• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams Suspended

Given what we know, was the PDGA suspension of Bradley Williams correct?

• Yes, and the amount of time was correct.

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Yes, but the amount of time was not correct.

Votes: 69 29.1%
  • No, the process was flawed.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No, Bradley Williams should not have been suspended at all.

Votes: 16 6.8%

• Total voters
A couple of things:

- I didn't make a comparison. I asked a nonsensical rhetorical question ("should the PDGA membership decide his punishment?") and thought it was amusing that two people thought I was being serious. Lighten up, Francis.

- Just to provide a specific example, Florida St. QB Malik Henry was recently suspended indefinitely for "a violation of team rules". Technically, I guess they gave a reason, but it was no more specific then saying Bradley was suspended for "a violation of PDGA rules". Would that explanation satisfy you? Somehow I doubt it.
It's really not at all unusual for something as nebulous as "a violation of team rules" to be provided as the reason for suspensions across a number of sports. It's also not unusual for some version of "the real story" to leak out via any number of reliable and less than reliable sources, and I'm fairly certain the same thing will happen here. Then you will be free to rail endlessly about how unfair the PDGA is or whatever less than helpful commentary you choose.

Bottom line - you weren't there and you don't have any idea what circumstances were involved that led to the specific punishment. Neither do I, but at least I have enough sense to leave it to people who do...

Why does any governing body have transparency in their behavior? You think it'd be okay if they started giving out various 18-month suspensions without explaining what a player did to deserve it? If they have no one to answer to (PDGA members/public, in this case), who's to stop someone at the top of the PDGA disciplinary division (?) from doing whatever they want regardless of how reasonable or unreasonable it is?

Sure, this is an isolated incident, and it seems everyone is somewhat aware of the Williams's current and previous transgressions. I bet you'd feel differently, though, if this wasn't an isolated incident and that continued to happen to various players without any explanation and no details passed through the grapevine.

Take the Jake Palmer situation, for example. Because he decided to film it and upload it to social media, we know exactly what he did and why he has been punished. Is a 3-month suspension warranted for him, though? Yeah, he wasted time, but it seems he did nothing in violating actual rules, except for possibly sportsmanship? If we hadn't seen the video, though, no one would be able to judge whether or not the punishment fit the incident. And without that knowledge, the disciplinary committee is free to do as they see fit without oversight.

So yes, I do think it is important for players to know what consequences may results from a player's behavior.

Fair points. At this point, with the PDGA handing out so few suspensions, I'm not particularly worried about a runaway disciplinary committee.

In the meantime, I'm not sure I want my transgressions publicized, if I incur a suspension.

The suspended players can always go public with their side of the story if they want. Perhaps the PDGA will respond then, or perhaps the players can grant the PDGA permission to go public with its side.

Perhaps the best reason for making the case public is to let future transgressors know what the probable penalties are. But, at this point, there are so few suspensions that it wouldn't seem to me to have much effect.

PDGA dropping the hammer. Thor's hammer. MC Hammer.

Note to self > Behave at future PDGA tournaments. They are watching. :D

Bradley's got game he will be alright. His reputation proceeds him. I feel like way too harsh a punishment unless additional details come out.

he was on probation, and violated it(probably many times, but finally someone called him out).

when anyone enters into a PDGA tournament they agree to play by a set of rules. certain players whose actions negatively affect their cardmates time and time again SHOULD be held accountable for their actions. Everyone paid the same entry fee and deserves a playing environment free of distractions by other players. courtesy violations like kicking bags, baskets, constant yelling/cursing etc should be penalized.

Funny how the PDGA likes to pick and choose their next ordeal.

Why has Nikko never received any disciplinary action, probation or suspension?

He has kicked/punched bags, trees, etc.

Dropped F Bombs on camera and in front of large galleries (including young, impressionable kids) and I've never heard of him being punished by the PDGA.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

And also, how about that whole Gateway Medium plastic debacle?

How many of Innova's discs/plastics over the years would pass flex tests?

Seems like perhaps the PDGA isn't very consistent, in anything.

Aren't these guys getting paid money when they win? They're professional athletes in some sense of that word, right? That's what the P in PDGA is all about, right? Where does that money come from? Not thin air I imagine so I would hazard a guess that the community responsible for that money does have some right to expect some transparency from the governing organization of their sport. At the very least you can't argue "none of your business" and jump on people for wanting to answers, freedom of the press and all that.

Personally I think every sport needs a Ron Artest type so this really unbutters my popcorn.

I am not going to chime in on the BW discussion. I know nothing (for certain) about the circumstances, history, etc.

I will only give this opinion, which applies to many PDGA issues. Member players ought to stop referring to "the PDGA" as "they". The PDGA is an "us". We are a member-driven organization utilizing the republic form of representation. If "WE" don't like anything that the PDGA does, all we have to do is get together and elect new people to the offices in the next few elections. Or even better, those who dislike what's going on should run to serve as an officer. They officers of the PDGA represent the members -- at least the members who choose to vote.

Nick Diaz - MMA - 5 years by Nevada Athletic Commssion - reduced to 18 months
Lance Armstrong - lifetime ban from ALL competitive sports, not just cycling
Maria Sharipova - 2 years from Tennis

Just some of the bigger ones... many more, but that should do the trick on name just ONE person to get 18 months.

From our own former DGCRer MTL....

For those of you who do not know I am the head of the PDGA discipline committee. I am making a statement through this channel and I probably should not be saying anything at all.
Today a player was suspended for a large amount of time and I think that is all I need to say about it. Beyond the fact that I can't, it's simply not respectful to not only the player involved but the other people that were involved in the situation to go into details about the incident.
Today has been one of the hardest days of my disc golf life. While it pains me to know that I had a very very small role, which I will define, in removing someone's ability to compete at the sport we all love for a period of time, I stand by it.
I do not want to come across as a bad guy and perhaps me saying anything at all makes me appear more defensive than needed and then almost guilty. Understand that my role in this situation is simply organizing a committee that investigated a situation. The PDGA execs and only them have the ability to suspend. My authority, or lack there of, ends pretty quickly. Outside of reviewing complaints, I have absolutely no power. My committee collects information and makes a recommendation about the case.
I have read some accusations today that my personal involvement as a player had a part in the outcome. While I cannot speak directly about the details of the situation I can definitely confirm that my personal involvement in the sport had nothing to do with it.
I also am a volunteer. I use my lunch hours, time away from wife and other instances to make sure that the integrity of the sport is upheld and people can compete without worrying about what someone will say do drink or smoke while they play.
Please do not feel you need to thank me for this work. If you truly want to thank me, follow the rules. Make it so my committee is bored. If everyone played like gentlemen and ladies, respected each other and took personal accountability for their own errant shots, our committee would not be needed.

So what is the significance of 18 months? Is there any or did they arbitrarily pull this number out of MTL's ass (presumably after removing his head first).

For those of you who do not know I am the head of the PDGA discipline committee. I am making a statement through this channel and I probably should not be saying anything at all.
Today a player was suspended for a large amount of time and I think that is all I need to say about it. Beyond the fact that I can't, it's simply not respectful to not only the player involved but the other people that were involved in the situation to go into details about the incident.
Today has been one of the hardest days of my disc golf life. While it pains me to know that I had a very very small role, which I will define, in removing someone's ability to compete at the sport we all love for a period of time, I stand by it.
I do not want to come across as a bad guy and perhaps me saying anything at all makes me appear more defensive than needed and then almost guilty. Understand that my role in this situation is simply organizing a committee that investigated a situation. The PDGA execs and only them have the ability to suspend. My authority, or lack there of, ends pretty quickly. Outside of reviewing complaints, I have absolutely no power. My committee collects information and makes a recommendation about the case.
I have read some accusations today that my personal involvement as a player had a part in the outcome. While I cannot speak directly about the details of the situation I can definitely confirm that my personal involvement in the sport had nothing to do with it.
I also am a volunteer. I use my lunch hours, time away from wife and other instances to make sure that the integrity of the sport is upheld and people can compete without worrying about what someone will say do drink or smoke while they play.
Please do not feel you need to thank me for this work. If you truly want to thank me, follow the rules. Make it so my committee is bored. If everyone played like gentlemen and ladies, respected each other and took personal accountability for their own errant shots, our committee would not be needed.

Man your post sucked on so many levels. Someone's going to tear it apart.

And, go

Whole lotta less-than-nuthin', there. Might've been better if MTL had just said nothing at all.

Latest posts