• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-Season Bag Revamp. Feedback welcomed.

Bugcatcher33

Bogey Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 2 years; 10+ years of casual ultimate.
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH, some OH
Golf Distance BH:
putters: 275-310
Mids: 300-325
Fairways: 325-375
Drivers: 375-425

(Forehand tops out around 350-375)

Optional:
6'1"
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps: Siatica/lower back disc issues. (flares up with overhand throws. Regular throwing motion is just fine)
Other sport proficiencies?: ultimate, martial arts

Additional Information: This was my first season really diving into the fine details of disc golf (i.e. really learning about disc flight, all the technical details of proper throwing techniques, plastics and the companies that manufacture them) i started playing league this year 'cause I moved right next to a course, and it turns out I'm not terrible at this game (currently holding the 3 Tag out of 40+ and I usually finish in that range) and I want to start competing next year. And I'm really looking to take the next step.
The issue I'm having with my bag is: I. Love ALL discs. I want to throw everything. So much so that discs tend to not get broken in, ever... So these last few weeks I've been really working hard on figuring out what I REALLY like and what I REALLY need and focus on 'seasoning' those molds. I'm bagging a bunch of multiples in molds to try and see how they'll beat up comparatively.
My high speed driver lineup is in constant Flux. And I think this is where a lot of my overlap happens.

Short term goals- complete overhaul of my backhand form, I want to break 450 by the end of the year. And I would like to have a seasoned bag that I'm confident in to start next season to begin competing.

Bag:

Drivers:
(High speed drivers are the most fluid part of my bag) :

Royal Rive ×2 175g (1 pretty beat up, gets subtle turn at high speed, and 1 beef cake)

Halo Wraith 2× (one GG 175g nice and beat up- gets slight turn at high speed, and 1 stock stamp 171g that I'm trying to season currently pretty beefy)

Royal Grace 2X: 173g suuuuper beat up, definitely my flippiest disc, still has a touch of stability at the end), 171g slightly newer, still quite flippy.

1 hades- this disc is barely even in my bag. I throw it for 1 hole on the local course to shape a big S curve.... it's only in because i aced with it on that one hole and was my first +400 disc.

3x PDs, 175- 1 domey S-Line (new, fairly stable. BH), 1 Flat Color glow C-Line (new, also fairly stable FH) and 1 Domey C-line (straight and awesome). just added these to the bag...I found an old super beat up C line in a used bin a few weeks ago.. and it's all I want to throw anymore. This mold is probably the corner stone of my bag currently and the only mold that will be in my bag 100% moving forward.

1x Halo Savant 170g. Testing alongside the PD. (Another used bin score. Nice flip to flat)

----

2x Fx-2s. 1 - 400 plastic 174g, and 1- 400g plastic 171. Fell in love with how these feel in the hand. Both pretty new, and suuuper OS, they bumped the sexton firebird from my bag. Curious to see how they hold up. (I have a 500 and 750 on the shelf. But love the grip of the 400 plastics)

1x glow Marwede Firebird (175) ... couldn't bring myself to completely remove the Firebird from my bag.. so it's still in there with the fx2s

2x teebird3 (175g)- 1 halo- nice and stable, 1 color glow, really straight. Nice point and shoot discs. I used to reach for these A LOT.. but less since I added the PD.

1x Opto explorer (176)- basically the same as my color glow Teebird3, but with a lot more glide and a bit flippier. Was previously bagging an opto-x explorer to compliment this before the teebirds took over.

1× Neo Essence (175g) hyzer flip, shot shaping, roller shenanigans disc. Back and forth between this disc and an MVP Signal... essence felt more versatile.

1x Tilt. ...... ..... Cause it's fun.

Mids: (my mid game is weak. I generally jump from putters to fairways)

1x Neo Origin (170g). One of my most thrown mids. This disc got me throwing mids again.

1× C line MD3 (177g)- was a big emac truth thrower for a bit, but like the stiffness of the new C line plastic. Makes me more confident to flick it now and then.

1x Big Z Malta (175g)... big flex spot in my bag. Not sold on this disc. But like it better than the Method I had here previously... might just add an infinite MF chariot? Idk. Let me know what your favorite overstable mid is.

1x Lucid Justice. (180g) you gotta love the justice. Could just as easily be swapped with 1 of the mutants I have... but it felt too boujee having all that discmania plastic 🤣

Putters:
2x ev 7 Penrose- 1 firm and 1 medium (for t shots and putting when it's colder... or sometimes I just need to put my other putter on timeout. )

2x R-pro Pigs. 1 stiff, new one and one beat to death and gummy. Probably my most used disc. Basically every approach and a lot of T shots., forehand and backhand. ,sSomeone was telling me to switch to a rhino- cause it's available in more plastics and very similar? But haven't actually ever seen or felt one in person... so. Let me know what your thoughts are.

1x Berg. K1 soft. Utility. If I'm deathly afraid of going long, and need something to sit.

That's my bag as things stand right now. It's a lot of discs... but I'm trying to beat up those doups 😅 Let me know what you think. Very open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Thanks!

Man. That's a lot of drivers.

That it is. I mostly throw the 9/10s, namely the FX2 and PD depending on hole shape. Then the Grace for big, full flex shots... but those are a touch squirrly anymore. Hoping The wraiths beat up to fill that max distance slot, but currently are just glidier, dumpier PDs in the halo plastic. And the Rives I probably throw the least. They're just a great forehand disc/wind disc. (Got my first eagle with a Rive, so there's sentimental attachment 😅)

Like I said. Open to suggestions.

If you're wanting to limit overlap I would argue the explorer could be first to go. You could probably get by with just one Fx2 also. And maybe pick which mold you prefer between the rives and the wraiths since they seem to be filling the same role

Absolutely! Thanks for the feedback. I've been questioning the necessity of the Teebirds in general since I've been gravitating towards the PD and just powering down, for those shots that I would throw the Teebird/explorer on, and just powering up on my MD3 for anything where I didn't want to go long.

Yeah. I'd agree to go either Wraith or Rive. Then maybe trim one out of Grace/Grace/Hades. And drop the Savant when you get tired of playing with it.

Also agree on the Explorer/FX2 comment. Though you could keep the Explorer, beat up the FX2, and drop the Teebirds.

That has about 6 discs out of your bag. Personally, I like more of a cycle of putters, so I'd add a couple there.

Oh, and I'd drop all the mids and add 4 or 5 Rocs of various wear. :D

Yeah. I'd agree to go either Wraith or Rive. Then maybe trim one out of Grace/Grace/Hades. And drop the Savant when you get tired of playing with it.

Also agree on the Explorer/FX2 comment. Though you could keep the Explorer, beat up the FX2, and drop the Teebirds.

That has about 6 discs out of your bag. Personally, I like more of a cycle of putters, so I'd add a couple there.

Yea, I think the Teebirds are coming out, between FX2s beating up and PDs I think I've got that shot covered. The Explorer fills a niche shot as something lofty and slightly understable. so I'll leave it in for now.
The savant is coming out. I'm guessing the domey S-PD will work into that slot, if I ever need it.

I'll just have to test the Rive vs Wraith more. My form, the way it is now, I tend to get more out of the Wraith. Availability and plastic variance make the Wraith a little more alluring to me in theory. Or just scrap it all, meet in the middle and throw this stack of Destroyers, DD3s and Emperors I've got sitting around. :D I'll just cut all max drivers until I get my form dialed.

Part of this bag exercise for me is an attempt to find more bag space for throwing putters and really start that cycling process. So for sure going to work some more in.

as for the Rocs (in reference to your other reply)... I couldn't do it lol. I love my Origins too much. I have a blast flipping that disc around in the woods. And I just can't get over the hand feel of the Rocs.. I'm just not a fan. The Malta/method are in that same vein.. and I have a hard time with those as well.

Thank you for your feedback though. Really do appreciate it. Talking this through is insanely helpful.

Bag:

Drivers:
(High speed drivers are the most fluid part of my bag) :

Royal Rive ×2 175g (1 pretty beat up, gets subtle turn at high speed, and 1 beef cake)

Halo Wraith 2× (one GG 175g nice and beat up- gets slight turn at high speed, and 1 stock stamp 171g that I'm trying to season currently pretty beefy)

Royal Grace 2X: 173g suuuuper beat up, definitely my flippiest disc, still has a touch of stability at the end), 171g slightly newer, still quite flippy.

1 hades- this disc is barely even in my bag. I throw it for 1 hole on the local course to shape a big S curve.... it's only in because i aced with it on that one hole and was my first +400 disc.

3x PDs, 175- 1 domey S-Line (new, fairly stable. BH), 1 Flat Color glow C-Line (new, also fairly stable FH) and 1 Domey C-line (straight and awesome). just added these to the bag...I found an old super beat up C line in a used bin a few weeks ago.. and it's all I want to throw anymore. This mold is probably the corner stone of my bag currently and the only mold that will be in my bag 100% moving forward.

1x Halo Savant 170g. Testing alongside the PD. (Another used bin score. Nice flip to flat)

----

2x Fx-2s. 1 - 400 plastic 174g, and 1- 400g plastic 171. Fell in love with how these feel in the hand. Both pretty new, and suuuper OS, they bumped the sexton firebird from my bag. Curious to see how they hold up. (I have a 500 and 750 on the shelf. But love the grip of the 400 plastics)

1x glow Marwede Firebird (175) ... couldn't bring myself to completely remove the Firebird from my bag.. so it's still in there with the fx2s

2x teebird3 (175g)- 1 halo- nice and stable, 1 color glow, really straight. Nice point and shoot discs. I used to reach for these A LOT.. but less since I added the PD.

1x Opto explorer (176)- basically the same as my color glow Teebird3, but with a lot more glide and a bit flippier. Was previously bagging an opto-x explorer to compliment this before the teebirds took over.

1× Neo Essence (175g) hyzer flip, shot shaping, roller shenanigans disc. Back and forth between this disc and an MVP Signal... essence felt more versatile.

1x Tilt. ...... ..... Cause it's fun.

Mids: (my mid game is weak. I generally jump from putters to fairways)

1x Neo Origin (170g). One of my most thrown mids. This disc got me throwing mids again.

1× C line MD3 (177g)- was a big emac truth thrower for a bit, but like the stiffness of the new C line plastic. Makes me more confident to flick it now and then.

1x Big Z Malta (175g)... big flex spot in my bag. Not sold on this disc. But like it better than the Method I had here previously... might just add an infinite MF chariot? Idk. Let me know what your favorite overstable mid is.

1x Lucid Justice. (180g) you gotta love the justice. Could just as easily be swapped with 1 of the mutants I have... but it felt too boujee having all that discmania plastic 🤣

Putters:
2x ev 7 Penrose- 1 firm and 1 medium (for t shots and putting when it's colder... or sometimes I just need to put my other putter on timeout. )

2x R-pro Pigs. 1 stiff, new one and one beat to death and gummy. Probably my most used disc. Basically every approach and a lot of T shots., forehand and backhand. ,sSomeone was telling me to switch to a rhino- cause it's available in more plastics and very similar? But haven't actually ever seen or felt one in person... so. Let me know what your thoughts are.

1x Berg. K1 soft. Utility. If I'm deathly afraid of going long, and need something to sit.

Stable Driver- I would pick either PD/Savant or Teebird3/Explorer Combo. They will cover almost the same shot, just depends on your preference.

Eliminate

If you are looking to season, I would recommend you pick one US driver to focus on during the winter. You will be able to season, then when tournament season comes, you can add in more based on your current throwing motion. 450+ is great to work on in the winter, just don't put it in the bag bc it will tempt you and the cold weather won't allow you to get as far.

These can all accomplish the same approach shot. I would work to find which one is more versitile for you and try sticking with it for 5-10 rounds. If you find that you really miss one of the others, add it back in and you know it's a keeper

Try just using the MD3 as your OS mid. This would be a good one to get a couple and season for various OS mid-range shots.

Same advice with the OS approach discs, try taking one out and see if you miss the other, but give it a few rounds

I would also check to see which discs do better double duty. (BH&FH, instead of just one or the other) This would all you to season faster bc those discs with get thrown twice as much.

Everyone has their own game but I started bagging Wraiths recently and found they really streamlined the amount of different molds that I bag. I have four in my bag right now and they run everywhere from flippy to really beefy and everything in between. I can cover so many shots and distances with them that I've managed to only bag Craves, Felons, and Wraiths to cover everything that my mids and putters won't cover.

Good luck.

Stable Driver- I would pick either PD/Savant or Teebird3/Explorer Combo. They will cover almost the same shot, just depends on your preference.

Eliminate

If you are looking to season, I would recommend you pick one US driver to focus on during the winter. You will be able to season, then when tournament season comes, you can add in more based on your current throwing motion. 450+ is great to work on in the winter, just don't put it in the bag bc it will tempt you and the cold weather won't allow you to get as far.

These can all accomplish the same approach shot. I would work to find which one is more versitile for you and try sticking with it for 5-10 rounds. If you find that you really miss one of the others, add it back in and you know it's a keeper

Try just using the MD3 as your OS mid. This would be a good one to get a couple and season for various OS mid-range shots.

Same advice with the OS approach discs, try taking one out and see if you miss the other, but give it a few rounds

I would also check to see which discs do better double duty. (BH&FH, instead of just one or the other) This would all you to season faster bc those discs with get thrown twice as much.

I've cut the teebirds from the bag as well as the firebird, and removed all distance drivers from the bag (for now) just throwing the PDs, FX2s and the one explorer.

Great call on the mids. The Malta got cut.. was not gelling with the disc at all and I tend to just grab my pig when I need something more stable or just adjust the angle of the MD3. Im going to grab some Chariots (md3s) in various plastics/flatness and play a few rounds with just those to start working some into the bag.
The Berg is also out. My super beat pig does the same thing.

Slight update to the bag-

Cut the wraith, I found a couple stock run Grace that we're domey and beefy(er).
so 3 Grace- one overstable, one stable, and one flippy.

Added a CD2. Scored an X out C-line. Love it. More controllable Grace. None of my PDs are flippy.. so it's nice to have a glidey, shapier disc in that control slot.

Cut the FX-2 and replaced with Felons. Still love the flight of the FX-2... but it would tear up my finger if thrown a lot... I had an old super beat up lucid felon that I can't even remember why I took it out of the bag.. it flies great. Added that and a brand new lucid.

Cut the Teebird3s and Explorer. Fell in love with the Crave. Got a flippy one that flies like ,-2,1 and a stable one that flies like ,-0.5, 1.5.

Added Verdicts to the bag. Got an awesome beat up Moonshine in a trade... it's like a baby PD... I love it. So I snagged one of the new Fuzion-X as a beefier counter part. Great forehand disc. (Still bag the MD3, they feel similar enough in hand, and my MD3 fills a much straighter shot).

Added the Praxis as a throwing putter. Man.. the plastic is incredible. One Glow, and one Aura. Aura Flips to flat on a hyzer and has a nice soft fade. Glow is similar, maybe a touch more stability though. They compliment the pig nicely. Just bagging the Aura currently to get it nice and seasoned.

Considering swapping the pigs out... lack of plastic options is disappointing..and I go through r-pros so fast. gunna try the exo Tactic/Razor Claw II for a bit. We'll see.

Current lineup is -

Distance Driver: 2x Rive, 3x Grace

Control Driver: 2PD, 1CD2, 2 Felon

Fairway: 2x Crave

Mids: 2x Verdict, 1x Md3, 1x Origin, 1x Justice

Putters: 2x Penrose, 1x Praxis, 2x Pigs

Current lineup is -

Distance Driver: 2x Rive, 3x Grace

Control Driver: 2PD, 1CD2, 2 Felon

Fairway: 2x Crave

Mids: 2x Verdict, 1x Md3, 1x Origin, 1x Justice

Putters: 2x Penrose, 1x Praxis, 2x Pigs

Slight update to the bag: (mostly using this thread as a pseudo journal to document how my bag and my game evolves)

Have since cut the Verdicts and added an Iron Samurai III for the overstable mid. Also cut the Justice (wasnt throwing it enough).

Mid lineup is now: 2x Md3 and 1x origin. Those cover all the slots I seem to need.

Also tested the tactics in Exo soft and Lux. I liked em , but ultimately the Pig won out for its lack of glide. Was constantly going long with the tactic (more of a control issue on my end, but the pig helps mitigate that) Put a crystal flex Zone in the bag which took over the slot of the second, fresh, Pig as well as the Justice.
So we're at 1 x Pig. 1 x Zone. 1 x Praxis for throwing/approach putters.
Can't get enough of the Praxis. Loving that disc.

I also added a super beat up Relay for a really undersable fairway/hyzerflip disc. The Craves are absolute money, but I needed something a touch flippier, and that old relay gets it done.

Fairways are 2x Crave 1 x Relay 2x Felon

The rest of the drivers are still the same. PD and CD2 are my most thrown discs on longer courses.
Ordered some TSA Synapse and the new Leviska Falcor, to test agaisnt the Grace/Rive. Curious to see how they compare. Will be pretty hard to bump the Rive/Grace combo at this point though. But should be in this week.

Threw the Falcor... the disc is money. Very similar to the Grace, but has a bit more stability, and a touch more distance potential.. plus I'm loving the 400 plastic They come in, super tackey, and just gummy enough to really bite into the disc. Very similar hand feel to the Rive is an added bonus. My form is definitely improving and I'm noticing I'm getting more out of my faster discs lately. Been pushing 400 on a forehand with the beat up Rive.
Going to try the Falcor in place of the grace for a bit and see how it goes. Even the more stable Falcor have more turn out of the gate than the Rive, I think they compliment eachother nicely.

Just picked up a Mint Discs Profit from a used bin, and it feels exactly like a flat top Penrose... slightly shallower, but flies almost identical to the Penrose... I like the depth of the Penrose and it's definitely not leaving my bag, but there are days where it's just not sitting right in my hand... I might carry the Profit around for those days when my putting is just a little off.

Current bag:
Max D:
2x Rive
2xFalcor
1× Hades- to fill the understable slot until something beats up enough to fill it.

Control:
2x PD (fresh color glow, and 1 beat up Dark Maul 1)
1× c line CD2
2x Felon (both BioFuzion. One with some dome. One board flat)

Fairways:
2x Crave
1x Relay

Mids:
2xMD3
1x Origin
1x Zone- crystal flx

Putters:
2x Penrose (OG Firm)
1x Pig
1x Praxis

Still a lot of discs, but I'm really getting comfortable with em all, and between the 7 or 8 courses I play regularly, I've got every shot covered and then some. ( Note--Least thrown discs: Fresh Rive, Fresh felon, hades, fresh Crave, Origin and Zone. )

After playing consistently the last few weeks, my form isn't consitent enough to get the full flight out of the Falcor. Regressed in a big way this last week, in terms of distance and consistency. went back to the Grace for that old familiar hyzer flip, bomber goodness. Took the fresh Rive out of my bag, as it never gets used. Also found a used soft electron envy in a used bin a few weeks back, and it immediately took over the Praxis slot. Love the Praxis, but the availability of baseline (and just..all) plastics for the envy swung me to team Envy. The justice found its way back in the bag, the crystal flx zone just wasn't hooking up the way I wanted it to.

Current lineup-
1x Rive
2x Grace
1x hades

2x PD
2X CD2- both C line. First One was getting 2 flippy, so I cycled a new one in.
2x Felon- 1 biofuzion and 1 FuzionX

2X Crave
1x Relay

2x MD3
1X Origin
1x justice

2x Envy (electron soft. Eclipse)
1X Pig
2x Penrose

Testing light weight Fission Photon/Defy as a driver. Overall getting frustrated with distance drivers, in general, currently. I'm hyzer flipping my Origin right up to 400 ft on my local course, but only getting my 10/11 speeds up to 410ish on full flights... I think I tense up when I grab a wide rim disc? And jack up my timing?... idk... I need to get more video on my form. I feel like if I can get my mids up to 350-400 consistently like i am, I should be able to push the higher speeds up to 450+ it's getting frustrating, cause I know I can, I'm just not executing... But I'm glad I'm able to throw that origin like that, the disc is money. So much fun to throw

Been throwing Mids a lot lately. Added another, less beat up Origin, my original Origin is really flippy anymore. Added a lighter weight MD3 that has some high speed flip, but finishes harder than the new Origin.. might be some overlap there.. we'll see. Love my Md3s, but the MD3s don't love to be flicked. Might add an MD4 to the lineup. The iron Samurai 3 (pink) is plenty stable on a backhand, but needs hyzer to avoid turning and burning. Going to practice more with it.
Loving the 161 Fission Defy. Can hit it flat, Get a nice full flight out of it, with a strong left finish. Lighter weights come out so clean for me, but its definitely not flippy. Mostly play wooded courses. So I haven't tested it in any wind yet, but the PDs battle winds well enough for me to feel confident in the wind.

Got out and played Caliber disc golf course today and felt REALLY good about where my bag is at. Shot my first ever unde Par and only Bogied 2 holes. PD, Cd2, MD3s and Origin put in the majority of the work. Only threw a true distance driver a couple times. Lost my favorite, flippy, origin at league last night though.. but the Meta Origin has filled in nicely. Might try an Uplink in that flippy slot, especially since my MD3s are beating in to pretty straight at this point. PD/CD2 solidified themselves as my favorite 1-2 punch drivers, a more stable PD might be in order though. A little more bite could be nice, but I absolutely mashed on these discs all day and they were money. Absolutely ate up the par 4s and 5s out there.

Nice thread! The most overstable Pd is the 13th run. If you have trouble identifying them, all of the 10 year anniversary freak stamp Pds are from that run.

Latest posts