• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Sidearm disc

Fraser: You bring up an interesting point. I drive on any hole over 200 RHFH, and I have a variety of drivers (check my sig line) and I've been throwing that way for so long that I can make almost any shot (i.e. flex shots, hyzer flips, annys, etc) but I think what captain jack was referring to was begginers. If you're just learning a forehand, then you really need to use a few specific discs....at least until you've mastered your form.

Then again, I'm not a huge beliver in strict, by-the-book form either. I have an unconventional follow-through (see my avatar for an example) and my grip when forehand driving is only using two fingers: thumb and forefinger. It works for me, but begginers really need to stick to the basics before they progress to putting their own style on things, IMO.

Andy, I throw anything over 100' RHFH. I'm slowly working on getting a decent BH. You could be right about captain jack referring to beginners, but I would be cautious in recommending ultra-fast/overstable discs to beginners. I've been throwing about a year and a half. The first year was nothing but ultra-fast/overstable discs. It was great that I got excellent (beginner) distance but quickly plateaued ~300'. It wasn't until I started learning how to throw stable-understable discs that my distance started to increase. While this in-and-of itself is ok (progression-wise), it was harder (and took longer) to learn how to throw less stable and lighter weight plastic. I still have to rely on heavier weights because I am still trying to minimize and control OAT. I really wish I wouldn't have given away my Avenger SS two months into playing because "I couldn't throw it". I realize now I could have been doing the exact same things I'm doing now, 10 months ago (learning how to throw with decent form).

The discs I would recommend for a beginner would be the same for BH although not 150 class/baseline plastics. While these discs are forgiving enough to learn BH, I feel they are not forgiving enough for FH. A heavier, premium plastic disc in the same molds (Leopards, Teebirds, Eagles, etc.) should be more overstable for a beginner than their lighter weight/base plastic counterparts. At least this has been my experience. It really depends on the individual; everyone has a different "natural" ability. If someone doesn't have a natural wrist snap and are likely to strong-arm, there is going to be a steep learning curve no matter what disc they throw. To me, learning how to throw "the disc that is in my hand" is more important than "what disc can I buy that will give me instant gratification". My old-style of throwing FH was strong-arming ultra-fast/overstable discs; the style I'm working on now is "let the disc fly the intended route and distance without feeling like I threw it".

Also, I'm not a huge believer in strict, by-the-book form either. Everyone has a different form that one must work within. The trick is to find the place where you are not damaging your body and being able to throw smoothly with a clean release. To me the most important part of the throw is the hit and the moment just after release. How you get to the hit and the follow through isn't as important (although these two things are key to not damaging your body) as having a quick open-to-closed wrist motion and your hand/palm in the same plane (without wrist-roll) as just before the hit->release->split second after the disc has completely left your hand.

This is only what I know through my own experience though and is intended for those that truly want to learn how to throw FH when they want to and not for when they need to.

Last edited:
Also, anything with bubbles in it, OTHER than the old mistake Boss's from years ago, will NOT make a good forehand disc.

I agree with those, that say you can throw any disc side-arm or FH with proper practice and be consistent and accurate.

I also know you can compete at a high level throwing primarily forehand.

@ Captain Jack: Send me one of those discs with the bubbles in it and I'll video myself throwing it just to prove you wrong.

@ AndyJB: your avatar is pretty small, but I'm pretty sure our follow-throughs are quite similar. I'll try to post one up in a bit.

My buddy geofflaw is a begginner, but really picked up quickly. I had him start with a Leopard, then he quickly moved up to an Archangel, then a Valk. He also throws RHFH, and he recently picked up a VIP and a Tournament Boatman..and waffle stomped his previous distances. Hes still working on his control, but hes been rocking it with that disc. So that's another good FH disc.

@Fraser sounds like you're definetly on the right track and have your head screwed on straight...so I foresee big things in your future, haha! Id love to play with you sometime if you're ever in Colorado!

...@Fraser sounds like you're definetly on the right track and have your head screwed on straight...so I foresee big things in your future, haha! Id love to play with you sometime if you're ever in Colorado!

Thanks Andy for the confidence booster. I've tried to take the lessons that I've learned from three decades of billiard games and apply that to disc golf. There are some similarities in the stroke of a cue and a disc golf throw. Pure strength is not beneficial to perform well in billiards but having a smooth, low effort stroke has major benefits. Things like this will help you (metaphorically) learn how to work within your own abilities. I think we are talking more about fundamentals than technique. For me, technique (or form) is a by-product of having a strong grasp of the fundamentals (things that have to happen for a solid and consistent throw). That doesn't necessarily mean that working on 'proper' form doesn't help in learning the fundamentals. They can be worked on concurrently and this can help mitigate getting entrenched in bad habits.

I would love to join you for a round (or three) the next time I'm in CO. I haven't been back to CO since I stopped climbing quite a few years ago but now I have a good incentive to get back there. :) And if you ever make it down to the state that borders yours to the southeast, let me know and we can arrange a round. I still have a lot to work on in my game but I'm thoroughly enjoying this sport.