• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best plastic for Texas heat?

DStar

I'm very new to the sport and am trying out different plastics. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the heat tends to make discs understable. That being said it seems like champ/z/opto/lucid plastics would be my best bet. I really like the feel of my ion proton putter but it gets sweaty almost immediately when I go outside. I have a roc and buzzz in base plastic and they get kind of gummy as well (not too bad, they are brand new). Should I throw my base plastic now in the summer and throw champish plastic in the winter or vise versa?

Last edited:
I have thrown Innova DX, Pro, Star, G-Star, Champ and Discraft Elite X, Elite Z, Cryztal FLX and Ti in the Texas heat and never noticed a down side to any of them. My G-Star Teebird languishing in the sunshine was quite soft when I approached it after my tee shot, but I wasn't throwing it on my approach so it wasn't an issue.

I think most of our northern brethren throw DX in winter for better grip and to keep from shattering their priceless CE, but I throw the same discs regardless of temperature.

I have similar issues here in GA, Star/G* type plastics tend to get almost sticky and Pro/DX can get floppy.

The one issue I have with the translucent plastics if the land on top of grass or anything with moisture it will create a greenhouse affect and get a ton of condensation on the flight plate.

I like those and actually the BT base plastic and the stiffer Gateway base plastics don't get that floppy either.

For me its Premium plastic in the summer, Base or FLX Glow plastic in the winter.
But we don't have Texas type heat here.

Just don't keep your discs in the car all day and the heat shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have a soft proton ion that flies just fine in the heat here. I let my friend borrow it and he always leaves his discs in his car. Now it has a puddle top, but it still flies the same.

Austin here, you don't need any particular plastics for Texas. Dark plastic might get warm and soften up but it doesn't affect flight at all, that's a new one to me.

My bag is currently all MVP but in the past it's been Innova w/Gateway baselines. No issues.

And if your discs ever get warped from storage, just lay them out in the sun and let them warm up and cool overnight. They'll go right back to shape. Done it many many times.

An employee at Dynamic Discs told me he noticed that base plastic is much more popular in Texas than in more Northern States. My bag is almost all DX, but that is because I need stuff to break in fast and hopefully not be too overstable. The main thing I think players in Texas do differently than other places might be focusing their bag on wind play. For example, I think the Rhyno putter, which is better for wind than the KC Pro Aviar, is extremely popular here, but players form other areas are more likely to go with the KC Pro Aviar.

I would agree that in certain areas the OS discs do get a lot more play. I have a very OS heavy bag, but that is not the norm here the GA. Really we usually don't have too much wind, you usually just need some discs that hold up to heat well, and some that take humidity/ water well.

My only problem I've seen is that some of the slicker plastic ( Lat 64 GL) gets even more slick when that Texas heat and humidity combine. Never have had any plastics behave abnormally with the heat. They play the same in cold and hot, although the heat does get Star and Champ plastic nice and gummy(er)....

Latest posts