• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Between Drivers and Mids

Between a driver and a Mid which disc do you think you throw more off the tee. Also which disc would that be. I would say mine would be my X-buzz i can throw this pretty consitant.

Between a driver and a Mid which disc do you think you throw more off the tee. Also which disc would that be. I would say mine would be my X-buzz i can throw this pretty consitant.

By "between" do you mean distance? A bit longer than you can throw your mids, but below the distance you can get with a driver?

If that is the question, it becomes an issue of flight line control. How tight is the fairway, any objects to get around, wind, etc.

If I really need to hold a certain line on a tight fairway, I throw my Rocs, as I'd rather be short than in the crap. Often short still has a decent putting chance if you land in the fairway.

If I have a bit more room to work, I'll throw a driver, at lower power, maybe at a hyzer

Beat up DX drivers can do very well at a lower power, as I'm learning, so it really does depend on the hole and conditions.

Usually, the gap in distance between my mids and fairway drivers is still within putting range on either side of the basket.

It all depends on the course, and the hole. Everyone comments on how many discs I carry in my "tourney" bag <23>. I recently played a 2-day 2 course tourney, first day was 1 course, second was another. I pulled out my groove about 2-3 times a round due to a certain shot that I need that this disc will do, on the first day, and then the 2nd day never pulled it out at all. So, asking what I throw off the teepad most for me, depends on the course, and the hole. Hole #1 at Orangeburg for example is about 110'....so I throw a blowfly. Hole #1 at Va-Du-Mar in Boiling Springs, is about 320-350', so I'm throwing a driver.

I have a preference of what I want to throw off the tee and it goes in order starting with my putter, then my mid, then my fairway driver, then my distance driver then my OH disc.

Preference asside, its the hole that dictates what I actually throw. I will start with looking at what I prefer and the shot and move down my preference list accordingly until I see a shot I like the best out of all my options.

It all depends on how I want the disc's flight to end. Drivers tend to have a more drastic left turn at the end.

I think I misunderstood the question. My bad. I thought you meant how do you handle distances that are a bit long for mids, yet under driver distance.

As far as what do I throw the most, it's probably Rocs. But that's given the courses that I play where more of the holes are:

Par 3s requiring controlled lines, less than 320ish.
Par 4s that are up to 550ft, but still require control, making it two shots to the basket

But other longer, more open courses I play, I throw alot more drivers, SOLFs, more than likely.

I've played 9000' courses in tight conditions where I've thrown more mids and I've played 5000' more open courses whre I've thrown more drivers.

Def depends on the layout of the course. Some shorter courses I play with putters and mids, but some of the longer courses, there are only one or two hole I will throw a mid or putter off the box.
100-250- Innova dx XD
250-300- Discraft Meteor or Star Roc
300+ Driver mostly CE Valkyrie or Champ Sidewinder

It depends on the tee and the throw, obviously.
Long, open throws - Flip hyzer a ProWraith.
Shorter open throws - ESP Crush or FLX AvengerSS
Tight throws - Star Mako or Star SM Roc.

I tend to throw a mid-range from most tees on my home course (Castle Hayne) because they are tight throws.

When in doubt

When just starting a new course, and based on the length and area, more than likely, I would throw a ESP flash. If thrown on tight hyzer snap the disc does not need much room to flex, go str8, and land fairly soft.

To be even more conservative, I would recommend the "Z" SurgeSS. The disc is fast(not too fast), has massive glide, lands fairly soft. It is a very workable disc, so trusting it on most shots, especially ones never played is a good way to start. Once you get an idea for the hole, I would probably gauge up(wraith, flash, katana, X-cal, etc.) or gauge down (tracker, stalker, buzzz, drone, viking, etc.) until you find a disc with good shot potential....meaning bigger shot+longer distance+bigger skip=more problems...gl :thmbup:

For the inbetween driver/mid feel i throw a Discraft impact. It actually feels like a driver/mid hybrid in my hand and goes a little further than my mids. The only downside (if you can call it that) is it likes to fly perfectly straight so it wouldn't be the best for shaping lines.

OP, could you clarify what you meant? Do you mean:

"Do you throw more drivers or more mids?"
OR
"How do you throw on holes that are a bit too long for mids yet shorter than your drivers?"

They're called fairway drivers.

Teebirds rock.

Edit: after re-reading your post, I misunderstood your question. It really depends on hole length and obstacles, but lately I've noticed that I've been teeing off with a lot more midranges and putters than I used to. I also use my fairway drivers a lot more these days, and I'm probably only pulling the distance drivers out for a couple bombs each round.

I just counted it out for kicks, and in a typical round at my home course I only use distance drivers on five out of eighteen holes. The rest are pretty evenly split between Teebirds/TLs, Buzzzes/Meteors, and Challengers depending on how far I'm trying to get my drive and what's in my way.

Last edited:
ESP Buzzz I throw a little over 300, teebird to like 370

Just learn to throw the Buzz further. They can be tossed as far as you're getting your Teebird.

To the OP: Drivers. There's only a few holes I use a mid to drive, because most holes it's either Wizard or Teebird for me. If it's under 330, it's Wizard, if it's 360-420, it's Teebird. There's a few exceptions, like a 375 foot anhyzer hole with an elevated teepad that the buzz works great for. It sees some use on holes 340-360 feet long but I prefer driving with my putter when I can.

Last edited:
If you compare my mids to any single mold of driver I throw mids more. However if you compare mids to all drivers I probably throw drivers more. So I throw a Roc off the tee more than Teebirds or Gazelles or OLF's or Avengers or Spirits, but I don't throw a Roc off the tee more than Teebirds, Gazelles, OLF's, Avengers and Spirits combined.