• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brace leg and cracking the whip (backhand drive)

Might as well put this question here... does this describe bracing....at all?

You're inside a car going very fast, at the finish line car 1 goes past the finish line and the player throws a disc at the same time. Car 2 instantly stops at the finish line as the player throws the disc. Wouldn't car 2's throw be ejected from the car much faster?

People try to do these problems with conservation of angular momentum because it makes the math easier, but to understand you have to look at a free body diagram and the actual forces.

IMO. In this case, both humans are moving at the same speed and other things being equal would throw at the same speed.

In car 2, what happens depends on the coefficient of friction between human posterior and car seat. If very low, then the human will continue sliding forward towards the windshield at the same rate as the human in car 1 and the throw will be identical. If very high, the force of friction will be directed to the rear of the car. The human will decelerate but also tip forward, because this force is offset from the center of inertia. So at that moment the human is moving at the car speed but begins to rotate along a horizontal axis, head launching downward towards the glove compartment door. Since the arm and disc are above the center of inertia, I think there is a net acceleration, and for an instant the disc in car 2 is moving faster than that in car 1, provided the car seat is sufficiently rough, the person is sufficiently heavy, and his posture is sufficiently vertical for a rotation to be inititated.

If the person is wearing a seat belt, then the rotation becomes inevitable. But consider how hard it is to say "hold my beer" and then throw a disc from a moving car wearing a seat belt. Are we smart enough to do both?

Nice vid, hadn't seen that one before. Really emphasizes the importance of the hershhyzer drill, just coming into that invisible wall butt first.

There was a thread a while ago by hub about the vertical drop. I think you mentioned it's easier on the body to allow gravity to provide some momentum by dropping into this wall vertically rather than just smashing into it horizontally. JRay seems to be a big fan of Will so it makes senses he's all about that horizontal momentum

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback. Trying to work through these things. Question:
Should the core muscles be super tight in order to connect the shoulders to the hip rotation, or should you be loose through the torso and somehow be transferring momentum / whipping? What does the core feel like during the throw?

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback. Trying to work through these things. Question:
Should the core muscles be super tight in order to connect the shoulders to the hip rotation, or should you be loose through the torso and somehow be transferring momentum / whipping? What does the core feel like during the throw?
Think of it as a spring loading and unloading. The muscles get stretched in transition and then you need to resist/load against separation to return/snap/unwind back to neutral to release.

Think of it as a spring loading and unloading. The muscles get stretched in transition and then you need to resist/load against separation to return/snap/unwind back to neutral to release.
Ok, I'm going to paraphrase back to you just to make sure that I understand the takeaway from you and the video, because it's very different from my prior understanding:
There should be moderate tension in the core from the start, so that the "spring" has some tension to pull against. The "spring" doesn't really get stretched during the backswing or the final stride, but as the brace foot is coming into full contact with the ground and causing the hips to fire through their rotation to face the release point, the core muscles are stretched and you want to fire them like crazy and get the feel of a twisted sit-up in order to pull your backside ribs towards your frontside hip, thereby pulling your shoulders to face the release point?
Did I correctly describe the timing and feel of those actions?

Ok, I'm going to paraphrase back to you just to make sure that I understand the takeaway from you and the video, because it's very different from my prior understanding:
There should be moderate tension in the core from the start, so that the "spring" has some tension to pull against. The "spring" doesn't really get stretched during the backswing or the final stride, but as the brace foot is coming into full contact with the ground and causing the hips to fire through their rotation to face the release point, the core muscles are stretched and you want to fire them like crazy and get the feel of a twisted sit-up in order to pull your backside ribs towards your frontside hip, thereby pulling your shoulders to face the release point?
Did I correctly describe the timing and feel of those actions?

I feel the twist or stretch pressure as I begin to pull the disc into the power pocket. This is due to the hips beginning to unwind into strong brace. At strong brace the disc should be fully in to the power pocket and now you feel the pressure move up more in the lat and on up to deltoid in the shoulder. I feel like it's my backside pulling that disc from the picket into release. The only part of the arm I feel is holding onto the increased mass of the disc as it is whipped through.

Think of an activity you already know how to do which engages the chain. Something simple like punching. How does it feel? I would say fluid, effortless but also balanced and very sturdy.

Might as well put this question here... does this describe bracing....at all?

You're inside a car going very fast, at the finish line car 1 goes past the finish line and the player throws a disc at the same time. Car 2 instantly stops at the finish line as the player throws the disc. Wouldn't car 2's throw be ejected from the car much faster?

Edited: to remove my comment.