• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best/Worst someone getting hit with disc stories

Seeing deadbody's post about his wife reminded me about the time we were playing Kaposia with some other friends. His wife was driving and a friend was standing well off to the side but on the front side of the tee box about 15 feet away. She let go waaaaaayy too early and it went straight for him at full speed. He put Neo to shame and did the quickest Matrix move I've ever seen, bending straight backwards at the waist, and narrowly avoided disaster.

And then there's the time I was playing Bryant Lake with a couple friends. I landed off to the right in the thick brush on the last hole. I couldn't see where the basket was, so one friend was guiding me with the sound of his voice. I called out heads up and whipped one hard to get through the thick brush. Little did I know my other friend, who never pays attention to anything EVER, was standing directly in the way. He took a shot directly to the NECK. Good thing his throat was in the way, cuz my shot would have gone way to far.

The greatest story ever told

A couple of summers ago my wife and a few of my friends went to play North Valley. It was a fairly busy day, and one group was teeing off on the first hole when we got there, and another group was waiting in front of us. There were four of them, one guy 35+, two around 20, and one kid about 10. Judging by their looks and the overall vibe I got, I imagined they were from some sort of group home/halfway house. The older one seemed to be the guardian or whatever.

The first hole is just outside of the right field line of a softball field. There were also a few people playing catch on the field, and they had a couple dogs running around playing. The little kid seemed scared of the dogs, and he let the older caretaker guy know. The man in charge said--word for word now--"Don't worry, if they come over here, I'll cut them." :eek:

"I'll CUT them."

My eyes met silently with my wife's and my friends as we exchanged worried/shocked looks. Luckily, the dogs did not approach the child. The first group finished and the halfway house people played hole 1. The hole starts around the backstop area, you throw down the right field line, and the basket is amongst some small trees about 15 feet behind the 8 foot high outfield fence. Hole 2 starts not far to the left of there.

They finish hole 1 and walk over to hole 2, waiting to tee off. At this time, none of us can really throw 300 ft, at least not reliably. I hem and haw about driving with them standing there, but my friend Mike says, "There's no way I'll hit them from here."

He lets loose a beautiful forehand drive, slight hyzer flip so it starts off left and barely comes back to the right. It keeps sailing and I'm getting a little nervous. Mike thinks it hits the outfield fence, but I see it barely clear the fence and ricochet off the top of one dude's head, followed by his hand reaching up to check for blood.

My wife immediatley says what we are all thinking, "Oh sh!t, we're cut!

We finished the hole and got up to them. With an apology, luckily we did not get cut. However, we did wait for a long time and gave them a buffer zone of about 3 holes.

Teachable Moment

I took my girl out to the field earlier this summer for some practice throws and decided to play a little catch before we started bombing our drives.

In hindsight, my 176g Elite-Z Buzzz was probably not the best choice in the bag but I pulled it out anyway. After a couple minutes of good back and forth tossing I end up throwing one a bit low.

She, having little experience with DG discs and much more with Ultimate style discs, makes a move to casually deaden it down to the ground with her foot. Instead, the wind kicks it up just enough for it to nail her square in the shin.

She goes down in a heap of what I could only imagine was the worst kind of pain, even after a relatively casual toss. Took a few days for the lump/bruise to go down too.

We both had a great day in the field after that though. Shes a trooper.

One of my buddies went on a camping trip with his 2 Rottweilers and a few friends. They had been pooping in a hole in the ground the entire time. They pack up camp and cram into my buddie's Durango with the dogs to head home. About a half hour later cruising down the highway doing 70... one of the dogs throws up like 9 pounds of human fecal matter all over the inside of the Durango and the guys in the back seat. Instantly the guys in the back seat start throwing up and panicking for my buddy to pull over. At the same time the smell is so overwhelming that my friend; the driver sticks his head out the window and starts throwing up. He's swerving like a maniac down the highway with his head out the window like a dog just puking his brains out. His puke is going right into the face of the guy behind him with his head out the window throwing up too. People are honking and slowing down. He slams the brakes finally and skids out on to the shoulder where everyone piles out of the car and continues puking on the side of the road while stripping naked to get rid of the poop and puke covered clothes. My buddy is dry heaving for an extra hour on the side of the road trying to clean out his car with pond water and camping towels.

I know it's not a disc hitting story but I don't have one and I thought I would repay the laughs.

That's going in the disc golf movie.

My face hurts from laughing.

Oh Haha. Glad everyone enjoyed the story. Luckily it's not one of those "you had to be there" ones.

I haven't hit anyone, yet but I've been hit. I went to clear the basket for my brother and he nailed me in the temple with a DX Aero from 20' away, that surprisingly stung. My buddy got nailed once b/w the shoulder blades with a Star TeeRex thrown sidearm from ~100' by another buddy, one of our carefree "drinking" rounds.

Oops

I have just picked up DG in the last few weeks and loving it.
Fortunately, I have about twenty some acres to practice on, and I had 3 of my kids out practicing yesterday afternoon.
I was finally getting my RHBH to go straight and about 240 feet...nothing great, but literally just started. I decided I was going to see if I could get RHFH to quit curving so much right.
My 9 year old daughter was about 30 feet in front of me, but well left. I go for a RHFH, and the thing immediately flips straight up and down, and heads straight for her. It hits her square on the hip. She drops to the ground immediately, and today has about a 1 inch by 3 inch black & blue welt.
Who was the first person she told tonight? Our friend that works for child services...yeah, I was sweatin'!

Hit my wife in my dreams

Kind of related here, I had a dream that I was teeing off on my local course but I didn't have a disc in my hand but my snap and follow through punched my wife in the ribs while sleeping! I "threw" it pretty hard. She curled up in a ball and asked "why did you punch me for?" and I said I was playing disc golf in my dreams. I thought it was kind of funny. A few weeks later, my wife did the same thing to me, said she was throwing a disc in her dreams, but the odd thing is that she doesn't even play disc golf.

This story takes place several years ago when me and several friends were playing a casual round. It should be noted that the guy that does the hitting is probably the worst disc golfers I have ever meet. Well I believe we were on hole 17 all going in to putt and one of the guys was within about 1' so he went to finish off real quick and get out of the way. Before he could get his disc out of the basket the terrible guy from about 20'-25' throws his putt. This guy throws his putt, I believe it was some kind of Innova fairway driver, on a crazy hyzer angle about 20' in the air and it dots my other friend right in the back of the head. Now this stings of course but it is in no way devastating. The guy who gets hit looks up and gives a "what the heck" look, with out any apology, or warning for that matter, the other guy says oops and walks up to finish the whole. Since than my friend that got hit can't really stand the other guy, the disc golf situation was the straw that broke the camels back I guess.

Kind of related here, I had a dream that I was teeing off on my local course but I didn't have a disc in my hand but my snap and follow through punched my wife in the ribs while sleeping! I "threw" it pretty hard. She curled up in a ball and asked "why did you punch me for?" and I said I was playing disc golf in my dreams. I thought it was kind of funny. A few weeks later, my wife did the same thing to me, said she was throwing a disc in her dreams, but the odd thing is that she doesn't even play disc golf.

ROFL! You need to add this to the "You know your addicted to disc golf when..." thread.

One of my buddies went on a camping trip with his 2 Rottweilers and a few friends. They had been pooping in a hole in the ground the entire time. They pack up camp and cram into my buddie's Durango with the dogs to head home. About a half hour later cruising down the highway doing 70... one of the dogs throws up like 9 pounds of human fecal matter all over the inside of the Durango and the guys in the back seat. Instantly the guys in the back seat start throwing up and panicking for my buddy to pull over. At the same time the smell is so overwhelming that my friend; the driver sticks his head out the window and starts throwing up. He's swerving like a maniac down the highway with his head out the window like a dog just puking his brains out. His puke is going right into the face of the guy behind him with his head out the window throwing up too. People are honking and slowing down. He slams the brakes finally and skids out on to the shoulder where everyone piles out of the car and continues puking on the side of the road while stripping naked to get rid of the poop and puke covered clothes. My buddy is dry heaving for an extra hour on the side of the road trying to clean out his car with pond water and camping towels.

I know it's not a disc hitting story but I don't have one and I thought I would repay the laughs.

Holy Crap, I am crying from laughing so hard! That is one of the funniest stories I have ever read. Thanks for the story. I can't stop laughing.:D

hmmm... yeah that is odd she had the same dream shortly after. :rolleyes:

Playing a casual round with a good buddy of mine, my drive had barely gone into some woods. My friend had walked up the fairway to get his and afterward ends up standing directly in between me and the basket. I told him to watch out and he told me to go for it so I said I was aiming straight at him. (100 ft from him, 150 from the hole) He said throw. I threw and my disc went straight at him. He sees it coming at him and with a few seconds to react he decides his best course of action is jumping over my incoming disc. He failed and it hit him square in the thigh.

Playing a casual round with a good buddy of mine, my drive had barely gone into some woods. My friend had walked up the fairway to get his and afterward ends up standing directly in between me and the basket. I told him to watch out and he told me to go for it so I said I was aiming straight at him. (100 ft from him, 150 from the hole) He said throw. I threw and my disc went straight at him. He sees it coming at him and with a few seconds to react he decides his best course of action is jumping over my incoming disc. He failed and it hit him square in the thigh.

haha :D
How high off the ground was it?