• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

You're the one who came in here and started dropping unsolicited internet expert advice. Sorry, but I'm not the troll here.

If lighter discs fly exactly like their heavier counterparts in terms of stability and I'm simply having a nose angle issue as you suggest, then that same issue would affect both the heavier discs and lighter discs equally, and thus I would be flipping everything the same way. You contradicted your own logic without even realizing it.

Actually I didn't. It's completely conceivable that a lighter disc could be more nose-angle sensitive. And two people subsequently agreed with me based on their experience. It's not about being an expert. Just about posting my experience. Which is kind of the whole point of this forum.

10 dollars says he can't throw this 500 feet! but still this is great he worked hard and got the record with all those hours of practice....it wasn't the disc that got him the record it was the 12 years he spent in the field working on it.

Nikon00002665.jpg

Actually I didn't. It's completely conceivable that a lighter disc could be more nose-angle sensitive. And two people subsequently agreed with me based on their experience. It's not about being an expert. Just about posting my experience. Which is kind of the whole point of this forum.

A disc being more nose-angle sensitive equals it being less stable, at least to a non-internet expert such as myself. I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that my flat 175g wraith and my domey 150g blizzard wraith have the exact same stability quotient. And I highly doubt that I'm the only person on these boards who finds that lighter discs are less stable.

I'm going to have to tap out on this one... not being an internet expert myself, I can't hang with you...

A disc being more nose-angle sensitive equals it being less stable, at least to a non-internet expert such as myself. I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that my flat 175g wraith and my domey 150g blizzard wraith have the exact same stability quotient. And I highly doubt that I'm the only person on these boards who finds that lighter discs are less stable.

I'm going to have to tap out on this one... not being an internet expert myself, I can't hang with you...

I can't comment on the wraith but my uber domey 154 destroyer was very overstable, compared to the 'newer' runs of max weight star destroyers, until I folded the crap out of it, now its just right. No other blizz that I've seen has the massive dome that some of the destroyers come out with.

I can't comment on the wraith but my uber domey 154 destroyer was very overstable, compared to the 'newer' runs of max weight star destroyers, until I folded the crap out of it, now its just right. No other blizz that I've seen has the massive dome that some of the destroyers come out with.

Logic-4
Douchebag who knows everything-0

A disc being more nose-angle sensitive equals it being less stable, at least to a non-internet expert such as myself.

And this is wrong. In this case, air is getting under the nose of the disc and, because it is a lighter disc, is lifting it higher in the air than you want it, which is exactly what you described. Has nothing to do with a more or less overstable flight...in this instance.

Not an expert...just logical. And I never said the stability is the exact same. Just that they fly pretty similar when thrown correctly.

A disc being more nose-angle sensitive equals it being less stable, at least to a non-internet expert such as myself.

Wut..?? Sounds a little apples to oranges there...does not compute. While the disc may be more sensitive to changes in the throw, that isn't a factor for actual stability.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that my flat 175g wraith and my domey 150g blizzard wraith have the exact same stability quotient. And I highly doubt that I'm the only person on these boards who finds that lighter discs are less stable.

I'll beg to differ with you there as well, on two counts. Stability by design isn't a factor of weight. However, in the real world, lighter discs are easier to power/overpower, which of course affects the flight...not all, but some, are more sensitive to input from throwing angles when they are lighter discs. You can't make that a generalization, though. It's kind of the same thing as people saying that more dome equals more stability - that obviously isn't true for every mold and that "fact" has been disproven a number of times.

Picked up a 139g (141 scaled) bliz Wraith last week and it is an *exact* carbon copy of my 175g pro Wraith....dome, plh, the whole shootin' match. It flies very stable to overstable, just like the pro did when new, thrown at the same approximate power. So the molding characteristics are showing themselves to be more important than weight....assuming that the thrower can reproduce the same throw, that is.

You're the one who came in here and started dropping unsolicited internet expert advice. Sorry, but I'm not the troll here.

If lighter discs fly exactly like their heavier counterparts in terms of stability and I'm simply having a nose angle issue as you suggest, then that same issue would affect both the heavier discs and lighter discs equally, and thus I would be flipping everything the same way. You contradicted your own logic without even realizing it.

So offering advice to someone who seems to need it is trolling now?

And for the record, lighter discs do usually fly less stable than heavier ones. That doesn't apply to blizzards though, so it isn't really a factor here. The thing about blizzards, I believe, is that the bubbles allow the disc to be lighter while maintaining the stability of a heavier counterpart. So, if your blizzard is quite a bit less stable seeming, it is much more likely to be a nose issue than an actual stability difference.

The great thing about the blizzards is that with physics, when you move mass from the edge (here, the rim) closer to the center of rotation (here, the flight plate), it will be much easier to rotate (ie/ put spin on). This explains why they would be more straight than anything, as more spin = a resistance to turnover or hyzering out. That is my experience with a 150g Boss and 151g Destroyer.

Now, I did see a 127g (!!!!) Destroyer...I wonder if anyone has thrown one that low? I wonder if they're the same or if giong *that* light affects it? I doubt it but was curious before I dropped some cash on it.

I got the last Blizzard Boss at my local store yesterday. They said they've never had discs sell as fast as the new blizzards. Around to stay?:thmbup:

I was at PIAS yesterday looking through X-outs and saw a Star Destroyer that had Blizzard bubbles in the rim, its weight was 155.

I also noticed that most of the new Champ Blizzard discs had the bubbles exclusively in the rim, so many were packed in there that the rim was almost a whitish color and had a weird sandpaper feel to it.

I was at PIAS yesterday looking through X-outs and saw a Star Destroyer that had Blizzard bubbles in the rim, its weight was 155.

I also noticed that most of the new Champ Blizzard discs had the bubbles exclusively in the rim, so many were packed in there that the rim was almost a whitish color and had a weird sandpaper feel to it.

i have a teedevil that feels like its all scratched up from the blizz bubbles

i have a teedevil that feels like its all scratched up from the blizz bubbles

Seems like the early runs were pretty rough/textured. My Destroyer is like that. The new batches at the stores here are much better...actually really good quality. Smooth, no flash, bubbles seem uniform and in the rim only, domes are low. The Katanas seem to still have more variation from what I saw, especially in the lighter weights. The Wraith I picked up was just as smooth as normal champ and identical in shape to my pro.

Destroyers and Nukes, 425 average. Wind isn't too big of an issue for me.

Been throwing a 150g Blizz Destroyer that I really like. Had a 138g Boss that I didn't care for but would try again maybe. Just got a few Blizz Katanas from a guy here and so far it's been really flippy but if I throw it on a hyzer angle I can get it to flip up and turn right and fade left like it should.

Always nice to see one of my threads go 1000+ posts.

No lie, blizzard are less stable then their heavier counterparts. I have a 172 and a 156 Katana (both champ). The 172 is the most stable disc I own and I cannot turn it over BH.

The 156 turned over right out of the box. We can argue all we want but they appear less stable to me.

Always nice to see one of my threads go 1000+ posts.

No lie, blizzard are less stable then their heavier counterparts. I have a 172 and a 156 Katana (both champ). The 172 is the most stable disc I own and I cannot turn it over BH.

The 156 turned over right out of the box. We can argue all we want but they appear less stable to me.

If you can't turn over your 172 Katana, I have a feeling you got a freakishly overstable Katana. I have over 10 Kats, and all of them turn over to some degree.

Destroyers and Nukes, 425 average. Wind isn't too big of an issue for me.

Destroyer would be a good one then...sub 140 if you want it to float in water, still very stable and handles winds up to about 15mph (cross/head), where it gets a little less controllable. All of the Destroyers seem to be really nice. I'm not a Boss fan and haven't thrown any blizzes, but people seem pretty happy with them. Ape, too.

Latest posts