champ/Z glow, but also a little duller. What I always did is use an LED on a glow disc. Charge the glow disc up every few holes. That and the LED make it very easy to find.

Vibram glow is definitely the best I've seen... Gateway superglow is pretty awesome too.
Found a UV flashlight that runs a single 5w Cree UV led off of an 18650 sized rechargeable li-ion battery w/ two 3000mah batteries and charger for under ten bucks on ebay. Works so well I got a 2nd one. It will max out the glow of the whole disc in like 3 seconds. Also great for locating dayglow discs in the dark.

It's the ultrafire 502-b I think, if you search ultrafire uv flashlight it should come up

I have used Innova and Gateway glow discs before. Gateway superglow was better, but still wasn't amazing. I recommend the LED or glow tape route.

Vibram beats all hands down. Brighter and lasts the longest. My old '80's Lightning glows are brighter and still last longer than any of the new glows.

Vibram, hands down, wins this battle for me. Nothing has even come close to being as bright for as long.

Vibram, hands down, wins this battle for me. Nothing has even come close to being as bright for as long.

This. I played a lot of glow last fall and everyone was envious of my vibram and how long it held it's charge. Where others were charging every throw I'd be content with every 3 rd hole or longer.

If I were to order them it would be:

Vibram>>>>>>>>>it really is this much better>>>>>>>gateway>>>anything else

For the "anything else" it really is hit or miss on each company and run. I've seen both good and bad for each company but they are so far behind gateway and vibram or doesn't really matter.

Vibram Glow takes the cake. Only thing that comes close is the Glowfly.

Both will take a charge from a UV light and glow great for 3-4 holes before you need to charge em again. Everything else needs a charge at every throw.

I've not seen the Vibram glow, but I agree that the Innova color glow stuff is pretty impressive, as well as MVP's Eclipse discs. I'd put the Gateway stuff behind them both, but not by a lot. The old Superglow was much better than the newer stuff I've seen from them.

DamtheMan's post nailed it though... Get some good quality clear duct tape and go with LED. Less hassle and much better results.

Man, good question. Have wondered the same myself.

Last year I bought the the little led lights. The ones with a battery the size of watch battery that are hooked to a tiny glow light. Their suppose to weigh like 3oz.

Well, when you tape these to top of a clear disc. A good clear mailing tape with a clean, warm disc top they adhere very well.

From what I gather this is so much brighter than any glow plastic it makes me wonder why it is not standard practice.

As a veteran player the whole glow/nightlife thing is new to me. People who do the glow tourneys and stuff would obviously have figured out the best way. Right?

Last edited:
Vibram is the best! I always have people that are amazed at how long it will hold a charge. The downside is that Vibram only makes the glow rubber once a year so it is hard to find.

If you can't get your hands on the Glow Vibram, I would just recommend the Glow Ducktape. It works much better than the glow plastic. You can add it to your favorite disc for the glow round and then remove it afterwards. It is a very cheap solution for a glow round. I haven't noticed in difference in fight characteristics when the tape is applied to the discs.

Apologies in advance should this run long, but I have been playing in a weekly Glow league for the past couple of years in the hot summer nights and freezing cold Michigan winters so I have a few opinions to share.

First I would say if you are going to play a lot of Glow and possibly build yourself a Glow bag then go with discs that line up with your daytime set-up. I would advise against throwing Vibram strictly because they glow the brightest. However if you already throw Vibram then by all means go that route. I found it was easier to turn non-glow discs in to usable glow discs then it was to throw different discs at night then I did during the day.

Next, take into account when you are going to play Glow. When it gets below freezing the Glow discs don't hold a charge very well and their off-white color blends into the snow very easily. Another time to be careful when using glow discs is during a full moon as the ambient light can make them harder to identify. In these couple of cases you might be better off with the LED lights taped to the underside of the disc.

Big fan of the Ultrafire UV LED Light somebody mentioned already. Find them pretty cheap on eBay and other sites for a UV Light, two rechargeable batters and a charger. I believe I paid $15.00 shipped and have had zero issues outside of fellow league members bumming it off me from time to time. And the Glow Duct tape is another excellent suggestion if you like non-glow solid plastics like Star, DX, Elite X, Pro D, Gold Line, etc...

The LED lights work great on Champion, Z, Opto, etc.. plastics. Put some packing tape on them and stick them to the bottom and they light up really well. An added bonus is some fluorescent colors like Orange and Green will show up nice when you shine the UV black light on them. Easy to spot from 20-40 feet away with the Ultrafire light should the LED come unattached from a tree smash (rare with good tape).

I love playing Glow golf and there are plenty of options to help you assemble your bag. Glow discs, LEDs, Glow Duct Tape and UV LED Flashlights. Experiment a little bit and find which works the best for you. Good luck!

Vibram is easily the best. Hands down. If you don't throw the regular rubber, do it, and then stock up on the glows. They will literally glow all night long. I don't even charge them fully because they can mess with your night vision on very dark nights.

The thing that I HATE HATE HATE HATE about glow rounds is the special cases with the 51 LED UV lights blinding the hell out of everybody at the tee box. It takes all of two seconds to bring any glow stuff to full charge. Don't be a dingus and stand there for 4 minutes trying to charge your disc to glow brighter.

Thinks for the glow gurus chiming in.

A few things to pick at/point out.

-I'm not changing my line up for glow play (how and the hell is that suppose to improve my game?). It wouldn't make sense to get a vibram disc if I don't throw vibram discs. Glad that one member saw this as an obvious no brainer.

-Why are we not taping the L.E.D. light on the top. It is so much brighter. Haven't seen much of difference aerodynamically top or bottom.

-What are the UV light things. And how do you flash light on your disc without being blind?

Thanks for the glow pros on good advice. This should be about improving the chance of finding your disc at night, choosing the right disc within your line up and what techniques/tools help make things brighter. Telling someone to throw vibram because their the brightest doesn't help non vibram throwers, which are the majority.

Last edited: