• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Books

rusch_bag

* Ace Member *
I have been told to read books on the mental part of sports by numerous people. I have finally decided that I want to actually do it as this is my biggest flaw and I have time now since it is the summer. Do any of you have any good suggestions for these sort of books? And do any of you have any success or failure stories from these?

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book has good mental tips (you just need to pick through all ball golf technique stuff)

"Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect" by Bob Rotella is a great resource. There's little to no talk of physical technique - mostly focused on visualization, building confidence, and practicing in a way that translates smoothly onto the course. It turned me on to the idea of a pre-shot routine that's both physical and mental - this has become a crucial part of my game since reading thr book, especially for putting.

Beto told me Your 15th Club: The Inner Secret to Great Golf by bob rotella on facebook when I asked him if anyone else wanted more suggestions besides me.

Zen Golf, by Dr. Bob Parent. There's some talk of ball golf technique, but I feel that all of the mental aspects translate. I just finished it a couple months ago; I think it's helped some. It's not a magic pill obviously, but a lot of wisdom that has definitely helped me. I feel a lot better about my mental game as of late.

Dookville said:
"The Sports Psych Handbook"- Shane Murphy

The lighter side of having fun playing sports. "Catcher in the Rye"- Bob Eucher

Boy you best not go spelling Bob Uecker's name wrong again or else.

plus the book is called Catcher in the Wry.

Zen Putting - which I believe is the same guy who wrote Zen Golf is a good one as well. You have to weed out the golf talk, but there is a lot of tidbits in there about fixing mental errors and losing strokes in the short game.

I was talking to the local pro and he said that barry schultz told him to read Mental Toughness Training for Sports: Achieving Athletic Excellence by James E. Loehr several years ago.

Any of Bob Rotella's books are great. I think I have read them all. It really makes a difference whether you follow his suggestions, however. Just reading the book may not help a ton. You have to put in the work too.

Frank Delicious said:
Dookville said:
"The Sports Psych Handbook"- Shane Murphy

The lighter side of having fun playing sports. "Catcher in the Rye"- Bob Eucher

Boy you best not go spelling Bob Uecker's name wrong again or else.

plus the book is called Catcher in the Wry.
You must have been a school teacher in another life Frank. Question is, have you read the book?

These books are OK, but a lot of them are gimmicky and only sell a lot when they tell people what they want to hear, instead of what they need to hear.

Instead, find a 950+ rated grandmaster, that's a living book right there, and the older they get the faster they cut through the BS and give you the essence. There is no way that these folks are able to stay in the game and continue to be competitive without a huge mental game advantage. I've heard so many profound things via this route. While I can't say I've yet solved all my own problems with my mental game, they have definitely put me on the road.