• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bummer

freeus

Par Member
Did some field work to try and work on distance. Messed my elbow up. Can't grip, can't lift, can't throw. Doc says lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)...ice, wear a brace, do stretches, might work back into playing DG in several months, might never be able to throw again. Real bummed :( :( :(

Sounds serious, I hope you heal fully and quickly. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if it weren't for DG.

I doubt that you won't play golf again. I had some major tennis elbow a couple years ago when I picked up sidearm and used it a lot. I just took it easy for about a month, got a tennis elbow brace, and didn't toss sidearm. I'm fighting some arm problems right now and I decided to learn lefty! You should do that. Its quite fun.

Good luck!

I hate to say use the search function here, but search for tendonitis and tendonosis. Somebody had some good comments about which is which and how to treat them. I had it really bad in both elbows at the same time (no idea how it happened) and I couldn't grip or toss for a month or so. It's been on and off since then, but the unable to grip part was only during treatments. The treatments were physical therapy, no disc golf for 4-6 weeks, then try it, then more physical therapy, then shots, then disc golf. It was over the fall/winter for me, so wasn't horrible since I hadn't played in winter previously.

I still have aches in the elbows, but I play whenever I want and I have no grip issues (aside from normal ones like early release :(

There are some cremes and such that have gotten some play, but I don't know that I can say they did much for me. There is a new creme the Dr. can prescribe that's sort of like topical ibuprofin and helps to reduce the swelling of the tendons.

The Dr.s will tell you that tennis elbow is a repetitive stress injury, but when it pops up all of a sudden, it sounds more like an injury done at that time rather than repetitive stress - thus, I think tendonosis came into play for one person. it's not identified often.

Good luck and think positive. It might be the end of your season, but I don't believe the end of disc golf for you.

good thing is that you went to the dr right away... i had elbow pain (turned out to be lateral epicondylitis) but waited a few months, and didn't see a dr until it was clear the pain wasn't going away by itself. some physical therapy + a couple rounds of blood injection helped, though healing was super-gradual (i'm 44). i need to be better with my strengthening exercises, to prevent reinjury.

mark12b said:
though healing was super-gradual (i'm 44)

I'm 52, everything I do is gradual :wink:

Thanks for the responses. I went out to the field a couple of times and tried throwing lefty with some lightweight understable stuff. Talk about feeling like a noob! Might have potential though, at least it's something to work on while healing up.

Latest posts