• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BH Form Critique

VegOut

Hey,

Looking for form advice to get me to the next stage. I've played for a number of years starting with frolf and getting more into DG. Finally, trying to focus on my form. I have thrown 300' with a Grym on flat but average 250-275' with Essences and Instincts. Rec player looking to compete with my buddies more. Been watching OverThrow and others along with doing field work weekly.

Here I am throwing Putters. 4 Vids total throwing BH. Looking to get more distance, spin, and control. Sometimes my angle control gets off.

https://youtu.be/iQogdSVZ-us
https://youtu.be/sLJJo4TIiIs
https://youtu.be/owJW1oKG3_w
https://youtu.be/YpjUJ7hUjhA

Thoughts? Thanks for your Time

You are throwing off your heels, tilted back nose up anhyzer. Get your chin/chest more over top your swing like a battering ram - shoulders swinging over knees.

Probably need to adjust your grip to new swing plane.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137985

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 2.42.46 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 2.42.46 AM copy.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 62
To add to sw22's point about balance being on the heels, your X-step is too large and turning you away from the target. It's easier to maintain proper balance and posture when your feet are aligned more or less perpendicular to the target through all the steps (you still need to be a bit staggered for the plant to remain closed).

In the standstill throws, the excessive reachback is throwing you out of posture and balance. Try to stay more upright.

Thanks for the replies SW22 and Ristos. Was worried for a minute my form was so bad no one could even watch it.

Seems a lot of improvement can be made by improving my balance points.

A few months ago I realized during the X-step that I was facing backwards. Been watching OT footwork video, but I need to improve on that more.

Less reachback, smaller x-step makes sense. I do have a reputation of falling of tees every so often. This is probably being off balance.

I was watching the videos the past through days and even reached out to a buddy. I noticed I was coming up and across throwing nose up and anhyzer release. Thought maybe I had a bit of rounding. My buddy says that I need to keep the disc on an even plane. Stop moving my arms up and down throughout the swing.

Now that I know what I need to change how do I change it? Do field work daily, keep 1-2 things in mind and then revideo every few sets or days? Should I just stick with putters for this or just Understable discs?

The swing plane is not straight and flat.

I wish every disc golfer would be shown that thread!

As your posture improves your arm will go through a lot of adjustments. It may take work to have it follow your shoulder more naturally and consistently. I would say that learning to keep it loose and get your weight and shoulder leading it like a "dingle arms" is most important early on.

I think working with neutral putters and mids is good advice at every stage. Think of it like a calibrator for every change since they're more "honest" indicators of your release. Maybe a bit understable too since it's useful to learn hyzerflips, and it's a little easier to get form changes when working on hyzer angles. Constant fieldwork with those discs has been the most responsible for the strokes I've shaved on the course.

If you're working on downtempo/controlled shots, I'd say some work every day or two can pay off. Depending on how fast your body picks up changes checking in more or less frequently may be helpful. I'd probably try a couple sessions on the above and check in!

Your rear foot is turned too backward and you extend your rear knee pushing off your rear heel instead of the ball of the foot and rear knee flexing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.12.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.12.44 PM.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the reply sidewinder22.

Keeping my back foot forward I could probably correct by focusing on it and then try to stay on the ball of my left foot, and probably the right.

Is the takeaway from Dan's video is to have the swing be effortless and fall into the the swing & don't tense up?

Looking forward to the getting more into your videos.

Threw a golf shot 373' today. Farthest before was 325' fifteen days ago. Before that was 300' which I was kinda stalled at the past 2 or so years.

Focused on staying on my toes for my back foot along with it being perpendicular to my shot line, pouring the coffee to a supine wrist during the release, and stepping into my drive foot. Will practice a few more days and rounds before posting again.

Little update. Been conscious about my throwing form every time I've played. Been shooting some good rounds. Beat my best at the local 9 hole by three strokes. Shot even at a new course and increased my placement at weekly leagues.

Realizations:
-When the tee pads get slippery I revert back to rotations my back foot backwards. Just need to be concise of it.
-Form work is a lot more nuanced and complex than I originally thought.
-When I have been feeling synced, I decided to add the weight shift/juke when transferring weight to my front foot. Definitely adds more power. The timing is difficult.

Have a tripod showing up this week. Looking forward to recording my form a bit more easy and at a better angle.

23/3/6 Practice

Youtube Clip

Weekly update: Played 3 new courses. Did pretty well at them playing blind. Had a couple ace runs. Felt more comfortable than normal on <300' holes. Even got a couple compliments while playing through. Leagues didn't go great that week, but I'm not blaming it on my form work. Just a harder course for me, left me mental game plan by the basket of 1, was a bit windier than I am used to, and a bad poison ivy rash was preoccupying me. Random Dubs went well. Was paired with a longer thrower so we used his drives and I sunk some longer putts. This put us into 2nd place, winning our money back.

Onto my form work… Even though I am trying to stay on the ball of my back foot it is still pointed backwards, past perpendicular. :wall: What angle should your back foot point at? Should I work on my x-step before progressing onto other areas? Also when I try to "power up" I tend to take a bigger front step, causing me to get off balance. A smaller x-step should keep me more balanced and control. I'm going to spend some time on my x-step with shadow throws.

Throws were into a headwind. Flipped over everything less stable and slower than my MVP reactor. Got some nice flight out of the new s-line FD.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Bag Update: Removed everything faster than an 8 speed from my bag except for a PD. Trying to use the MVP terra as my OS fairway replacement, but still figuring it out.

Last edited:
You are standing up into the throw instead of getting lower.

End of today's practice. Still a long way to go. Leaning over more, Working on my foot work. Finally throwing with enough strength were pd's make sense and are getting some distance, max 280' in headwind.

https://youtu.be/0EPo9m1n7vY

I would practice throwing slower neutral/understable discs. Throwing high speed overstable discs are often the enemy of learning good form.