• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best golf cities?

steven1

Par Member
a few of us travel once a year for a discgolf trip. We have hit austin tx, charlotte nc, and just recently, Kansas City, which i thought had the best courses yet. What cities should we add to the list? we need about 5-7 top-notch courses within 45 min or so of the city. Thinking about a trip in late feb. (florida or texas?), and one in late sept. (minneapolis, des moine, back to KC?). any ideas?
thanks

Dallas could be a good selection for the winter trip. lots of top notch courses.

curt said:
Dallas could be a good selection for the winter trip. lots of top notch courses.

I agree the Dallas/Ft. Worth area has the highest quality golf in Texas hands down. If you make a trip that you wouldnt be disappointed. Especially Lester Lorch (2 courses, Beaver and Coyote) in Cedar Hill, Harry Meyers in Rockwall, Lake Lewisville, Towne Lake, Turner Park and many more.

I've never actually played there, but Mobile, AL seems to be a pretty popular place for disc golf too. It could be worth checking out.

Portland, OR. Milo, Pier, Horning's Hideout (3 courses) and probably more that I don't know about.

The Baltimore area ain't bad either especially if your willing to drive a little farther (1.5 hrs or so) to hit some of the northern VA and PA courses.

Des Moines,IA
Pittsburgh, PA
Lehigh Valley PA(Allentown) when Blue Mtn is open April - Oct.

since you have already hit Charlotte you could try the other big DG area in NC...the Triangle. the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area has a ton of courses and many of them are quite good. Courses of note are: UNC DGC, Cedar Hills, Zebulon, Middle Creek, Buckhorn, Leigh Farm. Late February in NC is usually pretty decent.

/shameless hometown plug

Dallas is definitely worth checking out, but you'll be doing a lot of driving to get to all the really sweet courses down there. On top of fighting traffic, which can be horrid, you'd be hard pressed to get to some of the best courses in the time frame you mentioned even from a central location. Regardless, my advice if you disc Dallas/Ft. Worth is to stay somewhere between the two.

I've heard great things about Minneapolis, but have yet to get up there for dg. It's on my list though.

I currently live in Des Moines, and we definitely have some really nice courses. Off the top of my head there are at least 5 top notch courses you should play if you come here: Walnut Ridge, Ewing, Grandview, Big Creek, and Pickard. If you end up coming to DM send me a PM and I'd join you all for a round or two.

If you make it to Iowa heading to the Quad Cities is worth it as well. We have a ton of courses here within close proximity and quite a
few of them are top notch. I'd personally recommend: West Lake, Camden 1 & 2, Middle and Eastern as the top 5 but that isn't to say
the other courses aren't nice too. All of the ones mentioned are within 30 min of my apt and Camden is across the river on opposite
ends of the Quad Cities from me. Like someone else mentioned feel free to msg if you make it this direction and I'd be happy to get
some people together to show you around the courses, new people always welcome here.

Southern California, using Orange county as a base, has a lot of great courses near by.

La Mirada
Huntington Beach
Chavez Ridge
Sylmar
Oak Grove
Prado Regional
El Dorado

Farther North:
Lake Casitas

Farther South:
Morely Field

Dallas / ft Worth definitely has a lot of good courses, but like Plow said, the best ones are on the outskirts of town. Also, there will be 2 new courses opening up about 1.5 hrs east of here that Houck said are his best so far...no telling how true that is until they open, but might be worth a trip if you're in the north texas area.

RustyP said:
Dallas / ft Worth definitely has a lot of good courses, but like Plow said, the best ones are on the outskirts of town. Also, there will be 2 new courses opening up about 1.5 hrs east of here that Houck said are his best so far...no telling how true that is until they open, but might be worth a trip if you're in the north texas area.

I spoke with Houck about these courses and he said they will be a lot like the ones he designed in San Saba, Tx years ago. I never played those but heard that were very nice. Strawberry fields or something like that.

steezo said:
RustyP said:

I spoke with Houck about these courses and he said they will be a lot like the ones he designed in San Saba, Tx years ago. I never played those but heard that were very nice. Strawberry fields or something like that.

what cities are we talking about here?

Mr. Plow said:
I've heard great things about Minneapolis, but have yet to get up there for dg. It's on my list though.

You heard right. There are courses everywhere. Bryant Lake, Elm Creek, Hyland SSA, Blue Ribbon Pines, Kaposia, Cp Adams, Oakwood, Basset Creek, Crown College and The Valley dgc are all amazing courses in there own right. There are many more great courses through out the state. Giants Ridge which is about 5 hours from the Twin Cities and close to the North Shore of Lake Superior is on a ski hill and is amazing. St Cloud which is 60-90 minutes north west of the metro has its own bustling disc golf community. There are also great courses just across the border in Wisconsin. If you get a chance to check out the Twin Cities disc golf scene you need to do so. Don't forget to visit Gotta Go Gotta Throw and check out all the gear and plastic, you will probably end up running into Blake.

Try mass. Especially worchester. Pyramids, maple hill, and newton hill all within 15 minutes. Plus many more in the area.

Central Coast California.

Monterey:
Ryan Ranch(home course)
CSUMB Cypress/Oaks
Pinto Lake(north of Monterey)

Santa Cruz:
Del Laveaga(favorite)
Aptos High School

San Francisco:
Golden Gate Park

There may be better individual courses or a better cluster of good courses but you cannot deny the scenic beauty of the area on and off the course.

Portland Oregon has now has multiple great courses in Milo, stubb stewart, hornings, pier, dabney, rooster rock, champoeg (shampooee), and the two courses that feldberg is currntly designing. Stumptown is a great place to toss, and should be experienced by everyone at least once in their lives.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I live in Fort Worth (the better half of DFW area, TX) and I think we are only rivaled by CA And FL cities. Within an hour I have a selection of 10 courses, 4 of which are really nice. My home course is starting to get real crowded though, Z boas.

But what really sucks is I am moving and have just gotten back into the sport and realized how much variety we have here. Bout to go start a Houston thread to see if there are any good courses or dudes to play with, I have an addiction to feed.

Latest posts