• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black Ace: Who has one.

sigh... i don't have any real aces, but one black ace. into the wind- tone 500+ away. my friend just gave me his Force and i tried to kill it forehand. it started out left and just never came back. flattened the bottom of one side of a tone a good 30 degrees off 250 away, plain sight. that thing tanked that tone so damn hard. my friends went ballistic. i thought it was funny, but had work to do to even get a bogie.

tone? 500 foot forehand anny black ace?

yeah I have one....about the first few months in of playing actually lol...I was at hole one at Madeline Bertrand in Niles MI, was teeing off and shanked it BAD!! like to the left of the teepad is a nice little forest and somehow my avenger SS made it all the way through that stuff and landed in 18's basket...looked around everywhere for it when my friend looked at 18's basket and noticed it in there we were both shocked!! haha

My home course has a practice basket near the actual basket of hole 9 (about 40' further). Sometimes we play 2 drives, one at each basket. While aiming for the longer one I "wedge"aced the short one. Don't know if this counts as a black ace... since the basket was in my discs way and it's not like my disc went out of the way to get there. It would have actually been parked had it not hit the short basket. Thought it was cool anyway.
DSCJNKY

sigh... i don't have any real aces, but one black ace. into the wind- tone 500+ away. my friend just gave me his Force and i tried to kill it forehand. it started out left and just never came back. flattened the bottom of one side of a tone a good 30 degrees off 250 away, plain sight. that thing tanked that tone so damn hard. my friends went ballistic. i thought it was funny, but had work to do to even get a bogie.

Hey Mike,
I'm guessing this was on Area 74 since the redwood curtains tone poles aren't "bendable". What hole were you aiming at and which hole did you hit? I'm guessing that if you were aiming at the 500+ footer and went 30 degrees left and hit the tone pole 250' away that you were aiming at 20 and hit 25? Am I right?
DSCJNKY

My home course has a practice basket near the actual basket of hole 9 (about 40' further). Sometimes we play 2 drives, one at each basket. While aiming for the longer one I "wedge"aced the short one. Don't know if this counts as a black ace... since the basket was in my discs way and it's not like my disc went out of the way to get there. It would have actually been parked had it not hit the short basket. Thought it was cool anyway.
DSCJNKY

I think you could call that a brown ace, hit a basket for that hole, just not the one you were aiming at.

Hey Mike,
I'm guessing this was on Area 74 since the redwood curtains tone poles aren't "bendable". What hole were you aiming at and which hole did you hit? I'm guessing that if you were aiming at the 500+ footer and went 30 degrees left and hit the tone pole 250' away that you were aiming at 20 and hit 25? Am I right?
DSCJNKY

you got it... into the wind and i was going for the homerun. good call. i have trouble remembering which hole is which that far into the course... check for the dent if you're out there again.

I have one at a private course here in Humboldt. Hit off a tree and zinged right into the basket. I have my buddy a beer on the spot.

you got it... into the wind and i was going for the homerun. good call. i have trouble remembering which hole is which that far into the course... check for the dent if you're out there again.

I saw the dent in the past, I think it is inscribed "Phantom Ace". Now I'm in NC, it will be a while before I get out there again; I can't wait to get back though. Get a round in with you and HumChris.
DSCJNKY

I see someone mentioned a brown ace was acing the wrong basket but on the right hole, like hitting the short basket when playing the longs.

We always called it a brown ace when it landed in a trash can.

I thought a brown ace is when you ace the basket you aimed at, but it wasn't the basket for the hole you were playing.

Anyway ... I have two at Horning's (or a black and a brown, whatever)

1) playing long #12 on Meadow Ridge, I hit a tree and kicked left into the short basket;
2) playing #6 on Highland, I slipped on the tee and threw a perfect spike anhyzer into basket #14.

Mine was a doozie. Several years back at Charlie Vettiner Park in Louisville. Aced 5's basket from 11's long tee. It was an incredibly bad shank left way downhill maybe 425 ft. The wind somehow carried it perfectly through some normally stout mature cedars to the chains. Impossible line. Had to have been some (black) magic involved.

I have one. Hole 1 at Wright Field is a dogleg left. It plays between two 7' tall barbed wire-topped OB fences. You're not getting any disc that goes there back. We were getting 25 mph wind gusts, so I decided to lay up a putter to the bend.

61dbff91.jpg

I pulled a WTF Richard to the right, and it carried all the way into 9's basket. It's so far right you can't even see it in the picture. My brother in law was with me and we both doubled over laughing.

I witnessed one in a tournament, Brewer Park (Grand Rapids, MI) in about 1998. In one of the woods holes toward the end, somebody's drive on my card ricocheted wildly off a tree close to the tee and it hit the previous basket dead center in the chains. Much cheering and laughing from everybody!

Its too embarrassing to talk about, because the target I hit was nowhere near the correct basket. :doh:

Cool thread resurrection!
I've played a bunch of the recently mentioned courses (Radcliff, Charlie Vettiner, Wright Field), but wanted to share a friend's black ace from a couple of winters ago. We play ice bowl fundraisers at AJ Jolly, and he slipped on the ice teeing off on 18, and black aced the 17th basket. It was nearly impossible at the time, and almost certainly impossible because they've built an amphitheater in between since then!

^My group was on 17's tee but the basket is just out of view down a slope. So, we didn't see what happened and were very confused when he came walking over to pull his disc out...

...I have as many black aces as real aces. 1 each.:|

I've only almost witnessed one black ace in Ft Wayne many years ago. I heard it, was within 100 ft of it but had my back to the basket when it happened. I don't recall the name of the course but the basket that was hit wasn't that far off the fairway the thrower was on. IIRC the locals said it wasn't uncommon for that basket to get in the way of the hole the thrower was playing.